waste dumping

  • big bill
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
      i know this may sound like a silly question but how long can you keep
      waste in the tank before you have to dump it? i only have one tank for
      waste? rember im new at rving please be gentile
    • Duane
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
        The odor will let you know!!!

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "big bill" <billsbigf8@...> wrote:

        > i know this may sound like a silly question but how long can you keep
        > waste in the tank before you have to dump it? i only have one tank
        for
        > waste? rember im new at rving please be gentile

      • Barry
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
          Gentile as well as Jew can answer your question Bill.

          The waste be kept in ones black tank for as long as you can stand it!

          Usually, if one is not moving around, then a week is probably the limit before you fill it up or can't stand the smell.

          If the rig is on the road, then the agitation will keep things broken up and reduce 'piling up' of sludge....

          I would not advise keeping a full tank sitting for a long period of time.

          Regards,
          Barry

          big bill <billsbigf8@...> wrote: i know this may sound like a silly question but how long can you keep
          waste in the tank before you have to dump it? i only have one tank for
          waste? rember im new at rving please be gentile

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jerry Noone
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
            Adding to Barry's answer, it is always wise to let it fill up to 3/4 or so full before dumping it so you will get a nice "rush" of the nasties going out to promote good emptying. Also, remember to dump the black first and then the grey (or is it gray?) Leave the black valve open when you do this, then close first the black, the the gray (or is it grey?). Also, if you happen to have extra ice cubes when you are heading off to the dump station, dump them down the toilet and then drive to the dump station. The ice will bump around in there, helping to knock away some of the "particles" that maybe stuck to the tank. Remember to add some water to your tank after dumping - before using it. An inch or two of water in the tank will help keep paper and other things from becoming adhered to the bottom of the tank.
            Not sure if Barry is Jewish but I added the gentile part. ;-)
            Jerry
            Gentile as well as Jew can answer your question Bill.

            The waste be kept in ones black tank for as long as you can stand it!

            Usually, if one is not moving around, then a week is probably the limit before you fill it up or can't stand the smell.

            If the rig is on the road, then the agitation will keep things broken up and reduce 'piling up' of sludge....

            I would not advise keeping a full tank sitting for a long period of time.

            Regards,
            Barry

            big bill <billsbigf8@...> wrote: i know this may sound like a silly question but how long can you keep
            waste in the tank before you have to dump it? i only have one tank for
            waste? rember im new at rving please be gentile

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            #ygrp-mlmsg { FONT-SIZE: small; FONT-FAMILY: arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif}#ygrp-mlmsg TABLE { }#ygrp-mlmsg SELECT { FONT: 99% arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif}INPUT { FONT: 99% arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif}TEXTAREA { FONT: 99% arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif}#ygrp-mlmsg PRE { FONT: 100% monospace}CODE { FONT: 100% monospace}#ygrp-mlmsg * { LINE-HEIGHT: 1.22em}#ygrp-text { FONT-FAMILY: Georgia}#ygrp-text P { MARGIN: 0px 0px 1em}#ygrp-tpmsgs { CLEAR: both; FONT-FAMILY: Arial}#ygrp-vitnav { FONT-SIZE: 77%; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana}#ygrp-vitnav A { PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px}#ygrp-actbar { CLEAR: both; MARGIN: 25px 0px; COLOR: #666; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; TEXT-ALIGN: right}#ygrp-actbar .left { FLOAT: left; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap}..bld { FONT-WEIGHT: bold}#ygrp-grft { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; FONT-SIZE: 77%; PADDING-BOTTOM: 15px; PADDING-TOP: 15px; FONT-FAMILY:
            Verdana}#ygrp-ft { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: #666 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; FONT-SIZE: 77%; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px; FONT-FAMILY: verdana}#ygrp-mlmsg #logo { PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px}#ygrp-vital { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 20px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 2px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e0ecee}#ygrp-vital #vithd { FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 77%; TEXT-TRANSFORM: uppercase; COLOR: #333; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana}#ygrp-vital UL { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 2px 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px}#ygrp-vital UL LI { CLEAR: both; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0ecee 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e0ecee 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e0ecee 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0ecee 1px solid; LIST-STYLE-TYPE: none}#ygrp-vital UL LI .ct { PADDING-RIGHT: 0.5em; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FLOAT: right; WIDTH: 2em; COLOR: #ff7900; TEXT-ALIGN: right}#ygrp-vital UL LI .cat { FONT-WEIGHT: bold}#ygrp-vital A { TEXT-DECORATION: none}#ygrp-vital A:hover {
            TEXT-DECORATION: underline}#ygrp-sponsor #hd { FONT-SIZE: 77%; COLOR: #999}#ygrp-sponsor #ov { PADDING-RIGHT: 13px; PADDING-LEFT: 13px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 20px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e0ecee}#ygrp-sponsor #ov UL { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 8px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px}#ygrp-sponsor #ov LI { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; FONT-SIZE: 77%; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px; LIST-STYLE-TYPE: square}#ygrp-sponsor #ov LI A { FONT-SIZE: 130%; TEXT-DECORATION: none}#ygrp-sponsor #nc { PADDING-RIGHT: 8px; PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 20px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #eee}#ygrp-sponsor .ad { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 8px}#ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1 { FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 100%; COLOR: #628c2a; LINE-HEIGHT: 122%; FONT-FAMILY: Arial}#ygrp-sponsor .ad A { TEXT-DECORATION: none}#ygrp-sponsor .ad A:hover { TEXT-DECORATION:
            underline}#ygrp-sponsor .ad P { MARGIN: 0px}o { FONT-SIZE: 0px}..MsoNormal { MARGIN: 0px}#ygrp-text TT { FONT-SIZE: 120%}BLOCKQUOTE { MARGIN: 0px 0px 0px 4px}..replbq { }

          • ihabwynoi
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
              To add to the already great suggestions I also put in 1 cup of a liquid laundry soap, just happen to be using Kirkland right now and a cup of dry Calgon crystals. Then add about a litre of warm water. That seems to keep the smell down and so far we have had no 'stickies' either. It has also reduced the amount of $ we were spending of those expensive packets of blue deodorizer/breakdown stuff.
              Just never let your granddaughter use the MH as a play house. She filled our tank in less than 3 days, and we were staying in the house. I have never seen so much paper come out that pipe......gggggg Now we lock the door to the bathroom.

            • Al Feyen
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
                Bill,

                Quite frankly, I dump when full. or as I leave a campground. If you have low useage, I'd say dump before winterizing at the very least.

                AL

                big bill <billsbigf8@...> wrote:
                i know this may sound like a silly question but how long can you keep
                waste in the tank before you have to dump it? i only have one tank for
                waste? rember im new at rving please be gentile
              • Wesley Furr
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
                  Where do you get your Calgon? Can't remember if it was here or another
                  group that we had such a discussion recently...forgive me if it was here.
                  In any case, I can't seem to find the stuff anywhere...

                  Thanks,

                  Wesley

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
                    HI Wesley: Sorry for the delay in answering, we were busy having puppies.

                    I am lucky that I live in a rural area where we still have wells and in some cases extremely hard water. My local IGA grocery carries Calgon in a box. Its expensive though, about $9.00 but one box lasts the entire season.

                    -

                  • Wesley Furr
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
                      Puppies, eh? Sounds like fun! They're always cute!

                      I hadn't thought about the local IGA... We're in a rural area as well with
                      hard water. I'd like to get some to try out with laundry, etc. Seems to be
                      an elusive thing to find, but I've heard it discussed here and on another RV
                      forum, so I know it's out there somewhere!

                      Thanks,

                      Wesley