Toasted the batteries on 89 Telstar

  • tarscampbell
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 2006
      Looked through the files section for help on the charger/converter.

      doe anyone know if there is a shunt or limiting device to install
      between the converter and the batteries to keep them for over charging?

      Is the only solution to buy a new 110/120 power source converter
      charger....?

      I am going to try and save the batteries however I have never been able
      to bring back to antwhere near the original life or power.

      ...merle...
    • tarscampbell
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 23, 2006
        The Telstar is equiped w/ a Magnetek 6300A converter model #6336.
        whgick means it is a 36 amp converter with a 30 amp pigtail to shore
        power. The charger is a 3 amp with a trikle charge when the
        batteries are full.

        The problem is the batteries overcharge if connected to shore power
        for any length of time. the 2 batteries are group 27, 125 amp hour
        or 750 MCA what ever that means. If I ever knew what MCA means I
        have forgotton.

        Thanks

        ...tars...

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "tarscampbell" <tarscampbell@...>
        wrote:

        > Looked through the files section for help on the
        charger/converter.

        > doe anyone know if there is a shunt or limiting device to install
        > between the converter and the batteries to keep them for over
        charging?

        > Is the only solution to buy a new 110/120 power source converter
        > charger....?
        >
        > I am going to try and save the batteries however I have never been
        able
        > to bring back to antwhere near the original life or power.
        >
        > ...merle...

      • dxxx cxxxxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 24, 2006
          Hi, MCA= marine cranking amps
          try installing a battery cut-off stitch (harbor
          freight item # 92688 or equiv.) it is the same type of
          switch used for a master cut-off switch on a racecar.
          the harbor freight version is a cheapie, but better
          ones can be found at many auto parts stores or Summit
          Racing or Jegs on the net or mail order.
          opening the cutoff switch will isolate the batteries
          fron the 12 volt converter so you won't boil them dry.
          then wire the trickle charger to the battery side of
          switch and it will keep the batteries topped off while
          they are not being used.
          an automatic version could also be wired up using a
          normally closed industrial contactor with a 110 volt
          control coil that would open the battery circuit when
          the shore power was energized. Doug

          --- tarscampbell <tarscampbell@...> wrote:

          > The Telstar is equiped w/ a Magnetek 6300A converter
          > model #6336.
          > whgick means it is a 36 amp converter with a 30 amp
          > pigtail to shore
          > power. The charger is a 3 amp with a trikle charge
          > when the
          > batteries are full.
          >
          > The problem is the batteries overcharge if connected
          > to shore power
          > for any length of time. the 2 batteries are group
          > 27, 125 amp hour
          > or 750 MCA what ever that means. If I ever knew
          > what MCA means I
          > have forgotton.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > ...tars...
          >

          > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "tarscampbell"
          > <tarscampbell@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Looked through the files section for help on the
          > charger/converter.
          > >
          > > doe anyone know if there is a shunt or limiting
          > device to install
          > > between the converter and the batteries to keep
          > them for over
          > charging?
          > >
          > > Is the only solution to buy a new 110/120 power
          > source converter
          > > charger....?
          > >
          > > I am going to try and save the batteries however I
          > have never been
          > able
          > > to bring back to antwhere near the original life
          > or power.
          > >
          > > ...merle...

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • tarscampbell
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 25, 2006
            Doug;

            Found the schematic, the voltage can be adjusted by finding the
            varible resister and adjusting. The charger is putting out about
            14.6 volts when it is apparantly supposed to put out 13.8 volts..
            according to the Magnetec schematic.

            Found a couple of shutoff switchs. I need to create a little room
            for the switch. the automatic switch sounds like the best deal. Have
            not found one yet....

            Thanks

            ...tars...

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 25, 2006
              Hi, even at 14.6 volts it should take a while to boil
              the batteries dry. the main thing is to keep the water
              above the plates in the cells. once air hits them,
              they oxidize, and they are never the same.
              but it still takes a while to ruin them.
              i don't know if they sell an auto switch or not.
              I am pretty sure that the older converters in these
              rigs do not have the voltage sensing float charger
              circuits like the newer battery chargers. the small
              float trickle charger (2 amp) to keep them topped off
              without overcharging runs about 10 bucks on sale at
              harbor freight for the cheapie. Doug