Re: [classicrv] gas gauge didn't work

  • susiea1000@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2005
      While I'm at it I'll describe a problem I had with my gas tank not
      registering on the gauge...

      a handy friend actually took out the 'float' to inspect it...it is just a
      little thin metal cap that looks like it would snap onto a flask, dome shaped
      metal....there is a wire hook around an indentation about 1/3 down from the top
      is the end of the 'arm' that is a mechanical way of telling the height of the
      gas in the tank..

      that wire had worn a hole in the curved indented area so undoubtedly the
      'float' didn't float any more!!! this mechanic had never seen that before, we
      replaced that and filled up and the gauge works!!!

      During that time of it not working I ran out of gas and about 4 days later
      stopped the van as normal and it would NOT start..... It happened at RV's R US
      in Largo, within St. Petersburg...I had stopped to shop in their tiny store..

      THEY couldn't figure out what had happened so I had it towed home.

      My neighbor tested the main gas pump and it was shot...

      it must have been junk from the gas tank

      so be careful even if the gauge works not to get too low on the gauge, it
      could be a little off and you could suck up some junk from the bottom and ruin
      the pump......

      Susie in Tampa

    • denisond3d3
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2005
        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, susiea1000@a... wrote:
        > While I'm at it I'll describe a problem I had with my gas tank not
        > registering on the gauge...

        > My neighbor tested the main gas pump and it was shot...it must have
        been junk from the gas tank .....and you could suck up some junk from
        the bottom and ruin the pump......

        I would have to conclude the fuel pump was about ready to quit anyway,
        or it would have survived. I would also presume your tank has enough
        rust in it that you should be sure to have a fuel filter in the line,
        between-the-tank-and-the-fuel-pump, and even carry extra fuel filters
        on trips. And mount the filter where it can easily be reached from the
        outside. The fine rust particles from a typically rusted RV fuel tank
        can clog up a fuel filter in less than 100 miles of lumpy interstate -
        like parts of I-10 across Lousiana were. Or they might last thousands
        of miles too. I dont know how old your RV is, but I intend to
        replace my fuel pump each ten years. I carry spare fuel filters (note
        the plural) on long trips, the plastic kind I can see into, and check
        how much reddish rust silt is in it. We get between 50 mi. to 6000
        mi. to a fuel filter on my 72 Winnebago.
        P.S. I would never mount a plastic fuel filter between the fuel pump
        and the carburetor; thats the pressurized part of the fuel system.