Re: Van rear door, how to open

  • sharonjr
    Message 1 of 46 , Apr 3, 2007
      Thank you, that looks to be the only solution. I've decided the lock
      is probably either damaged or so full of dirt that, even tho' it feels
      as tho' the key is turning 'far enough,' pushing the button in the
      handle feels like the door is locked so it probably is. The inside
      panel has screws & some will be difficult to access but I do have
      tools that should do it. I appreciate your describing the process
      required to remove the lock assembly. I'm hoping that once I can
      access the interior of the door there will be a lever that, in most
      doors, is connected to a button at the bottom of the window. Maybe I
      can make an opening in the panel thru' which I can operate the lock &
      handle from inside? Thanks, Sharon

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Michael J. Kupec" <mkupec@...> wrote:

      > By the looks of the pics you posted, can't you pull the inside cover
      on the
      > passengers door to get to the locking and latching mechanisms? The
      actual
      > key door lock is only held in with a flat metal "C" shaped clip that
      fit's
      > into groves in the sides of the lock assy. Once you get the panel
      off you'll
      > be able to see it and reach in aith a pair of pliers and pull the
      letal tab
      > loose. Once that's done, the lock assy will pull out from the
      outside of the
      > door and then it's just a matter of either pushing down or pulling
      up on the
      > attached rod to unlock the door.
      >
      > Removing that panl shouldn't be that hard either, odds are they use
      the snap
      > in spring clips on the backside of the panel to hold it onto the
      door. Same
      > thing that was used to hold panels onto auto doors years ago. That just
      > takes a stiff flat putty knife to slide down beside the clips and
      pry the
      > panel away.
      >
      > Michael J. Kupec
      > mkupec@...
      > mkupec@...
      > http://www.blueovalcorral.com <http://www.blueovalcorral.com/>
      >
      > I don't know why they call this Hamburger Helper...it tastes fine by
      itself.

    • Lisa Shelly
      Message 46 of 46 , Apr 10, 2007
        Maybe you'd like to read a can like the one I'm holding in my hand of WD-40 before you continue to blow too much sunshine up each others skirts.In fact - everyone can read it for themselves so we don't have to get into how WD-40 is made - who applied for the patent - who bought who out & when.
        To ease the pain for everyone involved I took it upon myself to find out a few things. I hope next one of you gracious fellows don't decide to share with the class what it feels like to give birth. I don't think I could take it. They did forget to add to the uses - takes crayon marks off walls & out of cloths -
        The Van door is open & hopefully the subject closed. Sharon - feel free to mail me off list.

        Have a great day

        Lisa

        Can says it - Lubricates, Cleans, Protects, Penetrates AND Displaces Water. Lubricates being the first on the list (back of the can)

        The can says it contains petroleum Distillates.
        Facts and Myths
        about
        Petroleum Distillates
        by Dean Whitehead
        Read Biography Below

        A great deal of misinformation is circulating among the general public with regards to RV appearance products. In particular, I would like to take time to try and shed some light on the ambiguous and confusing use of the term "petroleum distillates".
        Recently, I have heard and read comments made in seminars, in Web site forums and even in product advertising about petroleum distillates that truly misinforms the consumer. Anyone who makes the blanket statement that products containing petroleum distillates are harmful has no real knowledge of science or petroleum refining. After forty years of direct experience with this issue I have learned that false information is usually meant to take advantage of the consumer's lack of knowledge in order to sell something that wouldn’t sell otherwise. This is unfortunate a
        WHAT ARE PETROLEUM DISTILLATES?
        Defining "petroleum distillates" is much like trying to define "liquids", because they can be many different things. Everyone may have a different mental image of a "liquid". Petroleum distillates are liquids, but so are water, whiskey, pancake syrup, eye drops, mercury, battery acid and motor oil. They all fall into the general category of liquids – yet they are all different. The liquids listed above have one thing in common – each of them has a distinct area of use where they are beneficial and effective. This same analogy applies to petroleum distillates, so let’s examine them in greater depth.

        Some people are mystified by the name itself “petroleum distillates”, but that is exactly what they are – products made from crude oil that have been distilled in a refinery and then usually processed further and purified in some manner. The word petroleum, derived from the Latin petra and oleum, literally means "rock oil" and refers to hydrocarbons that occur in sedimentary rocks of the Earth's crust. Because most people mistakenly believe that all petroleum distillates must be similar, they find it hard to believe that there are so many totally different types, many with completely opposite characteristics and uses. In fact, even the term "distillate" raises concerns in some minds. Yet, lots of common and very beneficial things are distilled – water is distilled to
        eliminate impurities and alcohol is distilled from fermented sugars. The list could go on and on, but the point is that distillation is neither good nor bad, just a tool to make something more useful.

        betnden@... wrote: I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one trying to correct folks about
        WD-40. Even though it has petroleum products in it, it's absolutely NOT a
        lubricant. It's a Water Displacement product, experiment #40, thus it's full
        name. It also washes the protective film off normal steel products. As a
        test, take 2 pieces of the same material and treat one with WD-40 and the
        other with nothing. Put them side by side for a few days and see which one
        rusts first.

        Dennis in Eastexas
        "It's not Rocket Surgery"