Re: [classicrv] Need help unbolting seats

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2005
      A few suggestions:

      Cut a groove into the top of the round (carriage?) bolt head with a Dremel tool, and use a screwdriver to keep it from turning while hubby goes below with the ratchet and socket.

      If it's too tight for that, tack weld a perpendicular piece of steel to the slot, but have a bucket of water handy to keep the wood from burning.

      You could clamp vice-grips to the end of the theads, then unbolt the nut enough to shove the carriage bolt up high enough to whack 'em off with a Sawzall and a metal cutting blade. The last threads will be destroyed, so you better forget about unscrewing it over them, if you choose this route.

      Drill the head off the bolt (use a box wrench from underneath to hold it while drilling)

      Mark in Modesto

    • John
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2005
        Hello Jodi

        Since you are not keeping the pedestals, you could grind off the round
        top and push the bolts down and out of the rv.
        Electric grinder or air grinder.
        I bought an electric grinder from Harbor Freight and it was about $10.00
        I thought what the heck, if it didn't work I was not out a lot of money.
        It does work and very well.
        Here is the address if you are interested.
        http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?
        CategoryID=104&pricetype=
        Copy and paste and off you go.
        John