WINDOW LEAKING

  • Teresa Holt
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2000
      When we got our 83 Minnie Winnie 24' - we didn't notice that there was
      a soft spot under the main dining area window where water had leaked in
      and dissolved the wallboard under the window- about a one foot square.
      When we came home and it was in its first big rain - the water poured in
      all over the seats - a regular waterfall! The windows are sliding
      -both pulling from the sides to the center. There is another window
      that is leaking that slides down from top to bottom. We have it under
      a carport for the winter - but will need to get this problem solved
      before using it again. How can we fix these windows? How is the best
      way to repain the wallboard?
      Thanks a lot!!
      Robert and Teresa Holt
      Sitka Alaska
    • Rose Waymire
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2000
        Teresa, Both my MH and TT have the crank out style windows so I am
        not sure if the sliding type are the same. On the TT I had to take
        out all of the windows and replace the fraiming around some of them
        because they leaked. When putting them back in I replaced the putty
        tape around them and then screwed them back in. In the case of
        sliders I think they have rubber molding around them and it may need
        to be replaced. JCWhitney sells replacement rubber of varying types.
        They are online but you will get better information by ordering their
        RV catalogue. Camping world may also be able to obtain the rubber.
        Call their 1-800-626-5944 number and ask for parts. As far as
        replacing the inside wall boards/paneling the only way is to cut it
        out and piece it back in or replace all of the wall. Not an easy job
        but has gratifying results once finished.

        Rose from Nebraska

        --- In classicrv@egroups.com, Teresa Holt <tftlh@u...> wrote:
        > When we got our 83 Minnie Winnie 24' - we didn't notice that there
        was
        > a soft spot under the main dining area window where water had
        leaked in
        > and dissolved the wallboard under the window- about a one foot
        square.
        > When we came home and it was in its first big rain - the water
        poured in
        > all over the seats - a regular waterfall! The windows are sliding
        > -both pulling from the sides to the center. There is another
        window
        > that is leaking that slides down from top to bottom. We have it
        under
        > a carport for the winter - but will need to get this problem solved
        > before using it again. How can we fix these windows? How is the
        best
        > way to repain the wallboard?
        > Thanks a lot!!
        > Robert and Teresa Holt
        > Sitka Alaska
      • Jim Clay
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2000
          Robert&Teresa,Had to go out before I read other post on leaks.I think the
          Winnebago had an outer skin of fiberglass in '83.I believe the inside wall
          were paneling.Find the edges of the panel that is rotten.If there is a small
          molding join ing the panels,remove it to get to the panel.May be fastened
          with small screws or rivets.You will need to determine how the panel is
          fastened and the n remove an replace entire panel.Trying to "patch" it will
          defeat your purpose.Be very careful to use a good sealant on all paneling
          edges including cutouts for windows or other fixtures.Winnebago didn't,which
          is why you have the problem(we had an '84 Chieftain) Jim C