Re: [classicrv] Re: installing 454 air injection rails?

  • Ron Mitchell
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2007
      You could be right about the expansion thing. This is really a long
      shot, I've never dealt with this particular problem, but try freezing
      the rails before installation. Maybe they'll contract just enough to
      straighten out that other outer connection.

      Ron
      76 Coachmen

    • ned.crv@edwordsmith.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2007
        Tempting :-)

        betnden@... wrote:
        > I cheated on mine and hammered plugs into them. I haven't planned on
        > refurbishing it, just make it run. Headers might be in it's future to help
        > gas mileage.

      • Michael J. Kupec
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2007
          If the RV doesn't have to be emissions checked, why bother with the air
          injection, the pump alone sucks horsepower from the engine that you could
          certainly use for moving the vehicle. I'd just pull the whole stinking air
          injection setup and plug the holes with brass plugs. Or as has been
          suggested, just install headers be be done with it!

          I'm not condoning ignoring our polutions requirements for vehicles, but face
          it, a heavy RV really isn't a eco efficient vehicle. Keeping the rest of the
          engine well tuned will help withkeping emissions down low. The loss of the
          air injection setup isn't going to cause much additional pollution.

          Michael J. Kupec
          mkupec@...
          mkupec@...
          http://www.blueovalcorral.com

          I don't know why they call this Hamburger Helper...it tastes fine by itself.

        • Ron Mitchell
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4, 2007
            If you're going to remove the air injection/pump, you might also
            think about installing a Catalytic Converter "Test Pipe" and remove
            the Cat. I think JC Whitney and/or other automotive stores carry
            them. The air pump & injectors supply extra air for the converter (if
            I remember correctly). I did a similar thing on an '80 Mustang. It
            will add some power.
            This is not a good plan if you ever anticipate having to do an
            emissions test. Most states that do emissions on vehicles of this
            type will require all factory emissions systems to be there and
            operating. I had this problem with an 82 Ford pickup that the
            previous owner had removed and "lost" the air pump. All was well and
            the truck ran fine, until they started emissions testing in our
            county. No way the truck would pass and I couldn't find the right
            part in any junkyard anywhere around here. I ended up selling it to a
            guy in and area with no emissions testing.

            Ron
            76 Coachmen

            At 02:36 PM 03/04/2007, you wrote:

            >If the RV doesn't have to be emissions checked, why bother with the air
            >injection, the pump alone sucks horsepower from the engine that you could
            >certainly use for moving the vehicle. I'd just pull the whole stinking air
            >injection setup and plug the holes with brass plugs. Or as has been
            >suggested, just install headers be be done with it!
          • btrbal21
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 4, 2007
              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "ned.crv@..." <ned.crv@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone have a tip on how to install the air injection rail on
              454
              > exhaust manifolds? I'm trying to do it with the manifolds on the
              motor,
              > and having trouble getting the four pipes lined up and tightened
              down at
              > the same time. I can get the threads on three of them started, but
              the
              > fourth one is always cocked a little bit, and will end up cross-
              threaded
              > if I try to run it in. Same problem on both sides, so I think
              maybe the
              > problem is my technique, not bent rails. I wish I had put them on
              while
              > the manifolds were off, especially since the metal exhaust manifold
              > gaskets are ex-pen-sive.
              >

              > Anyway, I'm planning to take the manifolds off and attach the rails
              this
              > weekend, but if you know "the right way" I hope you'll give me a
              shout.

              > Thanks in advance!
              >
              > Ned Bedinger
              > 1984 Winnebago Chieftain 30'
              > try www.classicwinnebagos.com tell them 72 leisuretime sent you.a
              nice site with out the spam!!!!!!!
            • ned.crv@edwordsmith.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5, 2007
                Well, I did consider it gutting the air pump, but I've heard from
                reputable engineers that air injection lowers manifold and head
                temperature. I'm a little shy about the problems it might promote
                (cracks develop, etc). But I do sometimes dream swapping the engine A/C
                and Air pump for more useful belt-driven accessories

                The header solution is $$$ for what is really a minor fix.