Re: [classicrv] Re: brakes

  • Scott Rayburn
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
      Yes, I have the 2 large vacuum boosters located in the middle of the frame on my 1973 winnebago Indian.
      Now that I know what I have, I need to find a schematic of my brake system, to make sure that nothing is missing or disconnected so I can continue on.
      denisond3d3 <denisond3@...> wrote:--- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "yellow_boxer_diesel"
      <yellow_boxer_diesel@y...> wrote:
      > how do you bleed the rear brakes on a 1973 winnebago with hydro boost?

      I didnt think the hydroboost brakes (which use power steering fluid
      to operate the booster) were used on Dodge based winnebagos until
      about 1975, though I suppose yours could be one of the scarce chevy
      based 73 winnebagos.
      Anyway, if you have 2 large vacuum boosters mounted inside the
      frame rail about halfway toward the rear axle, that is hydrovac
      brakes. If you have that system, I would advise bleeding each of the
      brake boosters before you do the wheel cylinders/or calipers. The
      hydrovacs would have one or possibly two bleeder screws on the top of
      the hydraulic part of the booster. Use penetrating oil, and give it
      as long to soak as you have time and patience for - a few days is good.

      And if you do have the hydroboost system, I would advise getting
      the hydraulic hoses replaced. If one of them splits open, you not
      only loose your power steering, but you lose the braking assist also..!!!

      Both hydrovac and hydroboost are Bendix brake systems, both used on
      chassis from various manufacturers, from the early 30s onward.

      Camping Camping food Camping first aid kit Camping equipment Camping tents Camping gear

      ---------------------------------

    • denisond3d3
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1 7:04 PM
        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rayburn
        <yellow_boxer_diesel@y...> wrote:
        > Yes, I have the 2 large vacuum boosters located in the middle of
        the frame on my 1973 winnebago Indian. Now that I know what I have,
        I need to find a schematic of my brake system, to make sure that
        nothing is missing or disconnected so I can continue on.

        I have the Dodge motor home service manual, and the Dodge motor
        home parts catalog, and neither has a full schematic of the brake
        system. The service manual has a few diagrams showing what the lines
        look line running to the rear axle, and to the front axle, etc.
        But basically it is a straightforward dual system. From the dual
        master cylinder, two lines run to the brake/warning/switch. This is
        the goody that makes the brake light on the dashboard light up if one
        of the two halves of your dual system is not working the same as the
        other side - like a leak or an air bubble. From the
        brake/warning/switch I believe the two lines run back to the boosters.
        One line going into each booster. Leaving each booster would be one
        line running to one side of the front axle, and one line going back to
        the rear axle. Mine is an M400, having 2 wheel cylinders on each side
        of the rear axle. The upper wheel cylinders are fed from one of the
        boosters, the lower wheel cylinders are fed from the other booster.
        Be sure to look carefully for corrosion on the brake lines where
        they run close to the frame rails and cross-members. This is where
        mud can fly up, and keep the outside of the brake line wet for months
        or years.
        You can get copies of the two manuals I mention above from:
        www.moparmanuals.com. Sometimes you find them on ebay, and I gave
        the correct titles. The ones for your RV would have covers that were
        red and white. The multicolored covers are for the 75 and later dodge
        motorhomes.
      • Joe Felix
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4 1:56 PM
          Would an '83 Georgie Boy, that uses a Chevy chassis use the Hydroboost?

          Scott Rayburn <yellow_boxer_diesel@...> wrote:Yes, I have the 2 large vacuum boosters located in the middle of the frame on my 1973 winnebago Indian.

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4 6:06 PM
            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Joe Felix <jefelix_the_cat47@y...>
            wrote: Would an '83 Georgie Boy, that uses a Chevy chassis use the
            Hydroboost?

            I dont know any details about the Chevy chassis used under the
            motorhomes, but I think it very likely you would have the hydroboost
            type of power brakes. I have an 87 Chevy G20 conversion van. From
            its technical manuals I know the hydroboost brakes were used on this
            chassis if it had the diesel engine - since the diesel engine doesnt
            provide any source for a vacuum.
            Here is how to tell what you have: It involves lying under the RV.
            Find the power steering pump, and follow its hoses. They should run
            to the power steering box, AND to the assembly that is connected to
            the master cylinder.
            If you go to google.com and do a search for "hydroboost", (an
            "image" search as opposed to a web search), you will get numerous
            pictures of the various hydroboost types.