REVCONS...

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 26, 2005
      Lorie,

      Your picture didn't come through for me, but I can assist. For starters, here's a list of the three worst things about Revcons:

      1. Rear tires are expensive for the single axle models.
      2.
      3.

      Actually, Revcons are probably the best RV deal on the planet. The quality is paramount, and the price is way low, compared to the water-leaking, stick and paneling, fiberglass bodied, shake-themselves-to-death truck chassis out there.

      Tell me which year and model you're looking at, ask some questions, and I'll do my best to answer them for you. Is this the one on Craig's List in Northern California?

      Mark in Modesto
      1978 Revcon 30 aka "Slowly Butt Shirley

    • lorie frye
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 26, 2005
        Thanks Mark, for the assistance. Yes, its the one on Craigs, 4200 looks like the best deal on there, and closest to what I can pay, but mostly I like the way it looks. Looks like you know about them and have one. What do you think about the one on Craigslist? I appreciate you advice. Thanks, Lorie

        Mark <mark@...> wrote: Lorie,

        Your picture didn't come through for me, but I can assist. For starters, here's a list of the three worst things about Revcons:

        1. Rear tires are expensive for the single axle models.
        2.
        3.

        Actually, Revcons are probably the best RV deal on the planet. The quality is paramount, and the price is way low, compared to the water-leaking, stick and paneling, fiberglass bodied, shake-themselves-to-death truck chassis out there.

        Tell me which year and model you're looking at, ask some questions, and I'll do my best to answer them for you. Is this the one on Craig's List in Northern California?

        Mark in Modesto
        1978 Revcon 30 aka "Slowly Butt Shirley

        Camping Camping food Camping first aid kit Camping equipment Camping tents Camping gear

        ---------------------------------

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 26, 2005
          Hi Lori,

          Well, I don't know THAT Revcon, though I've been watching it, as it looks pretty nice. I did phone, and talked to the sellers wife. She knows nothing, but she told me they'd inherited the thing from his uncle.

          The rear tires on the single axle models are an odd size. They're findable, as are the fronts (not quite as odd), but not cheap. You can't skimp on tires, and if tires on ANY vehicle are more than 5-7 years old, they need to be replaced, regardless of how much tread is left on them. It's the sidewalls that'll bite you... On the side of the tire is a date of manufacture code. It follows the DOT embossed on the side of the tire. Jot that number down, and somebody can help you decipher the exact date it was made.

          The Revcon you are looking at probably cost as much as a modest house in it's day. They were built to order for rich people. The design was conceived and executed by the step-son of Wally Byam, the guy who invented Airstream trailers.

          They have a custom built steel chassis, designed to accommodate the Olds Toronado front wheel drive, with a 455 cid rock solid powerplant, and an excellent, durable transaxle.

          Because of the way they were designed, they have a MUCH lower center-of-gravity, and a lower floor to boot, requiring only one step to board, rather than two or three as in many truck based coaches.

          The body is a stressed aluminum skin, riveted to aluminum frame members (instead of cheap pine 1x2). The interior is aluminum panels, which have a vinyl cladding, resulting in a (darn near) leakproof, rot proof, rust proof body, with an interior surface covering which will look like new forever (barring holes, terrible scrapes, etc.) with a good wipe-down.

          At first glance, the cabinet work appears to be a bit cheap, but that's a function of the special honeycomb material Revcon used, with wood-grained Formica heat pressed into place. It's designed to be light (to help keep the weight and center/gravity down) and, it too, is darn near bulletproof.

          Revcon's probably give the best, and safest, ride of ANY motorhome, especially those built on a truck frame.

          You'll probably get 9-13 mpg with a Revcon.

          There is an EXCELLENT group on the net, completely devoted to Revcons, with very helpful and knowledgeable folks. Here's a link:

          And there's a good site dedicated to the 'flatnose' Revcon (like the one you're looking at). Here's that link:

          And, should you want to know more about the 'slant-nose' models (1978+), here's a link to that site as well:

          http://www.geocities.com/revconprince/About.html

          Well, that oughta keep you busy for a bit! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

          Mark in Modesto

        • lorie frye

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 27, 2005
              G'morning Lori,

              I'm glad I could help. Have you decided not to buy that one? Did you see it in person?

              I think you're wise beyond your years to be sold on Revcons. When you finally find the one which fits for you, I think you won't be disappointed, as long as you check it out thoroughly beforehand. Be sure to avoid anything which has been sitting for many years, unless the price is so low that you just can't pass it up.

              FWIW, in my (rarely) humble opinion, the '78 tandem model is probably the best bet all around. It still has the Toronado drive train, but sports the newer slant nose body..the best of both worlds.

              Good luck,

              Mark in Modesto

            • lorie frye

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 28, 2005
                  Lori,

                  If you're anywhere near where it is, I'd urge you to go take a look at it anyway, regardless of your $ituation. At the very least, you'll have a sense of what Revcons are all about, especially that one. Have him fire it up and demonstrate the systems (heater, AC, generator, etc.). Check the date codes on the tires...chances are they'll be out of date, and can be used as a bargaining tool.

                  He may not get many bites on the thing. Revcons are relatively unknown, and a lot of people are afraid of something they don't understand...the front wheel drive part especially, even though it's an excellent powerplant for the coach. Most people don't look beyond that and wouldn't even consider owning such an 'oddball'. Little do they know...

                  Bottom line: if you're within fifty miles of the thing, go look at it anyway.

                  If you want to go off list, I'm mark at jello fish dot net . Feel free to ask questions any time.

                  Mark in Modesto

                • sknaugler
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 29, 2005
                    Lori,

                    You just need to call the Revcon's owner and tell them what you told
                    us about your finances, preferably before you look. If they at first
                    say no, just leave a way for them to contact you. You'd be surprised
                    how they might feel if the Revcon has been on the market for a while.

                    Honest sellers appreciate folks being up front about what you are
                    willing to pay before they spend time showing you their wares.

                    I recently bought a box trailer off Craigslist. The owner wanted
                    $3400, I offered $2600. When they refused I politely explained my
                    reasons for the offer and left them contact information. Two hours
                    later they counter offered $2850, which I took.

                    I have used this way of dealing with people selling used stuff many
                    times. The worse the seller can do is say no.

                    Steve

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 29, 2005
                        Hi Lori,

                        Sorry for the delay in responding, but my server took a dump and I missed a bunch of email to and from the various groups I belong to. As far as I can tell, it's still for sale. If you're not too far away from where it is, I would advise you to go take a look at it anyway, regardless of your $ituation, if for no other reason than to see a Revcon in person.

                        As Steve pointed out, they may end up selling it for a lot less than they're asking and, by doing nothing, you're vicariously telling yourself 'no'.

                        And, if you're really serious about getting your own Revcon, I strongly suggest you join the Revcon_curious group. We keep tabs on rigs for sale all over the country and there's tons of Revcon specific information there, straight from owner/devotees.

                        Feel free to contact me off list, if you want. I'm mark at jellofish dot net.

                        Mark in Modesto