Re: Dodge Overdrive Transmission

  • denisond3d3
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2005
      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Jack Rabon <rabonj@b...> wrote
      But just for fun, how about gearing the rear end for engine cruise of
      1800

      I have a 72 winnebago, with a 413-1 motor, the 727 tranny, a 4.56
      rear end, and 7.50-17" tires that stand 33" tall. At 55 mph the
      driveshaft is turning about 2550 rpm. There is about 200 to 250 rpm
      lost in the torque converter on level ground. The engine's torque
      peak is at 2700 rpm - the point where the engine is running at best
      effficiency. I get about 8 mpg when not towing enything. I can
      cruise at 50 or 60 or 65 with equal happiness.
      Mine has passed 100,000 miles, has been over the rockies in the
      summer time, has its original engine, original tranny. I cannot
      imagine improving that design.
    • Eric
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 7, 2005
        The only way you could run a big-ole MH at that rpm and at highway
        speed would be with a diesel ... OR a 440 or 413 with a HUGE stroker-
        crank in it.

        Jack Rabon <rabonj@b...> wrote:

        > But just for fun, how about gearing the rear end for engine cruise
        of 1800
      • tinner12002
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
          Lets say maybe 500 ci! 440 with 4.15 stroker crank...hmmmmmm

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <namvet67a1f@y...> wrote:

          > The only way you could run a big-ole MH at that rpm and at highway
          > speed would be with a diesel ... OR a 440 or 413 with a HUGE stroker-
          > crank in it.
          >

          > Jack Rabon <rabonj@b...> wrote:
          >
          > > But just for fun, how about gearing the rear end for engine cruise
          > of 1800

        • Jack Rabon
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
            Check out the links. One other way is to use forced induction.

            The links showed twin turbochargers added to the 440.

            Why not dream a little when cold winds blow?

            Jack

            Jack Rabon <rabonj@b...> wrote:

            > But just for fun, how about gearing the rear end for engine cruise
            of 1800
          • Ron Mitchell
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
              Ahh, Jack. A turbo system on the 440 would be very nice. Power to
              leap tall mountains at highway speeds and little or no fuel penalty
              at normal cruise. A wonderful dream.
              Ron

              At 12:43 PM 12/08/2005, you wrote:
              >Check out the links. One other way is to use forced induction. The
              >links showed twin turbochargers added to the 440. Why not dream a
              >little when cold winds blow?

            • enospamus
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
                Now if this is a Dream Conversion and we're not going to go out
                there and start barking knuckles in the sub-zero garage (or start
                flexing the plastic at the salvage yard). . .

                Taking into consideration we're looking at moving a lot of weight
                and mass, its a little different than a muscle car. If I pretend I
                really intend to cruise the BAMH (Big-Arsed-MH) at 55mph rather than
                75, what with stopping issues and all -- the stock 727/440 combo
                with 4.56 gears and 19.5 tires gives a pretty reasonable circa-2500
                rpm cruise.

                So if I wanted to install the OD, then I'd probably also want to
                look for different axle gearing (haven't looked but I'd wonder what
                there was up in the high-fives). That 1800 rpm looks good in a
                lighter car but I think too low on the power band to keep the BAMH
                rolling efficiently. And maybe that turbo would just be a great
                winter project next year too. . .

                Damn --- maybe, just maybe, I could stick a LineLock on the front
                brakes and do a big old smokey-ass burnout in the post race traffic
                jam and get my picture in Car Craft ..... I mean, you ARE supposed
                to daydream around the fireplace when those cold winds blow...... mel

                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Jack Rabon <rabonj@b...> wrote:

                > Check out the links. One other way is to use forced induction.
                >
                > The links showed twin turbochargers added to the 440.
                >
                > Why not dream a little when cold winds blow?
                >
                > Jack

              • Eric
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 11, 2005
                  Did you forget the MOST important aspect ? ... the aerodynamics of
                  the rig. ONCE you get the mass moving and you are driving on-the-flat
                  (which is where the most driving is done) --- weight really is not a
                  problem.

                  And where do you get those rpm figures? ...... Eric

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 11, 2005
                    A handy calculator can be found at:

                    http://www.richmondgear.com/101032.html

                    I agree that aerodynamics (or lack thereof) are/is relevant. With
                    any vehicle, especially a big barn door, drag increases
                    exponentially over 45mph and is more of a factor than weight, though
                    weight does play some small part. Because of that, once I decided
                    I'd prefer a Class A, I figure I might as well enjoy the comfort of
                    a 28-30 footer and not imagine I'm going to get better gas milesage
                    if I'd stick to a 24 foot.

                    In the block for Overdrive Ratio you can just plug in your gear
                    ratio. If you don't happen to have figures, a C6 and a 727 are
                    basically 2.45/1.45/1.0, plus a couple hundred rpm for converter
                    slippage.

                    Although this is fun to dream about around the winter fires, I'm of
                    the "if it ain't broke/don't fix it" mentality and would only be
                    looking seriously at OD's right after I saw the pile of gears and
                    the puddle of ATF lying under the RV. Otherwise I think gradual
                    acceleration/deceleration, a reasonable cruising speed, and other
                    judicious use of the right foot are worth the most. LineLock and
                    burnouts more of a cartoon idea. ..... :-)> mel

                    --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <namvet67a1f@y...> wrote:

                    > Did you forget the MOST important aspect ? ... the aerodynamics of
                    > the rig. ONCE you get the mass moving and you are driving on-the-
                    flat
                    > (which is where the most driving is done) --- weight really is not
                    > problem.
                    >
                    > And where do you get those rpm figures? ...... Eric
                    >

                    > "enospamus" <enospamus@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Now if this is a Dream Conversion and we're not going to go out
                    > > there and start barking knuckles in the sub-zero garage (or
                    start
                    > > flexing the plastic at the salvage yard). . .
                    > >
                    > > Taking into consideration we're looking at moving a lot of
                    weight
                    > > and mass, its a little different than a muscle car. If I
                    pretend I
                    > > really intend to cruise the BAMH (Big-Arsed-MH) at 55mph rather
                    > than
                    > > 75, what with stopping issues and all -- the stock 727/440 combo
                    > > with 4.56 gears and 19.5 tires gives a pretty reasonable circa-
                    2500
                    > > rpm cruise.
                    > >
                    > > So if I wanted to install the OD, then I'd probably also want to
                    > > look for different axle gearing (haven't looked but I'd wonder
                    what
                    > > there was up in the high-fives). That 1800 rpm looks good in a
                    > > lighter car but I think too low on the power band to keep the
                    BAMH
                    > > rolling efficiently. And maybe that turbo would just be a great
                    > > winter project next year too. . .
                    > >
                    > > Damn --- maybe, just maybe, I could stick a LineLock on the
                    front
                    > > brakes and do a big old smokey-ass burnout in the post race
                    traffic
                    > > jam and get my picture in Car Craft ..... I mean, you ARE
                    supposed
                    > > to daydream around the fireplace when those cold winds
                    blow......
                    > mel

                  • Eric
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 12, 2005
                      That CAL ...gave you those figures ? ..... something can't be right.
                      On my diesel dually - I have a 3.55 gear with about the same height
                      tires WITH a .69 OD and a LU converter - and this gives me about 2100
                      rpm @ 70 mph. I have not had a tach on my MH - but I am figuring
                      about 3400 at 70mph. A couple of 100 rpm TC slippage ? ..... that is
                      one BAD converter.

                      WHO here has done a total COST of a OD trans behind a RB engine?