RE: [classicrv] 1988 Ford E350 current leak

  • Joel B. Chappell
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 5, 2005
      Merle-

      Do you have a radio with a “memory” in it? I have an in-dash Kenwood and it
      is always drawing a few mils, to keep the station memory alive, when sitting
      idle. I have about the same situation, after about 4 weeks it’s questionable
      if she’s going to spin up or not. I have just one battery on the chassis,
      and two in parallel on the coach. If I am at home, and the rig is on shore
      power, there is a trickle charge on the coach batteries, and they are always
      up. I can just hit the panic button and jump them in parallel with the
      chassis. I installed a knife switch on the chassis battery for winter
      storage. It helps, but if I have not run the rig in 30 days, the fuel line
      is dry and I have to grind on the starter a long time to put up a little oil
      pressure and activate the electric pump back at the tank.

      Remember when hooking two 12V in parallel, they must be identical in type,
      capacity and age. Use the shortest, and equal length jumper[s] between the
      like terminals plus and minus. Connect the positive feed to one battery, and
      the negative return to the other… do not attach the positive feed, and the
      return, to the SAME battery.

      Joel in NH
      85 Pace Arrow 33 – P30

      Joel B. Chappell
      21 Billings Street
      Milford, NH 03055

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 5, 2005
        JBC> Do you have a radio with a “memory” in it?... after about 4 weeks it’s questionable
        JBC> if she’s going to spin up or not.

        perfect time for having a knife switch installed as you do.
        ( by big truck has a switch that cuts off everything *except* the
        radio presets, of my own choosing, ran the wire straight to the
        battery)

        JBC>but if I have not run the rig in 30 days, the fuel line
        JBC> is dry and I have to grind on the starter a long time to put up a little oil
        JBC> pressure and activate the electric pump back at the tank.

        little starting fluid should help it catch right away.
        but many folk go so far as to recommend disconnecting the coil
        on a vehicle that has been sitting a good long while and cranking , for the purpose of
        raising pressure without the engine actually running.

        not something I've really checked out though, the longest (usually)
        that my cars sit is about a month
      • Merle & Mary Campbell Jr.
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 5, 2005
          Thank you all for the input, I did the fuse thing, found the leak
          and then read Joel's post.

          Joel, It was the radio. It is a Panasonic aftermarket with the
          normal bells and buttons. I never thought of it drawing enough
          current to run the batteries down. Even after going through each item
          on the dash, each light etc I missed the radio.

          Our Dodge Van had a light left on in the visor that kept running that
          battery down. I only spotted that when I noticed Mary looking in the
          mirror before going to visit my daughter, the light was on and when I
          felt it it was hot.

          We have to disconnect the bateries on our two older Lincoln
          Continental sedans (1982 & 1985) as the electronics drain those
          batteries in even less time. We should sell them according to my
          wife, I on the other hand think they both look like classics
          especially the 1982, and cannot bear the thought of parting with
          them. Probably the best Fords we have ever owned and all of our Fords
          have been exceptional.

          Very good and valuable information comes from this group all of the
          time. We have Duane and Kathy to thank for starting this group and
          keeping it going.

          Thanks again,

          Merle

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Koldei <koldei-list@a...> wrote:

          > JBC> Do you have a radio with a "memory" in it?... after about 4
          weeks it's questionable
          > JBC> if she's going to spin up or not.
          >
          > perfect time for having a knife switch installed as you do.
          > ( by big truck has a switch that cuts off everything *except* the
          > radio presets, of my own choosing, ran the wire straight to the
          > battery)
        • Joel B. Chappell
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 6, 2005
            Took me a while to figure it out, Merle, when I fist ran into it :-)

            Joel in snowy NH

            Joel B. Chappell
            21 Billings Street
            Milford, NH 03055

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 7, 2005
              The new dodge trucks have a Fuse with a yellow "t" handle on them.. I
              can't remember the three letter designation for it but the dealers
              can un-plug the fuses when they are sitting to avoid battery drain...
              The strangest factory solution to this problem I have seen comes from
              Volkswagen... they come with a solar cell that has four suction cups
              on it ... you're sposed to put them on the windshield if you are
              gonna leave then idle for a while.... My buddy who works at an
              Audi/VW place says the VW claims the computer always requires power
              so they have the solar chargers.....

              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Merle & Mary Campbell Jr."
              <tarscampbell@y...> wrote:

              > On our 1988 Ford 7.3 diesel 27" Telstar there is a slight discharge
              > of the batteries with the key off. It is enough to draw the
              batteries
              > down below starting voltage. It seems to draw the, old/just
              replaced
              > 3year old 70 mo., batteries way down if left sitting about four
              weeks
              > without running.
              >
              > I would however like to trace down the electrical leak rather than
              > just fix the symptoms and still have the fault. Any advice?
              >
              > Merle
            • Ron Mitchell
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 8, 2005
                I bought a small (12"x6") 1.5 watt Solar panel from Harbor Freight for $10
                (On 1/2 price sale). I keep it plugged into the cigarette lighter socket,
                which is hot all of the time on my 76 Coachmen. It keeps enough of a
                trickle charge going to keep the batteries topped off. I had it parked for
                2 weeks at a friend's and it started right up (with the usual pumping of
                the pedal to get the juices flowing). The solar panel could also be wired
                directly to the batteries or just clipped on when needed for storage. It
                seems to work. Here at home, I have a heavy-duty extension cable run out to
                it to keep it on shore power and ready to go.

                Ron

                At 08:15 PM 3/7/05, you wrote:

                >The new dodge trucks have a Fuse with a yellow "t" handle on them.. I
                >can't remember the three letter designation for it but the dealers
                >can un-plug the fuses when they are sitting to avoid battery drain...
                >The strangest factory solution to this problem I have seen comes from
                >Volkswagen... they come with a solar cell that has four suction cups
                >on it ... you're sposed to put them on the windshield if you are
                >gonna leave then idle for a while.... My buddy who works at an
                >Audi/VW place says the VW claims the computer always requires power
                >so they have the solar chargers.....
                >
                >--- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Merle & Mary Campbell Jr."
                ><tarscampbell@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > On our 1988 Ford 7.3 diesel 27" Telstar there is a slight discharge
                > > of the batteries with the key off. It is enough to draw the
                >batteries
                > > down below starting voltage. It seems to draw the, old/just
                >replaced
                > > 3year old 70 mo., batteries way down if left sitting about four
                >weeks
                > > without running.
                > >
                > > I would however like to trace down the electrical leak rather than
                > > just fix the symptoms and still have the fault. Any advice?
                > >
                > > Merle
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12943duvp/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1110331321/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>
                >click here

                > *
                > <mailto:classicrv-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>classicrv-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                >
                > *

              • bob creely
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 9, 2005
                  gentlemen,
                  i find it hard to believe that a radio can run the batteries down.

                  it has been my understanding that if the current draw isn't
                  sufficient to light an incandescant bulb(in series to battery
                  terminal)it should be ignored.

                  the c.b. in my work truck has been left on and parked for days with
                  no apparent loss to battery current/voltage.

                  the am/fm radio in my georgie boy shows draw with a volt meter, but
                  doesn't pull the batteries down even when in storage in the barn.
                  (the draw won't light a lamp in series with the battery terminal)

                  am i incorrect in my thinking?? i'm not too old to learn, and i enjoy
                  learning new(to me)things.

                  bob creely

                  <tarscampbell@y...> wrote:

                  > Thank you all for the input, I did the fuse thing, found the leak
                  > and then read Joel's post.
                  >
                  > Joel, It was the radio. It is a Panasonic aftermarket with the
                  > normal bells and buttons. I never thought of it drawing enough
                  > current to run the batteries down. Even after going through each
                  item
                  > on the dash, each light etc I missed the radio.
                  >
                  > Our Dodge Van had a light left on in the visor that kept running
                  that
                  > battery down. I only spotted that when I noticed Mary looking in
                  the
                  > mirror before going to visit my daughter, the light was on and when
                  > felt it it was hot.
                  >
                  > We have to disconnect the bateries on our two older Lincoln
                  > Continental sedans (1982 & 1985) as the electronics drain those
                  > batteries in even less time. We should sell them according to my
                  > wife, I on the other hand think they both look like classics
                  > especially the 1982, and cannot bear the thought of parting with
                  > them. Probably the best Fords we have ever owned and all of our
                  Fords
                  > have been exceptional.
                  >
                  > Very good and valuable information comes from this group all of the
                  > time. We have Duane and Kathy to thank for starting this group and
                  > keeping it going.
                  >
                  > Thanks again,
                  >
                  > Merle
                  >
                  > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Koldei <koldei-list@a...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > JBC> Do you have a radio with a "memory" in it?... after about 4
                  > weeks it's questionable
                  > > JBC> if she's going to spin up or not.
                  > >
                  > > perfect time for having a knife switch installed as you do.
                  > > ( by big truck has a switch that cuts off everything *except* the
                  > > radio presets, of my own choosing, ran the wire straight to the
                  > > battery)
                • denisond3d3
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 9, 2005
                    --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "bob creely" <bcreely@y...> wrote:

                    > gentlemen,
                    > i find it hard to believe that a radio can run the batteries down.

                    The radio wouldnt run your battery down if it was working properly:
                    But... if a capacitor in a 12 volt input line has gone bad, it can
                    draw more current than it should; maybe up to 100 milliamps, instead
                    of 2 to 5 milliamps like a JVC or Eclipse would draw. The radio
                    would work normally, and unless you opened it up and felt the
                    components on the circuit board, you might never notice the warmth
                    from that current drain. It could discharge a battery in a week,
                    though not in just two or three nights. A small 12Volt bulb, like a
                    dashboard light or a side marker light, might draw 250 milliamps or
                    more.
                  • Joel B. Chappell
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 10, 2005
                      Bob-

                      As a retired electrical engineer that spent 42 years in the aerospace
                      industry, I can assure you there are certain radios that draw a good deal of
                      current, not voltage, to power the memory circuitry for the push buttons on
                      the radio. Most of these were produced in the late 70’s and early 80’s and
                      newer products on today’s market use C-MOS memory chips that operate on
                      microamperes instead of milli-Amperes. Most folks never notice this because
                      they run their car or truck daily and keep the battery near peak charge.
                      Those of us with RV’s that may leave them unattended for 30 days or more
                      will soon discover the problem if your equipment falls into the combo
                      described.

                      Joel in [still snowy] NH

                      Joel B. Chappell
                      21 Billings Street
                      Milford, NH 03055

                      <tarscampbell@y...> wrote:

                      > Thank you all for the input, I did the fuse thing, found the leak
                      > and then read Joel's post.
                      >
                      > Joel, It was the radio. It is a Panasonic aftermarket with the
                      > normal bells and buttons. I never thought of it drawing enough
                      > current to run the batteries down. Even after going through each
                      item
                      > on the dash, each light etc I missed the radio.
                      >
                      > Our Dodge Van had a light left on in the visor that kept running
                      that
                      > battery down. I only spotted that when I noticed Mary looking in
                      the
                      > mirror before going to visit my daughter, the light was on and when
                      > felt it it was hot.
                      >
                      > We have to disconnect the bateries on our two older Lincoln
                      > Continental sedans (1982 & 1985) as the electronics drain those
                      > batteries in even less time. We should sell them according to my
                      > wife, I on the other hand think they both look like classics
                      > especially the 1982, and cannot bear the thought of parting with
                      > them. Probably the best Fords we have ever owned and all of our
                      Fords
                      > have been exceptional.
                      >
                      > Very good and valuable information comes from this group all of the
                      > time. We have Duane and Kathy to thank for starting this group and
                      > keeping it going.
                      >
                      > Thanks again,
                      >
                      > Merle
                      >
                      > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Koldei <koldei-list@a...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > JBC> Do you have a radio with a "memory" in it?... after about 4
                      > weeks it's questionable
                      > > JBC> if she's going to spin up or not.
                      > >
                      > > perfect time for having a knife switch installed as you do.
                      > > ( by big truck has a switch that cuts off everything *except* the
                      > > radio presets, of my own choosing, ran the wire straight to the
                      > > battery)

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      click here
                      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129njorjq/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
                      oups/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1110473067/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.
                      netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

                      _____

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Ron Mitchell
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 10, 2005
                        Folks,
                        Harbor Freight Tools has the 1.5 watt Solar Battery Charger on sale
                        right now for $9.99 (1/2 price sale). If you find a few more items there to
                        make your total above $50, there's no shipping charge, either. I've been
                        using the solar panel in my Coachmen since last summer and I've never had
                        never had a dead battery. The item number is 44768-2VGA. It's under
                        Electrical/Electrical Chargers. http://www.harborfreight.com is the place.
                        Oh, for the record, I have no connection to them, other than they seem
                        to bleed my wallet a little every couple of months. Love those 1/2 price sales.

                        Ron
                        76 Coachmen

                      • misterbuzzer
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 11, 2005
                          Hey Joel; was it you that posted last year about the "betting" on what
                          date the last snow would finally melt off the parking lot?

                          If so, in view of the really unusual weather everywhere this year I
                          would love to hear what this year's best guess is for "gone date".

                          Cheers.

                          Hale in White Rock - in the rain.

                          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Joel B. Chappell"