DIY RV painting?

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2006
      I was out washing my 27' Pace Arrow. If I can't afford gas for it I
      can at least wash off the crap it collects sitting in the driveway <g>.
      It needs a paint job, or it will after I sand down on the numerous
      spots of corrosion.

      This will be a DIY project (if I can't afford gas I sure can't afford
      to pay someone).

      Has anyone done this before?
      I'd like to get enough paint the first time for the faded off white
      and have all the cans come from the same batch lot. I could just read
      a can and see what it says about coverage and add 10 or 25% to that,
      I'd rather have a can or 3 left over than be short.
      Is the can coverage enough?
      What type of paint should I get?

      This is not going to happen until spring, it has to warm up a bit but
      I was hoping someone might have done this already and had some
      advice. I'm thinking rattle can paint but I do have one of those
      Wagner power sprayers that I have not used in years, I have a 6 gal
      compressor too.

      Any advice anyone?

      Thanks,

      Rob
      becida@...

      '77 Pace Arrow sitting in the driveway in western WA
    • Jerry Noone
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2006
        Wow! It all depends on what you want the final result to look like - rattle cans are not likely to give you a "fantastic" finish. Not sure about the power painter - never used one of those. If you do go the rattle can route, I really recommend that you pay the extra (I know, you can't afford gas) and get a good quality. There are rattle cans out there for a buck a can but I have tried them for various projects - all that I found for the cheapo price were pure crap!
        Now, if you happen to have a sprayer to go with that compressor, that would be your best bet. The real key to a successful (read that as meaning "nice-looking) paint job is in the prep work - scuff sand every inch that will be painted, follow that with fine steel wool and then wash it good - then wash it again and even a third time.
        I am sure there are many on here who will be offering their painting tips and advice so don't rush into it - wait and grab all the good info that always turns up on here.
        Jerry

        Rob <becida@...> wrote:
[...]

        Camping Camping food Camping first aid kit Camping equipment Camping tents Camping gear

        ---------------------------------

      • tim
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2006
          Hello

          I painted my executive with rustoleum high performance enamel last
          year (rattle cans) and it looks pretty good, coverage is good and it
          seems to cover a bit better than the cheap stuff paid about $5.00 a
          can at Lowes and took three cans to do each side of my 31ft motorhome.
          in gloss white.

          Glenn Anderson

          Jerry Noone wrote:

          > Wow! It all depends on what you want the final result to look like -
          > rattle cans are not likely to give you a "fantastic" finish. Not sure
          > about the power painter - never used one of those. If you do go the
          > rattle can route, I really recommend that you pay the extra (I know,
          > you can't afford
        • ray82609
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 9, 2006
            You can buy a cheap automotive type spray gun for about $20 now days
            and they work a lot better than a can of spray paint! I haven't
            painted my motorhome, but I have painted a lot of things that live
            outdoors. We have a farm/ranch store here that sells equipment paint.
            It looks good and holds up well to the elements. They don't custom mix
            it, but off white is one of the colors it comes in, or you could paint
            it John Deere green :-) It's a lot cheaper than automotive paint and I
            think it looks as good and probably holds up better.
            -Ray