Wood rot

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 25, 2004
      Hi All,
      I have a question about some wood rot in a wall behind some cabinets.
      My question is what is the best way to get at this wall and fix the
      wood rot. Take out the cabinets and fix from the inside of the rv?
      It is about a 4x6 area there abouts. What is some of your experances
      with this type of problem?
      Thanks,
      Dan
    • denisond3d3
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 25, 2004
        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <madrider99@y...> wrote:

        > Hi All, I have a question about some wood rot in a wall behind
        some cabinets.
        > My question is what is the best way to get at this wall and fix the
        > wood rot. Take out the cabinets and fix from the inside of the rv?
        > It is about a 4x6 area there abouts. What is some of your experances
        > with this type of problem?
        > Thanks, Dan

        Much depends on the structure of your coach. If your RV has an
        aluminum skin, its probably going to be hard to do anything from the
        outside. On my 72 Winnebago the wall is a sandwich of the aluminum
        skin, an inch of foam, and a thin layer of plywood on the inside, the
        3 layers glued together. In this case the repair would be done from
        the inside, removing the interior items, pulling apart the rotted
        wood and putting in new wood, gluing it back as best you can. If
        your RV doesnt have wooden or metal studs in the walls, you have to
        remember that the inner wall panelling might be what holds the roof
        up when you are sitting still, including when you are on the roof or
        a foot of snow is up there. And when you are driving along, the
        roof has to be held DOWN by the wall, or it would try to float up and
        away, due to the effect of the air passing along the roof surface as
        you drive.
        And if the wood rotted, you have - or once had - a leak, so pay a
        lot of attention to putting sealant on the seams in the roof, and
        around all window and door openings - to keep out more water.
        You can view what one owner did to redo his wood rot problem, at
        the www.classicwinnebago.com site. Here is the URL for that picture
        album; http://groups.msn.com/ClassicWinnebagoMotorhomes/70winnie.msnw
        There are several pages of his pictures. This one shows the
        construction of one wall:
        http://groups.msn.com/ClassicWinnebagoMotorhomes/70winnie.msnw?
        action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3308
        The above URL would have to be used in its entirety.

        Good Luck!
      • Dan Bridgers
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 25, 2004
          Mine is a 1992 40 ft Teton 5th wheel. It has all wood
          construction from what I understand. It also has
          fiberglass siding. Thanks for the link. It will help
          alot. I still hope to get some more info on this.
          Thanks again,
          Dan

          --- denisond3d3 <denisond3@...> wrote:

          > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Dan"
          > <madrider99@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi All, I have a question about some wood rot in
          > a wall behind
          > some cabinets.
          > > My question is what is the best way to get at this
          > wall and fix the
          > > wood rot. Take out the cabinets and fix from the
          > inside of the rv?
          > > It is about a 4x6 area there abouts. What is some
          > of your experances
          > > with this type of problem?
          > > Thanks, Dan
          >
          > Much depends on the structure of your coach. If
          > your RV has an
          > aluminum skin, its probably going to be hard to do
          > anything from the
          > outside. On my 72 Winnebago the wall is a sandwich
          > of the aluminum
          > skin, an inch of foam, and a thin layer of plywood
          > on the inside, the
          > 3 layers glued together. In this case the repair
          > would be done from
          > the inside, removing the interior items, pulling
          > apart the rotted
          > wood and putting in new wood, gluing it back as best
          > you can. If
          > your RV doesnt have wooden or metal studs in the
          > walls, you have to
          > remember that the inner wall panelling might be what
          > holds the roof
          > up when you are sitting still, including when you
          > are on the roof or
          > a foot of snow is up there. And when you are
          > driving along, the
          > roof has to be held DOWN by the wall, or it would
          > try to float up and
          > away, due to the effect of the air passing along the
          > roof surface as
          > you drive.
          > And if the wood rotted, you have - or once had -
          > a leak, so pay a
          > lot of attention to putting sealant on the seams in
          > the roof, and
          > around all window and door openings - to keep out
          > more water.
          > You can view what one owner did to redo his wood
          > rot problem, at
          > the www.classicwinnebago.com site. Here is the URL
          > for that picture
          > album;

          http://groups.msn.com/ClassicWinnebagoMotorhomes/70winnie.msnw
          > There are several pages of his pictures. This one
          > shows the
          > construction of one wall:

          http://groups.msn.com/ClassicWinnebagoMotorhomes/70winnie.msnw?
          > action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3308
          > The above URL would have to be used in its entirety.
          >
          > Good Luck!

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 27, 2004
            Anyone have any further advise in this? I know some of you out there
            have done some major rebuilds.
            Thanks,
            Dan

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Dan Bridgers <madrider99@y...>
            wrote:
            > Mine is a 1992 40 ft Teton 5th wheel. It has all wood
            > construction from what I understand. It also has
            > fiberglass siding. Thanks for the link. It will help
            > alot. I still hope to get some more info on this.
            > Thanks again,
            > Dan
            >

            > --- denisond3d3 <denisond3@h...> wrote:
            >

            > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Dan"
            > > <madrider99@y...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi All, I have a question about some wood rot in
            > > a wall behind
            > > some cabinets.
            > > > My question is what is the best way to get at this
            > > wall and fix the
            > > > wood rot. Take out the cabinets and fix from the
            > > inside of the rv?
            > > > It is about a 4x6 area there abouts. What is some
            > > of your exper

            ances
            > > > with this type of problem?
            > > > Thanks, Dan
            > >
            > > Much depends on the structure of your coach. If
            > > your RV has an
            > > aluminum skin, its probably going to be hard to do
            > > anything from the
            > > outside. On my 72 Winnebago the wall is a sandwich
            > > of the aluminum
            > > skin, an inch of foam, and a thin layer of plywood
            > > on the inside, the
            > > 3 layers glued together. In this case the repair
            > > would be done from
            > > the inside, removing the interior items, pulling
            > > apart the rotted
            > > wood and putting in new wood, gluing it back as best
            > > you can. If
            > > your RV doesnt have wooden or metal studs in the
            > > walls, you have to
            > > remember that the inner wall panelling might be what
            > > holds the roof
            > > up when you are sitting still, including when you
            > > are on the roof or
            > > a foot of snow is up there. And when you are
            > > driving along, the
            > > roof has to be held DOWN by the wall, or it would
            > > try to float up and
            > > away, due to the effect of the air passing along the
            > > roof surface as
            > > you drive.
            > > And if the wood rotted, you have - or once had -
            > > a leak, so pay a
            > > lot of attention to putting sealant on the seams in
            > > the roof, and
            > > around all window and door openings - to keep out
            > > more water.
            > > You can view what one owner did to redo his wood
            > > rot problem, at
            > > the www.classicwinnebago.com site. Here is the URL
            > > for that picture
            > > album;
            > >
            > http://groups.msn.com/ClassicWinnebagoMotorhomes/70winnie.msnw
            > > There are several pages of his pictures. This one
            > > shows the
            > > construction of one wall:
            > >
            > http://groups.msn.com/ClassicWinnebagoMotorhomes/70winnie.msnw?
            > > action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3308
            > > The above URL would have to be used in its entirety.
            > >
            > > Good Luck!

            > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • jon lechich
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 27, 2004
              Dan if I were you I would go over to this site and see if thier is any information thier. It is a site for Classic Winnebago's and thier all kind of info thier. http://groups.msn.com/classicwinnebagomotorhomes

              wrote:
              > Mine is a 1992 40 ft Teton 5th wheel. It has all wood
              > construction from what I understand. It also has
              > fiberglass siding. Thanks for the link. It will help
              > alot. I still hope to get some more info on this.
              > Thanks again,
              > Dan
              >

              > --- denisond3d3 <denisond3@h...> wrote:
              >

              > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Dan"
              > > <madrider99@y...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi All, I have a question about some wood rot in
              > > a wall behind
              > > some cabinets.
              > > > My question is what is the best way to get at this
              > > wall and fix the
              > > > wood rot. Take out the cabinets and fix from the
              > > inside of the rv?
              > > > It is about a 4x6 area there abouts. What is some
              > > of your exper

              ances
              > > > with this type of problem?
              > > > Thanks, Dan
              > >
              > > Much depends on the structure of your coach. If
              > > your RV has an
              > > aluminum skin, its probably going to be hard to do
              > > anything from the
              > > outside. On my 72 Winnebago the wall is a sandwich
              > > of the aluminum
              > > skin, an inch of foam, and a thin layer of plywood
              > > on the inside, the
              > > 3 layers glued together. In this case the repair
              > > would be done from
              > > the inside, removing the interior items, pulling
              > > apart the rotted
              > > wood and putting in new wood, gluing it back as best
              > > you can. If
              > > your RV doesnt have wooden or metal studs in the
              > > walls, you have to
              > > remember that the inner wall panelling might be what
              > > holds the roof
              > > up when you are sitting still, including when you
              > > are on the roof or
              > > a foot of snow is up there. And when you are
              > > driving along, the
              > > roof has to be held DOWN by the wall, or it would
              > > try to float up and
              > > away, due to the effect of the air passing along the
              > > roof surface as
              > > you drive.
              > > And if the wood rotted, you have - or once had -
              > > a leak, so pay a
              > > lot of attention to putting sealant on the seams in
              > > the roof, and
              > > around all window and door openings - to keep out
              > > more water.
              > > You can view what one owner did to redo his wood
              > > rot problem, at
              > > the www.classicwinnebago.com site. Here is the URL
              > > for that picture
              > > album;
              > >
              > http://groups.msn.com/ClassicWinnebagoMotorhomes/70winnie.msnw
              > > There are several pages of his pictures. This one
              > > shows the
              > > construction of one wall:
              > >
              > http://groups.msn.com/ClassicWinnebagoMotorhomes/70winnie.msnw?
              > > action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3308
              > > The above URL would have to be used in its entirety.
              > >
              > > Good Luck!

              > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Jerry Noone
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 27, 2004
                My coach mounted Onan genset has a dash switch and a switch in the back of the coach to start and stop the generator from either location. When I got the rig, I could start it from the dash but not from the switch in the back. I could also stop it from the switch in the back but not from the dash - confused yet? Sorry. Anyway, I fired it up from the dash today but had to shut it off from the switch on the generator itself. So, now I can only start it from inside the rig and only from the dash switch.

                Anyone know how these remote switches work or have a diagram for them? I pulled the switches inside and all the wires look to be connected and in good, clean condition.

                Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

                Jerry

              • Jerry Sims
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 28, 2004
                  Jerry are you still looking for a wire diagram for the generator? I have the manual but my scanner is not hooked up so I can not scan it now but check this http://www.mytravco.com/CCKOperatorsManual.htm for a copy of how the switch works. The switchs should be in parallel. I would use an ohm meter to check the switches since the at least one contact on each switch work it sound like you may have problems with the switch.

                  Jerry Sims jjsims@...

                  Jerry Noone <rjerryc01@...> wrote:

                  My coach mounted Onan genset has a dash switch and a switch in the back of the coach to start and stop the generator from either location. When I got the rig, I could start it from the dash but not from the switch in the back. I could also stop it from the switch in the back but not from the dash - confused yet? Sorry. Anyway, I fired it up from the dash today but had to shut it off from the switch on the generator itself. So, now I can only start it from inside the rig and only from the dash switch.

                  Anyone know how these remote switches work or have a diagram for them? I pulled the switches inside and all the wires look to be connected and in good, clean condition.

                  Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

                  Jerry

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Jerry Noone
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 28, 2004
                    Jerry
                    Thanks for the link - not the same thing as mine (obviously) but the basic diagram of how the remote switches are wired is a great starting point for understanding the simplicity of the thing. I sometimes tend to over-complicate things and forget to look at the simple system. I definitely have a lot more wires to each switch than what is shown in the diagram at that site but some are likely for the indicator lights in the switches and have little to do with the starting/stopping of the generator.
                    Thanks again for the link!
                    Jerry

                    Jerry Noone wrote:

                    My coach mounted Onan genset has a dash switch and a switch in the back of the coach to start and stop the generator from either location. When I got the rig, I could start it from the dash but not from the switch in the back. I could also stop it from the switch in the back but not from the dash - confused yet? Sorry. Anyway, I fired it up from the dash today but had to shut it off from the switch on the generator itself. So, now I can only start it from inside the rig and only from the dash switch.

                    Anyone know how these remote switches work or have a diagram for them? I pulled the switches inside and all the wires look to be connected and in good, clean condition.

                    Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

                    Jerry

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • daju59
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 29, 2004
                      You will have to remove the wall from the inside and work your way to
                      good wood. You may find the area much larger than you anticipated.
                      Removing the wood may mean removing the exterior trim as necessary.
                      Anyway you will have to find the cause of leaks. Water can run a long
                      distance from the leak to whereit appears. Take your time and good
                      luck.
                      Dave

                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <madrider99@y...> wrote:

                      > Hi All,
                      > I have a question about some wood rot in a wall behind some
                      cabinets.
                      > My question is what is the best way to get at this wall and fix the
                      > wood rot. Take out the cabinets and fix from the inside of the rv?
                      > It is about a 4x6 area there abouts. What is some of your experances
                      > with this type of problem?
                      > Thanks,
                      > Dan
                    • Dan Bridgers
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 30, 2004
                        Thanks Dave!

                        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                      • susiea1000@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 31, 2004
                          In a message dated 12/31/2004 3:59:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                          classicrv@yahoogroups.com writes:
                          Re: Re: Wood rot

                          Thanks Dave!

                          --- daju59 <daju59@...> wrote:

                          > You will have to remove the wall from the inside and
                          > work your way to
                          > good wood. You may find the area much larger than
                          > you anticipated.
                          > Removing the wood may mean removing the exterior
                          > trim as necessary.
                          > Anyway you will have to find the cause of leaks.
                          > Water can run a long
                          > distance from the leak to whereit appears. Take your
                          > time and good
                          > luck.
                          > Dave

                          **********************

                          here is an alternative method for tearing out all affected wood, they call it
                          'chemotherapy for wood rot':

                          it is a boatbuilder's site and describes use of anti-freeze and borates for
                          killing the rotting elements and preserving the wood from further rot:

                          http://www.acbs-bslol.com/Gadgets/D97WoodRot.htm

                          I found it fascinating and have used the method here in moist Florida for all
                          kinds of woods with good results.

                          Happy New Year,

                          Susie in Tampa

                        • Dan Bridgers