serious question about spam problem

  • elsquared936201
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26, 2007
      Hi all-

      I dislike adding to the off-topic problem, but I'd like to ask a
      serious question about the spam problem in this group.

      I belong to 36 different Yahoo groups, on a wide variety of topics.
      (Five are RV-related.) Membership ranges from 11 to 3271. None of
      these groups have anywhere near the spam problem this group has. In
      several groups, I can honestly say I don't remember the last spam
      message that got through. So why does the classicrv group have such a
      severe problem? Obviously, whatever these other groups are doing to
      prevent spam is working, so I have a tough time believing it's Yahoo's
      problem. What makes classicrv more susceptible to spam?

      Larry
      elsquared@...
    • Al Fonseca
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2007
        I belong to many dozen groups myself and own and moderate a few. Best
        policy I've found is to put all new members on moderate for a few
        messages until they prove they are not spaming. Spamers won't post
        on-topic messages.

        Al

        http://community.webshots.com/user/roustabouter
        http://community.webshots.com/user/roustabouter2
      • ned.crv@edwordsmith.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2007
          *Off-list message*

          I dunno, Larry. Why do you think it is?

          --Ned

          elsquared936201 wrote:
          > Hi all-
          >
          > I dislike adding to the off-topic problem, but I'd like to ask a
          > serious question about the spam problem in this group.
          >
          > I belong to 36 different Yahoo groups, on a wide variety of topics.
          > (Five are RV-related.) Membership ranges from 11 to 3271. None of
          > these groups have anywhere near the spam problem this group has. In
          > several groups, I can honestly say I don't remember the last spam
          > message that got through. So why does the classicrv group have such a
          > severe problem? Obviously, whatever these other groups are doing to
          > prevent spam is working, so I have a tough time believing it's Yahoo's
          > problem. What makes classicrv more susceptible to spam?
          >
          > Larry
          > elsquared@...
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Wesley Furr
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 27, 2007
            I've offered the solution, as has Al. No one seems to want to do much about
            it, so we'll just keep on enjoying the spam I guess...

            Now...let's get back to Classic RV's...

            Wesley

            > I dislike adding to the off-topic problem, but I'd like to ask a
            > serious question about the spam problem in this group.
            >
            > I belong to 36 different Yahoo groups, on a wide variety of topics.
            > (Five are RV-related.) Membership ranges from 11 to 3271. None of
            > these groups have anywhere near the spam problem this group has. In
            > several groups, I can honestly say I don't remember the last spam
            > message that got through. So why does the classicrv group have such a
            > severe problem? Obviously, whatever these other groups are doing to
            > prevent spam is working, so I have a tough time believing it's Yahoo's
            > problem. What makes classicrv more susceptible to spam?
            >
            > Larry
            > elsquared@...
          • Duane
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2007
              Lets end it here and now.

              Dad

              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Wesley Furr" <wesley@...> wrote:

              > I've offered the solution, as has Al. No one seems to want to do
              much about
              > it, so we'll just keep on enjoying the spam I guess...
              >
              > Now...let's get back to Classic RV's...
              >
              > Wesley

            • bstar22003
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2007
                ---I haven't had any except for the day I posted.