M-715 Transplant

  • foreverunstopable
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hi guys. I just found your site!!! Wow what info. Well I'm not sure if
      your going to like this or not. I'm pulling the drivetrain out of a 74
      Champion motor home. Its got the 440/727 and a dana 70 rear I think.
      Can anyone please tell me what kind of engine this is? I hear there is
      something special about the head, and the trans is "upgraded." Any
      information would be great. I dont know the HP/TQ its putting out but
      there are no leaks, runs super smooth, no smoke in exhaust. Anything
      is better than the 230 tornado I-6 I have so stock output will be
      adequate. What should I do to the engine and trans beore I put it in?
      Is there anything I should look for? Should I replace all the seals
      and have someone to the trans? I'm going to strip it all out. Is the
      generator/fridge ect worth anything? Thanks again guys. I look foward
      to hearing from you soon.
    • Wesley Furr
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2006
        I'm no mechanic, so I can't offer any advice on the engine questions. As
        for the value of the parts, anything that works is probably useful to
        someone out there. If it's got a *working* 6-gallon Atwood water heater, I
        could use one of those. :-) If the fridge is a gas/electric model and is
        still working, it's definitely worth something. I had been looking for one
        of those, but finally gave up and sunk $900 into a new one.

        If it's got a good demand water pump, my parents may be in the market for
        one...that's assuming it's not old enough to have the same air-pump type
        system theirs has currently. They called from the beach last evening (they
        left Friday, we're going to join them Tuesday/Wednesday), and mentioned that
        a pipe in the tank area had cracked and started spewing water when they
        turned on the pump to pressurize the system (dry camping).

        Wesley