Re: [classicrv] Brush-On Paint & New Stripes?

  • Paula
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2007
      There is a dealer in Quartzsite, AZ during the winter that has a lot of
      replacement parts and last time we were there he had roll after roll of the
      striping tape for RV's. I thought someone said he is also on the Internet,
      if you could get his name you could probably get in touch with him.

      Paula
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "bobs92504" <advocate1@...> wrote:
        > Somewhere I saw it posted that there is a brush-on paint for boats
        > that works well for RV restoration. I remember that it was very
        > expensive, but was well recommended. Any one know of who makes this
        > stuff?? ALSO... Any sources for replacement stripes for RV's? I am
        > restoring a 86 Coachmen that is perfect other than it was left out in
        > the Califoninia sun and is now well done!!! Many Thanks...>>>

        It is Interlux Brightside Marine paint. You can get all kinds of vinyl
        striping on eBay. Look in 'signs and decals'. Or Coachmen might be able
        to help you.
        Just my tuppence (2 cents in Brit) Penny,TX
      • Eileen
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
          Here is a website for the striping:

          http://www.rvsg.com/

          Russ and Eileen

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "bobs92504" <advocate1@...> wrote:

          > Somewhere I saw it posted that there is a brush-on paint for boats
          > that works well for RV restoration. I remember that it was very
          > expensive, but was well recommended. Any one know of who makes this
          > stuff?? ALSO... Any sources for replacement stripes for RV's? I am
          > restoring a 86 Coachmen that is perfect other than it was left out in
          > the Califoninia sun and is now well done!!! Many Thanks...

        • smyrna5
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
            She might also try plain old Rusteolum. There is an
            extremely long thread here about people painting their
            cars with it with some amazing results. I tried some
            on my van and it worked great.

            http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2655425&page=0&fpart=57&vc=1

            Looking for earth-friendly autos?
            http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
          • Charles S Osborne
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
              I would second that. After pricing stripes for our Itasca 34' I decided to
              have a go at it with heavy automotive primer and Rutoleum. I sanded the
              curling edges off to get to stripes that were not coming off ( amazing glue
              actually to hold as well as it does twenty years later). Then used heavy
              primer and wet sanding till the stripes' rough edges were filed in and
              feathered out to where they were no longer visable.

              I used six or seven different colors of Rustoleum to get a wide range of
              other colors. It was my first foray into using an airbrush. The mountain
              scene didn't turn out too bad. I still need to do some detail work and
              probably an outline to frame it would look good, after comparing to others.

              Painting a scene, even as a stripe is a lot of feet of artwork. Very tiring
              on the airbrush hand. Think simpler than I did with the design if you go
              this route.

              So far the rustoleum is very durable to washing and no sign of any color
              changes after three years in the Sun.

              Charles
              Brevard, NC
              '85 Itasca Windcruiser
              http://campus.pari.edu/k4cso/rv/

              > She might also try plain old Rusteolum. There is an
              > extremely long thread here about people painting their
              > cars with it with some amazing results. I tried some
              > on my van and it worked great.

              http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2655425&page=0&fpart=57&vc=1

            • Smyrna5
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, smyrna5 <smyrna5@...> wrote:

                > She might also try plain old Rusteolum. There is an
                > extremely long thread here about people painting their
                > cars with it with some amazing results. I tried some
                > on my van and it worked great.

                http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2655425&page=0&fpart=57&vc=1

                I probably should have mentioned that the thread is over 100 pages
                long, and I sent you to almost the end. If you read through some of
                it, you won't believe what people are doing with both Rustoleum and
                Brightside with a high density paint
                roller.____________________________________________________________________________________
                > Looking for earth-friendly autos?
                > http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

              • Jabba Truck
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
                  A lot of people on the art car sites swear by "one shot" brand sign painter's enamel for its ability to resist fade over long periods.

                  She might also try plain old Rusteolum. There is an

                  extremely long thread here about people painting their

                  cars with it with some amazing results. I tried some

                  on my van and it worked great.

                  http://board. moparts.org/ ubbthreads/ showflat. php?Cat=0& Number=2655425& page=0&fpart= 57&vc=1

                  Looking for earth-friendly autos?

                  http://autos. yahoo.com/ green_center/