Re: [classicrv] 1989 Mallard Sprinter

  • Scott Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
      michelle4shore wrote:
      > We recently purchased a 1989 Mallard Sprinter, and I am certain that
      > it is an orphan but I am not sure if it is as the "dealer" sold it to
      > us. It has a long sloping front end, and the only pic of this vehicle
      > that I have been able to find on the web looks totally different than
      > the one that I own. It is on a chevy chassis, P30 w/454, and I think
      > that Fleetwood bought the company. Anyone that has a pic, or a
      > reference would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks much
      >
      > i will post a photo as soon as I take one.

      A photo will be a big help. It appears that "Mallard Sprinter" (or
      "Sprinter by Mallard") was a line of RVs, or perhaps Mallard trying to
      change their name to Sprinter. A search brought up class Cs, class As,
      travel trailers and fifth wheels (all 1989.) Also, I saw some with Ford
      as well as Chevy.

      Here's a Chevy-based model:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160016527516

      If the link doesn't work for you, just plug in the item# in the ebay
      search field: 160016527516

      Scott in Penfield NY
    • Barry
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
        Thanks for the pictures Scott.
        My own Mallard is a 1990 Mallard Lexington. It has the same configuration and upholstery scheme. The body looks very different however. (It looks like a Bounder).
        Sometime in 1990, Mallard was bought by Fleetwood and Fleetwood only retained the Mallard line as a trailer product.
        I've found the RV to be a quality product.
        Barry

        Scott Williams <swillia5@...> wrote: michelle4shore wrote:
        > We recently purchased a 1989 Mallard Sprinter, and I am certain that
        > it is an orphan but I am not sure if it is as the "dealer" sold it to
        > us. It has a long sloping front end, and the only pic of this vehicle
        > that I have been able to find on the web looks totally different than
        > the one that I own. It is on a chevy chassis, P30 w/454, and I think
        > that Fleetwood bought the company. Anyone that has a pic, or a
        > reference would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks much
        >
        > i will post a photo as soon as I take one.

        A photo will be a big help. It appears that "Mallard Sprinter" (or
        "Sprinter by Mallard") was a line of RVs, or perhaps Mallard trying to
        change their name to Sprinter. A search brought up class Cs, class As,
        travel trailers and fifth wheels (all 1989.) Also, I saw some with Ford
        as well as Chevy.

        Here's a Chevy-based model:

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160016527516

        If the link doesn't work for you, just plug in the item# in the ebay
        search field: 160016527516

        Scott in Penfield NY

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • ihabwynoi
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
          Mallard is one listed as an orphan.

          What does 'orphan' brand mean. I know that in Sewing Machines it is a brand labelled by one company but mfg by another. Is this the same situation?

          Mallards of that description are quite common in SW Ontario......what would be the reason for that?

        • dxxx cxxxxx
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
            An ophan is a make where the manufacturer is out of
            business, so there is no factory support.
            (it's parent are dead)

            some of the companies have bought up by other
            manufactuers and may or may not be supported.
            i also found a rescource page (i think on the same
            site as the mfr. listing) that lists companies that
            support certain brands, orphans included. for
            instance, 1 company has the molds and is GM authorized
            to reproduce the parts for the old factory GM coaches,
            while others have bought the remaining inventory from
            defunct manufacturers and also have thier specs to be
            able to supply suitable replacement parts. Doug

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
              Thanks, so I guess that makes my Corsair an Orphan.
              Poor thing.