1979 Layton 5th wheel

  • Eric Harlow
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2005
      Group,

      I have recently purchased a 1979 Layton 5th wheel 16'. I bought it
      because I attend many sheepdog trials (Border Collies) and have been
      sleeping in a tent for too long. It has everthing I need, shower,
      stove, queen bed, etc, etc. Single axle.

      As soon as I starting home with it I noticed the front end was not
      attached to the frame, fixed this with a lot of bolts. The front
      end seemed to float over the frame.

      Anyway, at this point I have replace no less then 5 water pipes that
      were leaking, some VERY badly. My issue is that I got all the pipes
      to stop leaking, now I want to figure out what is wrong with the
      water pump. I understand it should turn on WITHOUT my jumping it
      directly to a battery. It dosn't turn on by itself. I took it
      apart and can see how it works but no luck in it actually working.
      I testing it and there is power coming to the pump-head switch. The
      pump motor works great. After surfing a couple sites I see you can
      order a new pump-head. They cost more then the a new pump. Should
      I order the new pump or just the pump-head? I started thinking if I
      order the pump it may not come with the head, do I need a new head?

      Answers for a newbe would be greatly appricated.

      Eric
      www.harlowshillswestcoast.com
    • Eric JT Halrow (Home Account)
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9, 2005
        Group,

        I had to give up and drop her off at the shop this morning. After a few
        hours of troubleshooting I still couldn't get the Pilot light on the furnace
        or water-heater to stay lit. The stove and fridge work great. I just hope
        it doesn't cost me a lot of money to get working. Hot water and heat are
        very important when you are out in the middle of a pasture with no hookups.
        I plan to use it for sheepdog trialing, I have been in a tent for the past
        three years. Looking forward to a shower and heat.

        I did manage to get all the water pipes replaced, 5 of them in total and I
        replaced the pump.

        I wonder if everyone leaves the heater and fridge running in the winter or
        do you simple dis-connect the gas and empty the water? Do you take the step
        of blowing out the water lines to ensure no water is in the pipes?

        Eric
      • Loul
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 9, 2005
          Hi Eric -

          We have spent several winters in colder areas and left all the propane utilities hooked up and running. The water pipe thing is a bit different as well as holding tanks. On our rv, all the pipes are inside a shell so that when there is heat in the m/h the pipes are ok. However many rv's have their pipes running outside the rv so that in that case, they might well freeze. Holding tanks, dump valves, etc can freeze as well. To insure they do not freeze, you can either blow out the lines, tanks, etc or use a special antifreeze for rv's that is not poisonous and fill the lines with that.

          Regards,
          lou howard
          77 Apollo
          =================================

          I had to give up and drop her off at the shop this morning. After a few
          hours of troubleshooting I still couldn't get the Pilot light on the furnace
          or water-heater to stay lit. The stove and fridge work great. I just hope
          it doesn't cost me a lot of money to get working. Hot water and heat are
          very important when you are out in the middle of a pasture with no hookups.
          I plan to use it for sheepdog trialing, I have been in a tent for the past
          three years. Looking forward to a shower and heat.

          I did manage to get all the water pipes replaced, 5 of them in total and I
          replaced the pump.

          I wonder if everyone leaves the heater and fridge running in the winter or
          do you simple dis-connect the gas and empty the water? Do you take the step
          of blowing out the water lines to ensure no water is in the pipes?

          Eric

          Camping food Camping gear Maine camping