brakes

  • yellow_boxer_diesel
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 19, 2005
      how do you bleed the rear brakes on a 1973 winnebago with hydro boost?
    • Chuck C
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 19, 2005
        I do mine with the engine running.
        Other then that, everything else is pretty much the same,,,, pump em up,
        hold it, open bleeder,,,,,, repeat until you have all the air out.
        Keep a close eye on the master cylinder and keep it topped off.
        Hope this is what you were asking.
        ChuckC

        > how do you bleed the rear brakes on a 1973 winnebago with hydro boost?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Rob
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 19, 2005
          At 9/19/2005 07:43 PM, you wrote:
          >how do you bleed the rear brakes on a 1973 winnebago with hydro boost?

          On my 77 Pace Arrow I:
          1) made sure I could open the bleeders. A squirt of penetrant then a
          wrench that fit on the hex fitting. Then I tap tap tap gently with a
          SMALL hammer in the lefty loosee direction. When that one moves I
          went to the other side. If you break the bleeder you have big problems.
          2) took the cap off the master cylinder and made sure it was full.
          3) I opened the back right bleeder and let gravity bleed it. I kept
          an eye on the MC fluid level and propped a small drip pan and rag to
          keep the mess as small as I could. After a quarter cup or so I closed
          the bleeder and went to the left rear and did it again.
          4) I did keep the master cylinder from running out of fluid while doing this.

          FWIW I have done this many times at the shop I worked at, gravity works great.

          Rob
          becida@...

          '77 Pace Arrow sitting in the driveway in western WA
        • denisond3d3
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 20, 2005
            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "yellow_boxer_diesel"
            <yellow_boxer_diesel@y...> wrote:
            > how do you bleed the rear brakes on a 1973 winnebago with hydro boost?

            I didnt think the hydroboost brakes (which use power steering fluid
            to operate the booster) were used on Dodge based winnebagos until
            about 1975, though I suppose yours could be one of the scarce chevy
            based 73 winnebagos.
            Anyway, if you have 2 large vacuum boosters mounted inside the
            frame rail about halfway toward the rear axle, that is hydrovac
            brakes. If you have that system, I would advise bleeding each of the
            brake boosters before you do the wheel cylinders/or calipers. The
            hydrovacs would have one or possibly two bleeder screws on the top of
            the hydraulic part of the booster. Use penetrating oil, and give it
            as long to soak as you have time and patience for - a few days is good.

            And if you do have the hydroboost system, I would advise getting
            the hydraulic hoses replaced. If one of them splits open, you not
            only loose your power steering, but you lose the braking assist also..!!!

            Both hydrovac and hydroboost are Bendix brake systems, both used on
            chassis from various manufacturers, from the early 30s onward.
          • Scott Rayburn
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2005
              Yes, I have the 2 large vacuum boosters located in the middle of the frame on my 1973 winnebago Indian.
              Now that I know what I have, I need to find a schematic of my brake system, to make sure that nothing is missing or disconnected so I can continue on.
              denisond3d3 <denisond3@...> wrote:--- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "yellow_boxer_diesel"
              <yellow_boxer_diesel@y...> wrote:
              > how do you bleed the rear brakes on a 1973 winnebago with hydro boost?

              I didnt think the hydroboost brakes (which use power steering fluid
              to operate the booster) were used on Dodge based winnebagos until
              about 1975, though I suppose yours could be one of the scarce chevy
              based 73 winnebagos.
              Anyway, if you have 2 large vacuum boosters mounted inside the
              frame rail about halfway toward the rear axle, that is hydrovac
              brakes. If you have that system, I would advise bleeding each of the
              brake boosters before you do the wheel cylinders/or calipers. The
              hydrovacs would have one or possibly two bleeder screws on the top of
              the hydraulic part of the booster. Use penetrating oil, and give it
              as long to soak as you have time and patience for - a few days is good.

              And if you do have the hydroboost system, I would advise getting
              the hydraulic hoses replaced. If one of them splits open, you not
              only loose your power steering, but you lose the braking assist also..!!!

              Both hydrovac and hydroboost are Bendix brake systems, both used on
              chassis from various manufacturers, from the early 30s onward.

              Camping Camping food Camping first aid kit Camping equipment Camping tents Camping gear

              ---------------------------------

            • denisond3d3
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2005
                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rayburn
                <yellow_boxer_diesel@y...> wrote:
                > Yes, I have the 2 large vacuum boosters located in the middle of
                the frame on my 1973 winnebago Indian. Now that I know what I have,
                I need to find a schematic of my brake system, to make sure that
                nothing is missing or disconnected so I can continue on.

                I have the Dodge motor home service manual, and the Dodge motor
                home parts catalog, and neither has a full schematic of the brake
                system. The service manual has a few diagrams showing what the lines
                look line running to the rear axle, and to the front axle, etc.
                But basically it is a straightforward dual system. From the dual
                master cylinder, two lines run to the brake/warning/switch. This is
                the goody that makes the brake light on the dashboard light up if one
                of the two halves of your dual system is not working the same as the
                other side - like a leak or an air bubble. From the
                brake/warning/switch I believe the two lines run back to the boosters.
                One line going into each booster. Leaving each booster would be one
                line running to one side of the front axle, and one line going back to
                the rear axle. Mine is an M400, having 2 wheel cylinders on each side
                of the rear axle. The upper wheel cylinders are fed from one of the
                boosters, the lower wheel cylinders are fed from the other booster.
                Be sure to look carefully for corrosion on the brake lines where
                they run close to the frame rails and cross-members. This is where
                mud can fly up, and keep the outside of the brake line wet for months
                or years.
                You can get copies of the two manuals I mention above from:
                www.moparmanuals.com. Sometimes you find them on ebay, and I gave
                the correct titles. The ones for your RV would have covers that were
                red and white. The multicolored covers are for the 75 and later dodge
                motorhomes.
              • Joe Felix
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
                  Would an '83 Georgie Boy, that uses a Chevy chassis use the Hydroboost?

                  Scott Rayburn <yellow_boxer_diesel@...> wrote:Yes, I have the 2 large vacuum boosters located in the middle of the frame on my 1973 winnebago Indian.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
                    --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Joe Felix <jefelix_the_cat47@y...>
                    wrote: Would an '83 Georgie Boy, that uses a Chevy chassis use the
                    Hydroboost?

                    I dont know any details about the Chevy chassis used under the
                    motorhomes, but I think it very likely you would have the hydroboost
                    type of power brakes. I have an 87 Chevy G20 conversion van. From
                    its technical manuals I know the hydroboost brakes were used on this
                    chassis if it had the diesel engine - since the diesel engine doesnt
                    provide any source for a vacuum.
                    Here is how to tell what you have: It involves lying under the RV.
                    Find the power steering pump, and follow its hoses. They should run
                    to the power steering box, AND to the assembly that is connected to
                    the master cylinder.
                    If you go to google.com and do a search for "hydroboost", (an
                    "image" search as opposed to a web search), you will get numerous
                    pictures of the various hydroboost types.