Different workamping experience

  • Caryl Dennis
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 28, 2005
      I'm a new member, but a long time full-timer. Had to oldies, one a
      nightmare Fleetwood ($5,000 still couldn't stop the leak).

      I have found a different workamping experience at Enota Mountain
      Retreat in the North Georgia mountains. It is really beautiful. They
      are looking for more workampers if anyone is interested. You can
      check them out at www.enota.org.
    • brian fuller
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2005
        that place looks like it is some kind of cult,how are you suppose to make do
        with just $100.00 a month.sounds almost like the twelve tribes

        >From: "Caryl Dennis" <caryllynn2000@...>
        >To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [classicrv] Different workamping experience
        >Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:26:52 -0000
        >
        >I'm a new member, but a long time full-timer. Had to oldies, one a
        >nightmare Fleetwood ($5,000 still couldn't stop the leak).
        >
        >I have found a different workamping experience at Enota Mountain
        >Retreat in the North Georgia mountains. It is really beautiful. They
        >are looking for more workampers if anyone is interested. You can
        >check them out at www.enota.org.

      • Jerry Noone
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2005
          Most Work-kamping is a means of getting a campsite, meals (usually), hookups if they have them, and putting a few dollars in your pocket for gas to your next spot. Not supposed to be a means of earning a living by any means. Some pay more and some pay less. One really has to look at it as an adventure that is on-the-cheap. I don't have the site address at hand but there is a whole site dedicated to the workkamper experience. Some camps may be close to your home and you can go there for a summer (3 or 4 months) get free camping and a few dollars for very little work. There was one a couple years back near where I live - campsite with hook-ups and a small stopend - less than $100 a month, actually - but all you had to do was keep an eye on things and make a cell phone call to Mr. Ranger if there were any problems such as vandalism. Heck, it would have paid my gas there and back - unfortunately, they had over 100 people apply! I did not win the drawing so had to pay my own camping fees
          all summer, wherever I went.
          Just wanted to mention that it's not for everyone and it's not a summer job if you are looking to earn a "real living".

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2005
            Sorry - I took a quick peek and the site is simply called "workamper.com"

            brian fuller <btrbal@...> wrote:that place looks like it is some kind of cult,how are you suppose to make do
            with just $100.00 a month.sounds almost like the twelve tribes

            >From: "Caryl Dennis"
            >To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [classicrv] Different workamping experience
            >Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:26:52 -0000
            >
            >I'm a new member, but a long time full-timer. Had to oldies, one a
            >nightmare Fleetwood ($5,000 still couldn't stop the leak).
            >
            >I have found a different workamping experience at Enota Mountain
            >Retreat in the North Georgia mountains. It is really beautiful. They
            >are looking for more workampers if anyone is interested. You can
            >check them out at www.enota.org.

          • denisond3d3
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "brian fuller" <btrbal@h...> wrote:

              > ...how are you suppose to make do
              > with just $100.00 a month.....

              I have friends who are workcampers, along with their 4 small children
              and a bulldog. The wife homeschools their kids and cleans the
              toilets/showers. As opposed to the tiny wage they get from the
              campground, the husband makes most of his money from doing side jobs;
              mechanical repairs for people in the campground. He is the guy you
              call when your furnace wont work in January, the roof leaks in a heavy
              rain, or the blackwater tank is backing up. !!!