Re: fuel additive vs higher grade fuel

  • Duane
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 6, 2005
      In Oregon thats all you can buy in the winter months. An anti-polution
      thing.

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Ron Mitchell <rmitchel@f...> wrote:

      > Interesting. I ran "Gasohol" in a couple of vehicles back in the
      > 80's. It was an Gasoline/Ethanol mixture (80/20, I think). I never
      > had a problem with it and was sad when they quit selling it.
      >
      > At 03:06 PM 12/06/2005, you wrote:
      > >Anyone ever run E85 fuel in their gas coach? I live in Arizona and
      > >found this website. Pretty
      > >interesting.
      > >http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/progs/ddown.cgi?
      e85toolkit/WHATS_NEW/360/1/0

      > > You can do a search for "E85" and get a ton of info.

    • Rob
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 6, 2005
        At 12/6/2005 02:00 PM,Ron Mitchell wrote:
        >Interesting. I ran "Gasohol" in a couple of vehicles back in the
        >80's. It was an Gasoline/Ethanol mixture (80/20, I think). I never
        >had a problem with it and was sad when they quit selling it.

        I Minnesota all fuel is Gasohol, 10% ethanol and the Arco AM/PM
        stations here in Washington have 10% ethanol in the fuel.

        Rob
        becida@...
      • todd snider
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 7, 2005
          I appreciate all the comments regarding fuel.

          My next question is lubrication. I live in Arizona - Any high mileage secretes to share? The only additive I've really considered is Morey's oil stabilizer. A long time mechanic of the family uses it and swears by it for high mileage applications. I did some reading and found a site called the oil bible which basically says all additives are not needed. They really don't like the ones with TPFE and the like. I really didn't see much regarding Morey's.

          I have a whine on decelleration that worries me a bit. The motor and tranny run and shift real strong. I'm thinking it may be the third member. I'm inclined not to do anything for now since we are using this for 40 mile trips across town. Are the M400 drive trains usually a little noisy?

          Thanks,
          Todd

          Rob <becida@...> wrote:
          At 12/6/2005 02:00 PM,Ron Mitchell wrote:
          >Interesting. I ran "Gasohol" in a couple of vehicles back in the
          >80's. It was an Gasoline/Ethanol mixture (80/20, I think). I never
          >had a problem with it and was sad when they quit selling it.

          I Minnesota all fuel is Gasohol, 10% ethanol and the Arco AM/PM
          stations here in Washington have 10% ethanol in the fuel.

          Rob
          becida@...

          Camping Camping food Camping first aid kit Camping equipment Camping tents Camping gear

          ---------------------------------

        • denisond3d3
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 7, 2005
            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, todd snider <todd2302000@y...> wrote:
            "My next question is lubrication. ....Any high mileage secrets to
            share?"
            I think the normal lube schedule, given in the service manual,
            would carry the M400 chassis to a million miles. I carry a grease gun
            with me, and do the greasing each 2k or 4k miles, as the book calls
            for. For some of the grease fittings, on the spring shackles and
            kingpins, you have to jack up the frame to take the weight off the
            part, to properly grease them.
            If the u joints havent been greased in years and thousands of miles,
            they might need replacement. This isnt because they are a weak point,
            but rather because they are supposed to be lubed each 2k or 4 k miles,
            same for the entire 22 lub fittings on the chassis. If you have the
            413 engine, there is a lube fitting on the water pump.

            "I have a whine on decelleration that worries me a bit. The motor
            and tranny run and shift real strong. I'm thinking it may be the
            third member.
            "Are the M400 drive trains usually a little noisy?"
            You can expect some rumble from the differential, and any whine I
            would think could be either differential 'play', or from inside the
            tranny. (Check the tranny fluid often - when old they will drip from
            the seals.) And make sure the differential fluid is kept up. That
            differential fluid also lubes the rear wheel bearings!
            The center support bearing for the driveshaft is somehing to think
            about replacing. They cant be regreased, and no bearing lasts for
            ever. They only cost about $15, and the only hard thing about
            changing them is to get the old bearing slid off the splines; it being
            a .002" interference fit. Dropping the driveshaft is necessary, but
            not that hard.
          • todd snider