Another Battery Question

  • Al Feyen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2007
      This may sound a little odd, but it will settle and argument.

      Today I took my Class C out for it monthly exercise, and happen upon a friend who was broke down in a parking lot. All he really needed was a jump-start. The argument came when I hooked up the jumpers to my battery. My battery has both side posts and top posts. The Motorhome uses the side posts, and I clamped the cables to the top posts.

      My friend thinks I should have clamped the cables to the side posts because my alternator power would be there. I didn't think it would make any difference, and it is easier to connect the jumper cables to the top posts.

      Blessed Be

      AL

    • Richard Stratton
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
        It makes NO difference. If you were to cut the battery
        open (BUT DON'T!) you would see that internally they
        are the same post. Think of it as a "Y" inside with
        one leg going out the side, one leg going out the top
        and the last leg connected to the plates.

        --- Al Feyen <eaglestar200@...> wrote:

        > This may sound a little odd, but it will settle and
        > argument.
        >
        > Today I took my Class C out for it monthly
        > exercise, and happen upon a friend who was broke
        > down in a parking lot. All he really needed was a
        > jump-start. The argument came when I hooked up the
        > jumpers to my battery. My battery has both side
        > posts and top posts. The Motorhome uses the side
        > posts, and I clamped the cables to the top posts.
        >
        > My friend thinks I should have clamped the cables
        > to the side posts because my alternator power would
        > be there. I didn't think it would make any
        > difference, and it is easier to connect the jumper
        > cables to the top posts.
        >

        > Blessed Be
        >
        > AL

        > removed]

        Bored stiff? Loosen up...
        http://games.yahoo.com/games/front
      • JerryK

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
            Your right!! it's the same as if the cable was another two inches longer.

          • Joel B. Chappell
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
              There's no difference!

              They walk amongst us...

              Joel in NH

              Joel B. Chappell
              21 Billings Street
              Milford, NH 03055

              This may sound a little odd, but it will settle and argument.

              Today I took my Class C out for it monthly exercise, and happen upon a
              friend who was broke down in a parking lot. All he really needed was a
              jump-start. The argument came when I hooked up the jumpers to my battery.
              My battery has both side posts and top posts. The Motorhome uses the side
              posts, and I clamped the cables to the top posts.

              My friend thinks I should have clamped the cables to the side posts
              because my alternator power would be there. I didn't think it would make
              any difference, and it is easier to connect the jumper cables to the top
              posts.

              Blessed Be

              AL

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Bill Deisenroth
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
                You are right. The posts are connected internally so
                it makes no difference. You get the benefit of the
                alternator charge from both.
                Bill

                Be a PS3 game guru.