Re: Update Dodge intake backfiring senerio

  • Richard Landry
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2006
      Bob,

      My dad has a 93 Dodge that had the same issues. Discovered that when
      setting the timing you had to disconnect the water temp guage wire
      which set off the check engine light. Once set, re-install the wire
      then shut it off and restart to clear the light, if restart does not
      clear it, then disconnect the battery to reset. Drove me crazy.

      Richard...
    • Sirrobyn0
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2006
        New wires yes. could be a vacuum leak I suppose
        , but I've been though it before and cann't find anything.
        thanks again,
        Rob

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, bob woods <rwoods9230@...> wrote:

        > "New distrubutor" new wires too?

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Sirrobyn0
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2006
          New wires yes. could be a vacuum leak I suppose
          , but I've been though it before and cann't find anything.
          thanks again,
          Rob

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, bob woods <rwoods9230@...> wrote:

          > "New distrubutor" new wires too?

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Dan Anderson
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2006
            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Sirrobyn0" <sirrobyn0@...> wrote:

            Hey I got a friend with a 360 as well doing the same thing.
            I haven't had much luck either.
            This one has a new Edle Brock 4 bbl. carb and all new ignition as
            well.
            All I can think is ELECTRICAL power supply being momentarly
            interupted. Have not got back to it yet since last fall, so haven't
            had a chance to check it out.
            Good Luck Dan

          • Sirrobyn0
            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2006
              Thank you all I'm going to take a closer look at the carburator base
              plate. It seams to me the new one was differant. you never know. I
              thank you all,

              Rob

              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "denisond3d3" <denisond3@...> wrote:

              > "Sirrobyn0" <sirrobyn0@> wrote:Well I got the Dodge 360 timing
              > chain done last weekend. .....Still backfiring up the intake. I
              could
              > not believe it.
              > ** I can only recommend trying a different carburetor, even a well
              > used one from a pickup or van. -- but along with a good carb base
              > gasket and a good spacer under the carb - if it had one
              originally.
              > The spacer needs to be one that is compatible with the carb above
              it,
              > since there might be some important vacuum passages that are formed
              by
              > the gasket under the carb. If the spacer or the gasket isnt the
              right
              > one, what should be a closed vacuum path might be open to air.
              > Remember that with a two barrel carb, one carburetor throat
              serves 4
              > of the cylinders only. The other carb. throats serves the other 4
              > cylinders - only. So the problem could be that one side of the
              carb
              > has a blockage/cru in the cruise or power circuit, but the idle
              > circuit is okay on both throats.
              > This type of problem is very hard to examine. Its not as if
              anyone
              > wants to look down the carburetor throats on an engine that is
              > backfiring! I have looked down there when slowing opening the
              > butterfly, and been able to see that fuel was leaving one venturi
              in a
              > much more noticeable stream than the other side of the carb - just
              > before it began to backfire into my face. Its one of the few times
              > do wear goggles.
              > I have been very frustrated with a carburetor that had one of
              its
              > main jets come unscrewed. Sometimes it would work fine, other times
              it
              > would misfire - afterfiring out the exhaust system though.
              > One simple test of the ignition, is to let the engine idle, and
              > pull the plug wires off one spark plug at a time; then replacing
              that
              > plug wire and moving to the next cylinder. What should happen is
              that
              > the engine should run about the same on 7 cylinders, regardless of
              > which cylinder is the one with the disconnected plug wire.
              > I have had a mopar v8 (a hemihead) that ran decently at no
              > but backfired viciously when we tried to move the car in gear.
              Turned