Further 'Fridge Question

  • Mike VanPelt
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
      OK - the thermoelectric 'fridge seems to be out . . . so here's
      another question -

      Would one of those 110v 'fridges that have no EXTERNAL cooling fins
      (has a built-in fan to move air across the internal cooling fins)
      work? It looks like one of those (meant to go right up agains a wall)
      will fit into the current 'fridge opening with room to spare around
      the sides and back . . .

      I don't know - these things are cheap - like $70-$80 - but I remember
      always worrying about the compressor when I moved a regular 'fridge
      and breathing a sigh of relief when it came on - and once when it
      didn't - after a move. Will these modern, self-contained mini
      refrigerators survive the motion, etc. of being in a motorhome -
      especially if it is not always turned on? Also, how much of an energy
      hog is one of these - will they drain the coach battery down quickly?

      Mike
    • Barry
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
        Mike,
        I would strongly suggest replacing or repairing what you've got. It's already plumbed isn't it?
        I've seen RV fridges on Ebay for as little as 100 dollars. (300 dollars for new ones!) You REALLY will like being able to depend on propane as well as electric. Plus RV units are built for the RV environment.
        You got a good deal, keep it a nice rig, and not a jury rig!

        Just my thoughts,
        B.

        P.S.-Welcome to RVing ownership!!

        Mike VanPelt <mvp1114@...>

        Will these modern, self-contained mini
        refrigerators survive the motion, etc. of being in a motorhome -
        especially if it is not always turned on? Also, how much of an energy
        hog is one of these - will they drain the coach battery down quickly?

        Mike

      • loul
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
          Hi Mike -

          My old propane/electric refrig gave out years ago and I replaced it with 11 cu ft GE. Best move I ever made. We've traveled to Fla, Texas, Mich and back & forth and around. Right now we're in Arkansas, a nice 100 degrees. We can drive a whole day and even the ice stays frozen and of course the time for recovery is very quick compared to the absorption type. The only consideration is if you were planning to spend a lot of time boon-docking, we don't. By the way, the interior space is almost double the absorption type for a given outside dimension.

          Regards,
          lou howard
          77 Apollo
          ===============================

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
            You can run the 110 power fridge off an inverter while going down the road.
            You need to run it off the generator or have it plugged in while parked as a
            deep cycle battery may only last 6 hours or so on its own.

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1 5:00 AM
              Our travel trailer came with an electric unit when we bought it used, but it
              was the type with the cooling tubing around the back of it exposed. It had
              been in there some time when we got it, and as far as I know it still works
              (sitting upstairs unplugged now that we got a gas/electric). If
              electric-only will suit your needs, keep in mind that at $80, you can throw
              out 10 or more of them before you've gotten up to the price of a
              gas/electric. Plus, the electric cools faster... BUT, doesn't do you much
              good if you're boondocking very long. I read some about how long they could
              be expected to run on a battery, and if memory serves, somewhere around
              24-36 hours was about it (at least in my situation).

              You might also want to shake around a fridge in the store...ours clucked
              around and was noisy riding in the back of the car. But, we never heard it
              when it was in the trailer...might get annoying in a motorhome if it clunks
              like that (not sure if it was just ours or not).

              Wesley

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Wesley Furr
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1 5:04 AM
                I looked and looked and looked (and still look for the fun of it sometimes)
                and rarely found them going that cheaply. And when I did, they were out of
                state, and shipping costs were high (if the seller would ship at all), plus
                the unknown of whether they would hold up to the thrashing that the shipping
                folks would likely give them... Of course I had already spent $50 on one
                from a junkyard that had a plugged cooling unit. But, I also learned a lot
                in trying to figure out what was wrong with it! I like to call it a $50
                class in the school of hard knocks. :-)

                Anyway...I would agree that a gas/electric unit is the way to go (if you can
                afford and justify it).

                Wesley

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1 5:27 PM
                  Typicaly cooling units don't cost much to ship, the largest ones are about 50 lbs.

                  Stu
                  www.snydersrvrefrigeration.com
                  home of the universal cooling kit

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 1 6:32 PM
                    I'm sure shipping just the cooling unit isn't too bad, and if it's packaged
                    well wouldn't be a worry to ship. It's shipping a whole fridge by someone
                    who isn't very careful about somehow crating it up, etc that worries me...

                    Do you do cooling unit work for the old Dometic units? I've got an antique
                    RM45a out in the shed that apparently has a slightly plugged cooling unit
                    (freezer freezes, fridge might get down to 60 degrees)...plus the heating
                    element is burned out. I go back and forth between getting rid of it or
                    hanging onto it for the few parts that are still good (dad has a 1971 Terry
                    with its original RM45 still working). I only hope my 1-year old RM2410
                    holds up as good as his has!

                    Your universal cooling kit looks interesting. How does it work when the fan
                    isn't running? Looks like it would hinder airflow around the fins if the
                    fan isn't running... When the fan is running, I can see where it could make
                    a big difference! Does the fan pull much current?

                    Wesley