Re: [classicrv] Where's the Starter on a Dodge 440?

  • DavidW
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2005
      It could be my starter is going bad..or getting hot.
      I had a odd problem with it last night after driving
      around.. wouldn't start so I ran the generator..
      I came back later and it fired up.

      The way it is acting.. I am suspecting the starter.
      David

      Frogmobile wrote:

      >You want to know the location of the starter? I don't have a Dodge RV, but
      >last time I had to pull a starter on my Challenger, I'm pretty sure it was
      >on the driver's side, tucked between the headers and the block.
      >
      >On the side of the transmission is a safety switch that completes a circuit
      >to the relay if the vehicle is in park or neutral. Sometimes these get
      >dirty or knocked loose, causing your starter not to do anything when you
      >turn the key.
      >
      >Jay
      >
      >At 09:48 PM 4/30/05, you wrote:
      > >I am having problems starting my Dodge 440..
      > >I am suspecting a loose battery cable on the
      > >starter.
      > >
      > >Could someone give me a clue as to where it's
      > >located?
      > >
      > >On a Dodge 1978 Titan.
      > >
      > >thanks,
      > >DaVID

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

    • Ron Mitchell
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2005
        On my 76 Dodge 440 chassis, the starter is on the driver's side of the
        engine, down behind the Exhaust header pipe. The end of the starter is
        only about 3" from the exhaust manifold connection to the header pipe. My
        starter has been replaced recently (not by me, I've only had it a year) and
        there's a heat shroud to protect the end and top from the manifold. I don't
        know if this is a stock item or added after. The shroud looks older than
        the starter. It's just a piece of heavy sheet metal, with a couple of tabs
        on it, secured to the starter motor with a big cable clamp. There's about a
        1" gap between the starter and the shroud.

        Also, check all of your cables, especially the ground cable from the
        engine to the battery/frame. I've seen many starting problems caused by a
        bad ground cable. You also might want to get the battery tested. If it
        started after running the generator (to charge the battery, I assume),
        maybe the battery is weak.

        Ron
        '76 Coachmen
        Frederick, MD

        At 10:41 AM 5/1/05, you wrote:
        >It could be my starter is going bad..or getting hot.
        >I had a odd problem with it last night after driving
        >around.. wouldn't start so I ran the generator..
        >I came back later and it fired up.
        >
        >The way it is acting.. I am suspecting the starter.
        >David
        >
        >Frogmobile wrote:
        >
        > >You want to know the location of the starter? I don't have a Dodge RV, but
        > >last time I had to pull a starter on my Challenger, I'm pretty sure it was
        > >on the driver's side, tucked between the headers and the block.
        > >
        > >On the side of the transmission is a safety switch that completes a circuit
        > >to the relay if the vehicle is in park or neutral. Sometimes these get
        > >dirty or knocked loose, causing your starter not to do anything when you
        > >turn the key.
        > >
        > >Jay
        > >
        > >At 09:48 PM 4/30/05, you wrote:
        > > >I am having problems starting my Dodge 440..
        > > >I am suspecting a loose battery cable on the
        > > >starter.
        > > >
        > > >Could someone give me a clue as to where it's
        > > >located?
        > > >
        > > >On a Dodge 1978 Titan.
        > > >
        > > >thanks,
        > > >DaVID

        > <<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        > *
        > <mailto:classicrv-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>classicrv-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > *

      • DavidW
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2005
          Thank you. It could be I need one more battery. I only have 2 and they
          are ganged together. The carburetor seems to need attention..it is a little
          hard starting..I have NO idea of what I am looking at when I look at the
          carb.

          David

        • davheckman
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2005
            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, DavidW <dweddle@p...> wrote:

            What is your problem? is it still turning like fuel not getting to the
            carb? or is it not turning at all?

            three common problems I found with My 440...

            One the starter unless protected from the heat will stop working due
            to heat soak for a brief time after running it.

            Two the carb will get hot from a long run and the gas will vaporize
            from the heat of the exhaust manifold requiring another hard start.

            Three fuel will run down into the engine and flood the engine due to
            a crack in the carburetor. Requiring you to start it like it has been
            flooded out. Currently getting ready to rebuild my carb for this one.

            The last one happed to me when I got 5 miles from home. This was last
            Oct when I brought mine home from Kentucky (600 miles from my home in
            Michigan) after I bought it. What a adventure that was. This is my
            first Dodge so I am still learning about this wonderful motorhome.

            Dave
            1977 34 ft titian M500 chassis

          • DavidW
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2005
              It's intermittent.. last night it wouldnt start ..like the battery run down
              I had driven it a little while..and cranked and cranked it.

              Today.. it's starting FAST.. on the first few turns.

              Once it starts..it is quiet and smooth.

              I am thinking of epoxying a tube down the air cover..
              so I can squirt fuel or starter fluid in it.

              The throttle linkage also acts weird.. there's a LOT of
              play up by the foot pedal.. back and forth.. up and
              down. I get discouraged sometimes.

              David

            • davheckman
              Message 6 of 8 , May 2, 2005
                Have you tried changing the ballast resistor it is a cheep fix to try
                less than 10.00. it is located near the back of the motor the square
                white ceramic item with a couple wires going out of it. I had this
                fail on me already I have a few spares in my rig just in case. They
                fail quite a lot from the heat.

                If it is a fuel problem you should get a electric low volume fuel pump
                for each tank and a toggle to turn it on for a few seconds before
                starting. Great for when you go to the mountains also. Dodge has this
                problem all the time with their motorhomes. I read Chevy and ford are
                the same from back then. Its not fun to have to crank and crank it
                over every time.

                Dave
                1977 34 ft titan dodge m500 chassis