Subject: electric choke

  • Bob Crockett
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      "Duane" <deschwar@...> Wrote:
      > I am about to install an Edelbrock carb with an electric choke. Has
      > anyone installed one of these and if so where did you wire the choke
      > wire to and how big a fuse did you use. It is going on a '76
      > Executive MH with a 440-3 engine and Dodge chassis.

      Duane: I've just been through a tiny bout with an Edelbrock and
      electric choke. The previous owner of my '64 Dodge Dart convertible had
      the electric choke wired through an original Mopar (Dodge) choke
      controller and the choke did not work. He also had the two controllers
      wired to the high voltage (top) of the ballast resistor. With the
      electric Edelbrock choke wired as the P.O. had it, I had ignition
      problems, sputtering and cutting out, etc. Someone on another list said
      the electric choke needs to go to somewhere that gets power when the
      ignition is on, but NOT to the ballast resistor. The resistor in the
      choke pulls enough current to reduce the positive voltage to the coil,
      which is also what the ballast resistor does.

      I moved my choke wire to the lead to the windshield washer, since that
      was all that was on that circuit. I didn't fuse mine, as the w/washer
      motor wasn't fused either, but I would think a ten amp fuse should be
      plenty and I'll probably add one in the near future (like if we get a
      few clear days here anytime soon!)

      Good luck, and post your results, please!

      BC