Re: [classicrv] Need help unbolting seats

  • Chuck C
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3 2:06 PM
      Jodi,
      If you can get to the nuts from the underside, you might be able to use a nut splitter to remove the old rusty nuts.
      Here is a picture of the above mentioned tool.
      Click to see nut splitter -----> http://tinyurl.com/cek4q
      Good Luck
      Chuck C

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3 2:30 PM
        A few suggestions:

        Cut a groove into the top of the round (carriage?) bolt head with a Dremel tool, and use a screwdriver to keep it from turning while hubby goes below with the ratchet and socket.

        If it's too tight for that, tack weld a perpendicular piece of steel to the slot, but have a bucket of water handy to keep the wood from burning.

        You could clamp vice-grips to the end of the theads, then unbolt the nut enough to shove the carriage bolt up high enough to whack 'em off with a Sawzall and a metal cutting blade. The last threads will be destroyed, so you better forget about unscrewing it over them, if you choose this route.

        Drill the head off the bolt (use a box wrench from underneath to hold it while drilling)

        Mark in Modesto

      • John
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4 8:35 AM
          Hello Jodi

          Since you are not keeping the pedestals, you could grind off the round
          top and push the bolts down and out of the rv.
          Electric grinder or air grinder.
          I bought an electric grinder from Harbor Freight and it was about $10.00
          I thought what the heck, if it didn't work I was not out a lot of money.
          It does work and very well.
          Here is the address if you are interested.
          http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?
          CategoryID=104&pricetype=
          Copy and paste and off you go.
          John