Re: [classicrv] 1989 Mallard Sprinter

  • dxxx cxxxxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
      Here is a link to a mfr list that also shows orphan
      brands: http://www.rvadvice.com/rvmfgs/MH.html
      yes, Mallard is one listed as an orphan.

      try a google search for your mallard. i have had
      better luck finding references on google than the
      others. Doug

      --- michelle4shore <michelle4shore@...> wrote:

      > We recently purchased a 1989 Mallard Sprinter, and I
      > am certain that
      > it is an orphan but I am not sure if it is as the
      > "dealer" sold it to
      > us. It has a long sloping front end, and the only
      > pic of this vehicle
      > that I have been able to find on the web looks
      > totally different than
      > the one that I own. It is on a chevy chassis, P30
      > w/454, and I think
      > that Fleetwood bought the company. Anyone that has a
      > pic, or a
      > reference would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks much
      >
      > i will post a photo as soon as I take one.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Scott Williams
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
        michelle4shore wrote:
        > We recently purchased a 1989 Mallard Sprinter, and I am certain that
        > it is an orphan but I am not sure if it is as the "dealer" sold it to
        > us. It has a long sloping front end, and the only pic of this vehicle
        > that I have been able to find on the web looks totally different than
        > the one that I own. It is on a chevy chassis, P30 w/454, and I think
        > that Fleetwood bought the company. Anyone that has a pic, or a
        > reference would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks much
        >
        > i will post a photo as soon as I take one.

        A photo will be a big help. It appears that "Mallard Sprinter" (or
        "Sprinter by Mallard") was a line of RVs, or perhaps Mallard trying to
        change their name to Sprinter. A search brought up class Cs, class As,
        travel trailers and fifth wheels (all 1989.) Also, I saw some with Ford
        as well as Chevy.

        Here's a Chevy-based model:

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160016527516

        If the link doesn't work for you, just plug in the item# in the ebay
        search field: 160016527516

        Scott in Penfield NY
      • Barry
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
          Thanks for the pictures Scott.
          My own Mallard is a 1990 Mallard Lexington. It has the same configuration and upholstery scheme. The body looks very different however. (It looks like a Bounder).
          Sometime in 1990, Mallard was bought by Fleetwood and Fleetwood only retained the Mallard line as a trailer product.
          I've found the RV to be a quality product.
          Barry

          Scott Williams <swillia5@...> wrote: michelle4shore wrote:
          > We recently purchased a 1989 Mallard Sprinter, and I am certain that
          > it is an orphan but I am not sure if it is as the "dealer" sold it to
          > us. It has a long sloping front end, and the only pic of this vehicle
          > that I have been able to find on the web looks totally different than
          > the one that I own. It is on a chevy chassis, P30 w/454, and I think
          > that Fleetwood bought the company. Anyone that has a pic, or a
          > reference would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks much
          >
          > i will post a photo as soon as I take one.

          A photo will be a big help. It appears that "Mallard Sprinter" (or
          "Sprinter by Mallard") was a line of RVs, or perhaps Mallard trying to
          change their name to Sprinter. A search brought up class Cs, class As,
          travel trailers and fifth wheels (all 1989.) Also, I saw some with Ford
          as well as Chevy.

          Here's a Chevy-based model:

          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160016527516

          If the link doesn't work for you, just plug in the item# in the ebay
          search field: 160016527516

          Scott in Penfield NY

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • ihabwynoi
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
            Mallard is one listed as an orphan.

            What does 'orphan' brand mean. I know that in Sewing Machines it is a brand labelled by one company but mfg by another. Is this the same situation?

            Mallards of that description are quite common in SW Ontario......what would be the reason for that?

          • dxxx cxxxxx
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
              An ophan is a make where the manufacturer is out of
              business, so there is no factory support.
              (it's parent are dead)

              some of the companies have bought up by other
              manufactuers and may or may not be supported.
              i also found a rescource page (i think on the same
              site as the mfr. listing) that lists companies that
              support certain brands, orphans included. for
              instance, 1 company has the molds and is GM authorized
              to reproduce the parts for the old factory GM coaches,
              while others have bought the remaining inventory from
              defunct manufacturers and also have thier specs to be
              able to supply suitable replacement parts. Doug

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
                Thanks, so I guess that makes my Corsair an Orphan.
                Poor thing.