Re: batteries ... and stuff on the run

  • Roland
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
      Checker auto parts has a 800 watt on sale right now for $49.95

      Roland

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "tmtractor@j..." <tmtractor@j...>
      wrote:

      > 300-400 watt inverter should do fine. The fridge doesn't draw a
      lot of power, especially after it has been cooled down. Good luck.
    • tmtractor@juno.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
        The best place for price on the fridge is Home Depot. I tried Sears and they just laughed at me for asking about a small apartment fridge for under $200. This idea just seemed to be a good one and after trying it, I can't see anybody paying over 1K for a new RV fridge. I also used an extra peice of panelling to go around the fridge and take up the space left by the old one. It looks fine and I only used a few small brass brads to attach it so in case I have to remove/service the fridge it's just a matter of popping a few of the brads loose and access is a snap. Good luck, have a great day!
      • Lou
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
          Hi Don -

          Sorry to hear of the bypass operation. I've had my share of that kind of
          stuff but back on topic, I replaced the fridge in my unit with a small
          "household" unit, not apartment size. It fit right in the hole and gave me
          twice the interior space of the old unit plus kept everything much colder.
          With regards to the inverter, so far there has been no need. I have spent
          the whole day driving in the Florida and Texas sun and still had ice for tea
          that evening with no power to the fridge while driving. This was when the
          generator was being stubborn as it is usually running when the temp gets
          over 85. Obviously, you are contemplating boon-docking with the 6 volt
          batteries etc. To get the correct size converter, check the power
          requirements for the fridge and allow about 30% for startup surge. Just
          because the weather is cool doesn't mean you can drop down to a lower
          capacity converter as it will still draw the same current whenever it starts
          up. All things considered, I wouldn't go back to an rv fridge, it just
          doesn't work as well and does not have the interior space.

          Best Regards,
          lou howard
          77 Apollo
          =============================

          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
            All things considered, I wouldn't go back to an rv fridge, it just
            > doesn't work as well and does not have the interior space.
            >
            > Best Regards,
            > lou howard
            > 77 Apollo

            Can't wait until my RV fridge goes out!! :o)

            Roger Phillips
            '82 Coachmen President
          • Glenn
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
              Just to add another $.02.

              Something I have seen is the DC powered heat/cool boxes. The local
              truck stop has a dc/ac powered reefer/heater box for just under
              $100.00. It draws .8 amp on 12 VDC. Its pretty small only a couple
              of cubic feet capacity, but for that draw and price, I've considered
              upping my coach battery storage and just running it on DC.Or running
              *two* of them.

              I'm actually trying to my my Trav'ler working on propane (electric
              works fine) but this idea is my backup if I can't!

              Cheers!

              Glenn in Tucson
              78 Tioga
            • Frogmobile
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
                As another data point, my daily driver uses an Optima "yellow top" deep
                cycle battery for starting (and everything else). I just looked up my
                shipping confirmation from when I ordered it; I installed it four years ago
                and still going strong.

                A previous owner had disabled the headlight warning buzzer, and on a few
                occasions I've headed to work around dawn, and arrived at work in daylight,
                and accidentally left the lights on. It has been completely discharged at
                least 5 times. The previous two batteries were conventional starting
                batteries and lasted about two years each.

                Jay

                At 01:30 PM 12/3/04, you wrote:

                >And for another word from actual experience, using a deep cycle
                >battery for starting purposes, does absolutely no harm to it what
                >soever, no matter what any website says.
                >
                >RJ
              • Joel B. Chappell
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 4, 2004
                  100 % correct Mark. Also that is probably one of the better links around. I
                  run 3 "Deep Cycle Start" batteries on my Class A; 2 on the coach and 1 on
                  the chassis. You can notice the difference between a regular automotive
                  battery and the DCS hybrids when it's time to crank up the old 454; the
                  starter turns faster/longer on the automotive battery and it is longer life.

                  Joel in NH

                  Joel B. Chappell
                  21 Billings Street
                  Milford, NH 03055

                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 6, 2004
                    --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" wrote:
                    > Mark out
                    >
                    > OK..almost out...does anybody know how to slide a genset out of the
                    side of
                    > the coach?

                    Mark,

                    Would you believe... "VERY CAREFULLY!"

                    Sorry - the devil made me do it!

                    Last time I took one out, I put a pair of Pick up truck Drive up ramps
                    side-by-side hooked on the botom of the generator compartment & slid
                    it out onto them and then down to the pavement - worked pretty well...

                    Dan
                  • Mark
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 6, 2004
                      Thanks, Dan...I appreciate the tip and the humor!

                      Mark in Modesto
                      78' REVCON 30'