Older Generac Alternator

  • jacksadventure
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2007
      Hi everyone, I have been a member of this group for a couple of months
      but up til now have just sat back and read what others have said.
      Learned a lot !!! My wife and I are just starting out full timing. We
      have sold the house and moved into our class C 88 Honey Motorhome. I
      have completley remodeled the inside. (wish I had taken before and
      after pics) Now plan to start repainting the stripes on outside.
      Anyway... We don't have a generator so I hit the local junkyard and
      found an older Generac 5000 xp Alternator for $50.00 I have never seen
      a generator like it. It has a vertical shaft motor with a belt drive to
      the alternator. It hasnt run in a while but both the motor (tecumseh I
      think )and the alternator turn over. It has a large (almost looks like
      a motorcycle) muffler. Has anyone had any experience with one of these?
      Is it worth fixing up?
    • Scott Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 11, 2007
        I've got a newer Generac TXP in my '83 Shasta Class A, haven't run it
        yet. I gather it isn't as desirable as an Onan or Honda. The newer
        model is much closer to the Onan in layout than it is to the older TX.

        I found a diagnostic manual for the one you found at:

        http://www.usdieselengines.com/RV_Generators.htm

        Or here's a direct link to the file (XP Diagnostic Repair Manual):
        http://www.guardiangenerators.com/PublicPDFs/41124.pdf

        Looks like it was published in 1977, which gives a good idea of the age
        of the generator. If money is really tight, I'd say give it a try. You
        can almost certainly sell it for more than that on Craigslist.org if you
        decide you don't want it.

        Scott in Penfield NY

        jacksadventure wrote:
        > Hi everyone, I have been a member of this group for a couple of months
        > but up til now have just sat back and read what others have said.
        > Learned a lot !!! My wife and I are just starting out full timing. We
        > have sold the house and moved into our class C 88 Honey Motorhome. I
        > have completley remodeled the inside. (wish I had taken before and
        > after pics) Now plan to start repainting the stripes on outside.
        > Anyway... We don't have a generator so I hit the local junkyard and
        > found an older Generac 5000 xp Alternator for $50.00 I have never seen
        > a generator like it. It has a vertical shaft motor with a belt drive to
        > the alternator. It hasnt run in a while but both the motor (tecumseh I
        > think )and the alternator turn over. It has a large (almost looks like
        > a motorcycle) muffler. Has anyone had any experience with one of these?
        > Is it worth fixing up?
      • Jack Rabon
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12, 2007
          When you get that engine to run, if the generator does not produce any (or
          enough) voltage, do not despair. You might need to "flash the field".

          This is just a jolt of high direct current into the alternator. Often this
          function is done with a manual pushbutton, using the starting battery as a
          source of high current DC. There are good "do it yourself" info pages on
          the web.

          I had an 8kw Generac years ago, and it worked quite well. A bit loud, but
          very reliable.

          One more thing - not all generators have a happy life in the tight
          generator compartment of an RV. The gen must be designed to move a LOT of
          air through the compartment. A generator which started out as a
          construction site power source is designed to operate in free air. If you
          put this into a tight compartment, you must provide for the air flow, or
          put it on a slide out & only run it while parked.

          With only $50 invested, I would make a slide out & run it that way.

          Jack