Re: Re[2]: [classicrv] batteries ... and stuff on the run

  • don rutledge
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
      Thanks for the fast comeback, not only for MY benefit, but that of others. The "GOLD" plated concept has kept me using ice boxes for two years.This is a VERY good idea ! I will be shopping soon ! That 42' weather should also help to keep things cold in the fridge.Regards and thanks, Don in Chandler.

      "tmtractor@..." <tmtractor@...> wrote:
      I use an inverter in the 300-500 watt range, it seems to work fine and I havn't had any problems with not having enough power. Once the fridge is cooled it takes very little energy to keep it cool so you don't need a big inverter. It's also handy to keep the fridge going when going down the road. So far I have had it in about a month and no problems. PS, I am in Oregon and right now (early December) its cold out (40s day, mid/low 30s night) and the inside of my Avco gets a bit cold at night, I have found the stuff in the fridge stays cool and fresh at these temps even with the fridge off! I know your supposed to clean out the fridge during winter but the wife and I camp all year long so we don't usually empty the fridge unless we need to clean it.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Roland
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
        Checker auto parts has a 800 watt on sale right now for $49.95

        Roland

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "tmtractor@j..." <tmtractor@j...>
        wrote:

        > 300-400 watt inverter should do fine. The fridge doesn't draw a
        lot of power, especially after it has been cooled down. Good luck.
      • tmtractor@juno.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
          The best place for price on the fridge is Home Depot. I tried Sears and they just laughed at me for asking about a small apartment fridge for under $200. This idea just seemed to be a good one and after trying it, I can't see anybody paying over 1K for a new RV fridge. I also used an extra peice of panelling to go around the fridge and take up the space left by the old one. It looks fine and I only used a few small brass brads to attach it so in case I have to remove/service the fridge it's just a matter of popping a few of the brads loose and access is a snap. Good luck, have a great day!
        • Lou
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
            Hi Don -

            Sorry to hear of the bypass operation. I've had my share of that kind of
            stuff but back on topic, I replaced the fridge in my unit with a small
            "household" unit, not apartment size. It fit right in the hole and gave me
            twice the interior space of the old unit plus kept everything much colder.
            With regards to the inverter, so far there has been no need. I have spent
            the whole day driving in the Florida and Texas sun and still had ice for tea
            that evening with no power to the fridge while driving. This was when the
            generator was being stubborn as it is usually running when the temp gets
            over 85. Obviously, you are contemplating boon-docking with the 6 volt
            batteries etc. To get the correct size converter, check the power
            requirements for the fridge and allow about 30% for startup surge. Just
            because the weather is cool doesn't mean you can drop down to a lower
            capacity converter as it will still draw the same current whenever it starts
            up. All things considered, I wouldn't go back to an rv fridge, it just
            doesn't work as well and does not have the interior space.

            Best Regards,
            lou howard
            77 Apollo
            =============================

            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
              All things considered, I wouldn't go back to an rv fridge, it just
              > doesn't work as well and does not have the interior space.
              >
              > Best Regards,
              > lou howard
              > 77 Apollo

              Can't wait until my RV fridge goes out!! :o)

              Roger Phillips
              '82 Coachmen President
            • Glenn
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
                Just to add another $.02.

                Something I have seen is the DC powered heat/cool boxes. The local
                truck stop has a dc/ac powered reefer/heater box for just under
                $100.00. It draws .8 amp on 12 VDC. Its pretty small only a couple
                of cubic feet capacity, but for that draw and price, I've considered
                upping my coach battery storage and just running it on DC.Or running
                *two* of them.

                I'm actually trying to my my Trav'ler working on propane (electric
                works fine) but this idea is my backup if I can't!

                Cheers!

                Glenn in Tucson
                78 Tioga
              • Frogmobile
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
                  As another data point, my daily driver uses an Optima "yellow top" deep
                  cycle battery for starting (and everything else). I just looked up my
                  shipping confirmation from when I ordered it; I installed it four years ago
                  and still going strong.

                  A previous owner had disabled the headlight warning buzzer, and on a few
                  occasions I've headed to work around dawn, and arrived at work in daylight,
                  and accidentally left the lights on. It has been completely discharged at
                  least 5 times. The previous two batteries were conventional starting
                  batteries and lasted about two years each.

                  Jay

                  At 01:30 PM 12/3/04, you wrote:

                  >And for another word from actual experience, using a deep cycle
                  >battery for starting purposes, does absolutely no harm to it what
                  >soever, no matter what any website says.
                  >
                  >RJ
                • Joel B. Chappell
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 4, 2004
                    100 % correct Mark. Also that is probably one of the better links around. I
                    run 3 "Deep Cycle Start" batteries on my Class A; 2 on the coach and 1 on
                    the chassis. You can notice the difference between a regular automotive
                    battery and the DCS hybrids when it's time to crank up the old 454; the
                    starter turns faster/longer on the automotive battery and it is longer life.

                    Joel in NH

                    Joel B. Chappell
                    21 Billings Street
                    Milford, NH 03055

                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 6, 2004
                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" wrote:
                      > Mark out
                      >
                      > OK..almost out...does anybody know how to slide a genset out of the
                      side of
                      > the coach?

                      Mark,

                      Would you believe... "VERY CAREFULLY!"

                      Sorry - the devil made me do it!

                      Last time I took one out, I put a pair of Pick up truck Drive up ramps
                      side-by-side hooked on the botom of the generator compartment & slid
                      it out onto them and then down to the pavement - worked pretty well...

                      Dan
                    • Mark
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 6, 2004
                        Thanks, Dan...I appreciate the tip and the humor!

                        Mark in Modesto
                        78' REVCON 30'