Re: 1979 Dodge transvan stalling

  • Sirrobyn0
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2007
      Mike, I've been around the 360 engine for years and from what you
      said I think you picked up some dirt or debris in the needle and seat
      or the idle jet in the carburetor. When you found that leaky fuel
      line and tightened it down, if the rubber hose is starting to
      deteriorate a small chunk off rubber may have broke off and got into
      the carburetor. So if it were me I would rebuild carburetor replace
      the fuel filter and inspect that rubber line if it is even
      questionable it should be replaced. On the subject of rebuilt
      carburetors I caution you strongly against buying a rebuilt unit at
      an auto parts store. Even if you order one they specifically list
      for you rig, the rebuilt units are often universally calibrated to
      work on a lot of differant applications, almost always resulting in
      runability problems and poor gas mileage. If it were me I would get
      a rebuild kit from a parts store and rebuild it myself. If I were
      unable to do the rebuild myself I would try to find a carburetor shop
      in my area. If you would like my advise on rebuilding your
      carburetor, if you have never done that kind of thing before I'd be
      more than happy to.

      Rob

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Michael VanPelt" <mvp1114@...>
      wrote:

      > OK - this might be a stupid question, but you're starting to end up
      in my
      > own experiences - - we have a 1979 TransVan on a Dodge 1-ton
      chassis, w/a
      > 360. At some point, the previous owner installed a fuel pump on
      a "D" loop
      > just before the fuel filter - - i.e. one line goes straight thru,
      but there
      > are two "Tee's" that run a branch line out to the pump and back
      into the
      > fuel line. Yeah, I thought it was stupid too :D
      >

      > Now, our TransVan, if she sits for a day or two, won't start
      unless/until I
      > run the pump for 15 seconds or so. This wouldn't be too bad,
      except it's
      > really easy to flood the engine. Today, she wouldn't start, so I
      pulled the
      > doghouse, and sure enough, when I cranked the engine and ran the
      pump, it
      > was squirting gas from one of the hose clamps just before the
      carb. I
      > tightened this clamp, and she started right up (after I let the gas
      > evaporate) and ran like a top.
      >

      > Then, tonight I ran some errands with it, had a warm engine, but
      when I
      > started it up one time during my errands, she died - as if it the
      idle was
      > too low and she stalled out. Started right up again, but stalled
      out a
      > couple of more times before I got home, when I sat at low idle.
      >

      > Now what the *(#@&$!_?????? I love this beast but sometimes I just
      want to
      > kick it.
      >

      > Mike

      > Mike VanPelt
      >
      > Director of Bands & Orchestras
      >
      > Riverside University High School
      >
      > 1615 E Locust St.
      >
      > Milwaukee, WI 53211
      >
      > 414-906-5035 (o)
      >
      > 414-304-1273 (h)
      >
      > 414-507-1408 (c)
      >
      > 414-906-4915 (FAX)
      >
      > mvp1114@...
      >
      > vanpemr@...
      >

      > _____

      On Behalf
      > Of Joel B. Chappell
      > Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2007 3:02 PM
      > To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: RE: [classicrv] Re: 1983 SouthWind 27' Class A, 454 P30
      chassis
      > info?
      >

      > Doug-
      >
      > I know... if I didn't run the rig for two weeks or more it would
      evaporate
      > dry and it was a very arduous cranking process to get it started.
      >
      > Joel B. Chappell
      > 21 Billings Street
      > Milford, NH 03055
      >
      > Joel, there should have been a timed circuit for that
      > fuel pump to allow the pump to run for starting, and
      > about 30 seconds after you let off the key, to give it
      > time to build oil pressure, otherwise you are running
      > your starter much harder than necessary. Doug

    • Michael VanPelt
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 24, 2007
        Rob -

        That's kind of what I thought - the MH ran fine today. I had the carb
        completely rebuilt about 9 months ago when we bought it & have had no
        problems except for the other day.

        I'd still like to know why the fuel pump was added where it was . . . and
        how it was . . . as I'm not sure what if anything it would do to really help
        in that position except to allow air in so the gas drains back to the tank.

        Shouldn't there be enough draw to pull the gas up without the extra pump?
        Would replacing the entire fuel line help? I've thought about that but
        haven't "got to it" yet.

        --- In classicrv@yahoogrou <mailto:classicrv%40yahoogroups.com> ps.com,

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 28, 2007
          Mike, about the D loop. Just out of curiousity is the stock fuel
          pump in use as well? I have seen some MHs that have really large
          fuel tanks like 75 gallon+ that have an two fuel pump in the tank and
          one on the block. I wonder if there is an additional pump in the
          tank that is not working and the add on pump is someones quick fix.
          Any chance you could take a picture of the pump and the D loop and
          post it here or E-mail it to me? I really curious about this.

          Thanks,

          wrote:

          > Rob -
          >

          > That's kind of what I thought - the MH ran fine today. I had the
          carb
          > completely rebuilt about 9 months ago when we bought it & have had
          no
          > problems except for the other day.
          >

          > I'd still like to know why the fuel pump was added where it
          was . . . and
          > how it was . . . as I'm not sure what if anything it would do to
          really help
          > in that position except to allow air in so the gas drains back to
          the tank.

          > Shouldn't there be enough draw to pull the gas up without the extra
          pump?
          > Would replacing the entire fuel line help? I've thought about that
          but
          > haven't "got to it" yet.
          >

          > Mike

          > Mike VanPelt
          >
          > Director of Bands & Orchestras
          >
          > Riverside University High School
          >
          > 1615 E Locust St.
          >
          > Milwaukee, WI 53211
          >
          > 414-906-5035 (o)
          >
          > 414-304-1273 (h)
          >
          > 414-507-1408 (c)
          >
          > 414-906-4915 (FAX)
          >
          > mvp1114@...
          >
          > vanpemr@...
          >

          > _____

        • Penny
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 29, 2007
            Doug, As you have a Trans Van, have you joined:
            http://www.championfleetowners.com/
            There is a lot of info on their new and old sites.
            By the way, my mechanic late husband installed an inline electric fuel
            pump on my Transtar, and I have to push the momentary button to get
            fuel pumped up to the carb, if it has been sitting for a few days.
            Just my tuppence (2 cents in Brit) Penny, TX
          • Michael VanPelt
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 29, 2007
              Rob -

              We put over 400 miles on the TransVan this weekend, stopped & started
              several times. Then, after we stopped to drop someone off, it stalled again
              backing out of the driveway. Started right back up, then ran fine again.

              Grrrrrrrr.

              It seemed to be at a really low idle just before it stalled - but when it
              started up again it was normal again.

              Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

              I'm starting to question the mechanics of the carb rebuild - could things
              just be too worn? Or are we dealing with grit getting past the fuel filter,
              maybe knocked loose from the fuel line? We had a normally pretty reliable
              shop install the rebuilt carb last fall.

              As for the fuel pump, I have a 30-gallon tank and only a 19' total chassis
              length, so I don't know why there would be multiple pumps as boosters but
              hey - I could be wrong. As far as I can tell the stock fuel pump is working
              fine - the only time we have to use the secondary pump is when it has sat
              for a few days . . . which is why I think that there must be some way air is
              getting into the system and the fuel line is draining back to the tank.
              Once it's been started, it will start just fine for the rest of the day and
              even the next day. I CAN start the beast without using the secondary pump
              but it takes a LOT of cranking.

              I took a pic of the D loop but it's rather hard to see. It's posted in the
              pictures section under 1979 Dodge TransVan. Let me explain how this POS is
              hooked up:

              1) Main line from the tank up to the engine, then a little more line in
              front of the passenger's tire well.

              2) a "Tee" out of the main line, with the main line going straight on and
              another to the fuel pump.

              3) another "tee" connecting back into the main line

              4) fuel filter, then carb

              For the life of me I don't know why this should be set up this way. Any
              ideas would be VERY appreciated.

              Mike

              1979 Dodge TransVan

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 30, 2007
                I understand the D loop now it is set up so the electric pump is like
                a primer. My motorhome with the 360 is not as bad as yours but if I
                let it sit over night 1 pump in the morning at it fires right up,
                after a week, pump it, crank it the repeat and it will start, if it
                sits for a few weeks or longer then it is a lot of pumping and
                cranking. Sometimes if the fuel pump (on the block) is weak it will
                make it worse but once the fuel in the float bowl of the carburetor
                evaporates, the pump has to fill up the float bowl before it will
                start. The way that electric pump is installed is very interesting
                but sounds like it is effective. I'd say if your okay with it being
                like that I'd leave it as is but if you would like to eleminate the
                extra pump I'd change the fuel pump and the starter, yes the starter
                you can get high torque starters for the old dodge engines that spin
                them over much, much faster and that can very much help with the
                extended crank time after sitting. But again I don't see much of a
                problem with you current interesting primer pump. Sometimes you can
                get carburetor problems (like cracks in the float bowl) that can make
                the evaporation happen fast or cause it to drip out very, very
                slowly, but I do not think that is the problem as you just had it
                rebuilt.

                As far as the idle stall it sounds like you have a piece of dirt or
                something in the carburetor most likely in one of the idle circuits.
                You could try one of those cleaner bottles you put into the gas tank
                but I think your going to have to take the carburetor apart and clean
                the inside. If you just had the carb rebuilt last fall you might
                still be under warrenty. One other thought is if your engine has an
                EGR valve it could be failing that could also cause a low idle and
                then stall. Let me know if you want to know how to test the EGR
                valve.

                Those are my thoughts on it,

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 30, 2007
                  Thanks, Rob!

                  I'll look it over - but could you refresh my memory on how to test the EGR?
                  It's been 20 yrs + since I worked on engines this old.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                    Well Mike this is how I would test the EGR valve. Remove the valve
                    from the intake manifold and look at the passenges and see if they
                    are all carboned up. If you own a vacumm pump I would put vacumm to
                    the EGR valve vacumm port and make sure the plunger moves smoothly
                    and seats okay. I would also turn the valve upside down on my work
                    bench and pour just enough water into the plunger side of the two
                    ports in the bottom of the egr valve. I would leave it set for a few
                    minites and see if the water leaks into the other port if it does the
                    valve is bad if it does not most likely it is good. Also if your
                    sitting on the distributor looking in at the engine the EGR valve is
                    just to the left and forward from the carburetor. Also not all of
                    the heavy duty 360 engines have EGR valves.

                    Good luck,
                    wrote:

                    > Thanks, Rob!
                    >

                    > I'll look it over - but could you refresh my memory on how to test
                    the EGR?
                    > It's been 20 yrs + since I worked on engines this old.
                    >

                    > Mike

                    > Mike VanPelt
                    >
                    > Director of Bands & Orchestras
                    >
                    > Riverside University High School
                    >
                    > 1615 E Locust St.
                    >
                    > Milwaukee, WI 53211
                    >
                    > 414-906-5035 (o)
                    >
                    > 414-304-1273 (h)
                    >
                    > 414-507-1408 (c)
                    >
                    > 414-906-4915 (FAX)
                    >
                    > mvp1114@...
                    >
                    > vanpemr@...
                    >

                    > _____

                  • Ron Mitchell
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                      If you suspect the EGR valve is not closing, which will definitely
                      cause a rough idle, try this procedure, from the GMC/Chevy TSB's.

                      1. Disconnect the EGR valve's vacuum port and plug the engine side of
                      the hose. (Golf tee's work good)
                      2. Connect a vacuum pump (like a Mity-Vac - look on Harbor Freight) to the EGR
                      3. Run the engine at 2500rpm
                      4. Pull a vacuum on the EGR valve to open it fully, then rapidly
                      release the vacuum (press the vacuum release button). Do this a few
                      times to break loose any carbon buildup on the valve seat and shaft.
                      5. Shut the engine down and reconnect everything. Happy Motoring!

                      My first EGR replacement on the GMC Safari cost $350 from the dealer.
                      The Chevy Blazer had a recall on the EGR and they replaced that one
                      for free. Then the mechanic told me about this procedure and it saved
                      me big $$$. I've never replaced an EGR since. They seldom really
                      fail, they just get carboned up and stick open.

                      Anyway, it's worth a try.

                      Ron
                      76 Coachmen