Re: getting rid of an old RV

  • darkstardog
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2007
      Thanks for all the ideas. We are in Reno. Maybe we will give it one
      more try to figure out the overheating issue. It hasn't actually shown
      signs of overheating except for the gauge.
      I called all the auto-salvage and pick and pull yards around here and
      they were adamant about not taking older RVs. Ebay is a possibility I
      hadn't considered.
    • big bill
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 6, 2007
        hey dont get discouraged i bought my first rv on hear and currently
        working on .when i bought my rv all i knew ok it runs pretty good
        and well it was 1grand for a 23 ft rv. well i didnt know if anything
        worked b/c the coach batt was not hooked up and no lp so couldnt test
        that and 100volt pwr . but its a grand so i said what the heck. i
        drove it home in poring cold rain in nov in pa. no dash lights no
        turnsignals,no reverse lights but the radio worked and headlights
        lol. now i brought it home ok time to do a test, ok the ele fridge
        worked the converter worked,the water pump worked kinda. i thought i
        had it made. well that is until i went under the back frame which was
        roted out,good thing im a custom car builder. well i think your rig
        is in ok running condition. thats great b/c major appliances are not
        that much money, i got a great fridge for 238bucks with matching
        microwave in s/s. it only pulls 240watts and with a little
        inexpensive inverter i dont need to spend big bucks to get a gas
        fridge, hears something for you to think, a new clas c 25 ft runs
        around 50k up so it would take alot of work on your rig to go that
        high to not justafi it and you get to make it the way you want which
        my wife absolotly loves. im putting like 6 grand total in mine when
        im done and it will have 3 flat screen tvs 2 raios suround sound led
        accent litting better and more attractive low voltage liting and a
        screend in fold down patio and ill probly wont even spend that. just
        think you can have hardwood floor in your coach,wow. i know one thing
        thank god for ikea they should market for rv people the low voltage
        lighting all the little stuff the furniture fits great in rvs i got a
        couch from them for mine and used alot of the low voltage lights too.
        anyway thats my 2 cents .--- In
        classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "darkstardog" <darkstardog@...> wrote:

        > About a year ago we bought a very cheap '73 Dodge class C 19' RV.
        > We knew that most of the interior equipment didn't work. We only
        > wanted it as a shell for camping within 120 miles of home. The
        > previous owner was using it that way. We did think we might get
        some
        > of the interior stuff to work, and spent money on it, but the only
        > result was to reveal problems. The stove had a propane leak; this
        > has been supposedly repaired. The interior battery lights might
        have
        > a had a short and I am uneasy about using them. The toilet was
        > removed. when we tried to drive it, we found that it gets about 6
        > miles per gallon, which means we can't go too far between gas
        > stations. The big worry was that the engine appeared to overheat
        > several times according to the gauge. I don't know if this is an
        > actual problem or if the gauge is faulty. At this point, we had
        > spend so much more money than we had planned (for negative results)
        > that we gave up and stuck it in the yard for six months.
        >
        > We are now trying to decide whether to try again to get the gauge
        > looked at. There are two other alternatives. One alternative is to
        > dump it. We could only find one dump (50 miles away) that would
        take
        > it, and it would cost at least $400. The other possibility is to
        > sell it or give it away. My concern is that we might be handing a
        > big possibly dangerous problem to someone not equipped to handle
        it.
        > I'm discouraged about the whole thing. If we were to try to sell or
        > give it away, is there any advice on how to do it responsibly (in
        > addition to telling the prosepective buyer our experiences.)

      • Charles S Osborne
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 7, 2007
          Don't shoot the old horse (RV) just yet..

          One comment on your RV's potential shorted DC wiring.

          Don't overlook the fuse panel. If things have been sitting, corrosion can
          turn good connections into high resistance connections. On my '85 Itasca the
          overhead lights would sometimes flicker, dim, or not come on at all. I
          tracked it down to one of the 15amp fuses in the power converter fuse panel.
          Clean up the fuse or put in a new one. Clean with fine sandpaper and bend
          the clamps that hold the fuse so that they're tighter. Do all the fuses
          while your at it.

          Corrosion creates a hot spot that drops voltage and causes the springiness
          of the fuse holder connection to not hold as tight.

          Everything was fine after that.

          If the DC fuse panel is a recurring problem replace it with a new fuse block
          made for the blade type fuses. The blade fuses are more reliable connection
          wise and easier to find these days than the old glass 3AG size.

          Charles
          Brevard, NC
          '85 Itasca Windcruiser
          http://campus.pari.edu/k4cso/rv
        • Russ Neal
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 7, 2007
            You might try putting it on Craigslist.org for a nominal fee.
            Craigslist is free to use.