Making progress on refurb

  • Tammy
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2005
      Hi everyone,
      I just wanted to let you all know that we are coming along great on
      Maggie's refurbishing. We originally planned to have her up and
      camping in time for Memorial Day, but it didn't happen. Instead we
      spent the weekend putting a new ceiling in her, we did pretty good
      only damaging one panel. We sealed the roof using Peel and Seal.
      Since we put it on we have only found one spot that still leaked. It
      has now been sealed also, and after rain last night she was dry
      today...yippee. We don't know how long this fix will last; we are
      just hoping to make it until next year. We repaired the damaged
      kitchen wall, painted the stove and hood with high temp engine
      paint, and have done allot of paint and wallpapering. We are nearly
      finished with her interior. She needs a little trim and some
      completion work in the areas over the bunks.

      Next step is the exterior; overall it is in good condition. We need
      to remove the old stripes, which I have found to be painted on, the
      old vinyl already removed. Not sure which would have been easier to
      remove. We are going to try a graffiti remover to remove the painted
      on stripes, if that doesn't work I will turn to mineral spirits. Any
      better suggestions would be appreciated. Cross your fingers that we
      will be in a campground within the next couple weeks. That is as
      soon as Dan finds the caps from the drive shaft that he lost! We may
      have to go buy new ones. Oh well, that's life with a classic hubby,
      oops...I mean RV.

      Tam
    • Les Beyer
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Tammy" <tammyiam@a...> wrote:
        > We are going to try a graffiti remover to remove the painted
        > on stripes, if that doesn't work I will turn to mineral spirits. Any
        > better suggestions would be appreciated.

        As an antique furniture restorer, I use mineral spirits for many
        different things. I am not an expert on automotive finishes however, I
        can tell you the mineral spirits will have little, if any, effect on
        painted stripes. But it will remove any road tar or tree sap from your
        MH exterior. It's also great for removing the sticky residue from old
        bumper stickers and decals.
        Les
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
          I'll agree completely with Les...mineral spirits will do nothing except clean it up.

          If it's paint, and not vinyl stripes, you'll either have to sand it off, destroying what's underneath in the process, or sand it lightly, mask and repaint the stripes. You might get away with a mild paint stripper, but you'll have to stay right on top of it to prevent the stuff from eating into the paint below. It will probably stand out like a sore thumb regardless.

          You could alter the design, widen the stripes, change their color, add another color strip atop the old ones, add graphics or logos...but you'll have to work around those stripes unless you want to repaint the whole side of the coach.

          Hope that helps more than disappoints, but it's easier to ride the horse in the direction it's going....

          Mark in Modesto
          '78 Revcon 30

        • Charles S. Osborne
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
            I went thru the stripe removal process last year with similar lessons
            learned. Trying to scrape or sand is a lot of work. Amazing how some of the
            glue and stripes hang on after 20 years! About time the stripes start coming
            lose they just melt and load up the sandpaper. Eventually I conceeded defeat
            and just used an orbital sander to break off any lose edges that had curled
            up (the original problem that started the exercise). Then using finer
            sandpaper I blended the edges a little.

            Then I covered the area between the stripes with thick automotive primer and
            wet sanded. Repeat a few times till you can't see the edges or missing chip
            spots anymore. Then overcoat with whatever stripe design or color you want.

            I had some minor fiberglass repair work and a body crack to bondo. So I was
            motivated by that area needing treatment painting and priming at the same
            time.

            I airbrushed a mural to cover things. Still have some detail work and maybe
            an accent stripe to go above and below. But it sure beats the flaking
            stripes. And didn't turn out half bad for my first attempt at airbrush work.
            The paint was mixed as needed from about five or six colors of Rustoleum
            enamel.

            Just remember an old painting rule.. enamel over laquer is OK. Laquer over
            enamel is a no no. It will melt into the enamel. If you're not sure what you
            are painting over, try it first somewhere unobtrusive. Clean the old
            surfaces thoroughly too. A professional prep called Kean-Easy will help get
            rid of old hidden wax and oils. Otherwise the paint will "fish-eye".

            Even a spray can finish can look good with a lot of care and attention to
            detail.

            Good luck with it,
            Charles Osborne

            '85 Itasca 34ft Windcruiser RV
            http://campus.pari.edu/k4cso/rv/
          • Jerry Noone
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
              Don't forget about the Krylon Fusion paint. Made for plastics but works better than most paint on other areas too. The painted on color stripes on my rig (painted on aluminum) had nearly disappeared so I decided to spray it with rattle cans - very small stripes and painted into molded aluminum - After 3 bad starts with various paints made for aluminum, I scrubbed them down again and shot them with Krylon Fusion. That was a couple years ago and they still look new. I am hoping to experiment with painting on the fiberglass parts this summer - the old decal type stripes are really becoming ugly! Anyway, I'll let y'all know how it works or if I go a different way for tat part.

              Jerry

            • Duane
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
                I am about to paint the fibreglass roof and side trim on my
                Executive MH. Someone suggested that I might want to use marine
                expoxy. Would that be a good idea?

                Dad

                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Noone <rjerryc01@y...> wrote:

                > Don't forget about the Krylon Fusion paint. Made for plastics but
                works better than most paint on other areas too. The painted on
                color stripes on my rig (painted on aluminum) had nearly disappeared
                so I decided to spray it with rattle cans - very small stripes and
                painted into molded aluminum - After 3 bad starts with various
                paints made for aluminum, I scrubbed them down again and shot them
                with Krylon Fusion. That was a couple years ago and they still look
                new. I am hoping to experiment with painting on the fiberglass parts
                this summer - the old decal type stripes are really becoming ugly!
                Anyway, I'll let y'all know how it works or if I go a different way
                for tat part.

                > Jerry

              • Mark
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
                  >I might want to use marine expoxy

                  You'd be hard pressed to do better, just follow the directions to the T and you'll probably be very pleased with the results.

                  One thing nobody tells you is, once you lay your masking tape in place, shoot it with a tiny bit of clear. The clear will bleed under the masking tape edge, dry, and prevent your color coat from doing so (the tiny gaps are already filled with clear).

                  It's an old model locomotive painter's trick, where the tiniest bleed can destroy a labor intensive paint job.

                  Good luck!

                  Mark in Modesto

                • Tammy
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
                    I appreciate the input guys. I have suggested to the hubby that we
                    have a friend of ours make up new graphics for her. He did our truck
                    with air brush on top of the graphics, it was really nice. The PO
                    painted over the trim pieces and everything. So I may have to use
                    paint thinner on them. I had also suggested your idea of just buying
                    new paint and going over the old stuff. He is convinced that graffiti
                    remover will work. We will see, if by some miracle it does. I will let
                    you all know. If not I may win this one.

                    Tam
                  • jeffreyharman1958
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 5, 2005
                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Noone <rjerryc01@y...> wrote:

                      > Don't forget about the Krylon Fusion paint. Made for plastics but
                      works better than most paint on other areas too. The painted on
                      color stripes on my rig (painted on aluminum) had nearly disappeared
                      so I decided to spray it with rattle cans - very small stripes and
                      painted into molded aluminum - After 3 bad starts with various
                      paints made for aluminum, I scrubbed them down again and shot them
                      with Krylon Fusion. That was a couple years ago and they still look
                      new. I am hoping to experiment with painting on the fiberglass parts
                      this summer - the old decal type stripes are really becoming ugly!
                      Anyway, I'll let y'all know how it works or if I go a different way
                      for tat part.

                      > Jerry

                      Dear Jerry,
                      Thanks for the tip on the Krylon fusion paint. I have an almost all
                      aluminum Revcon motorhome (1977) that was originally a creme or
                      beige color and was apparently painted white. The paint job was not
                      very good and while cleaning the extererior some of the white flaked
                      off leaving some of the original paint beneath. How do I strip the
                      paint on the aluminum, what kind of primer or basecoat should I use,
                      can I repaint with rattle cans or do I need to rent a spraybooth. I
                      shudder to think of the cost of a professional paint job- would
                      probably cost thousands$$$$-Jeff