Re: 1964 TRAVCO ???

  • bajajoaquin
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
      Not that anybody has stated otherwise, but I thought we should
      clarify something here: the 318 in a '64 Travco is not likely the
      same 318 as in later Mopars. It is the old big-block, and nothing
      swaps over between that engine and the later A-series small blocks.

      As for the 413, that is going to be a later RB-series big block. You
      might want to check the details of its series. The 440s put into
      Travcos originally were not the same as the ones in the passenger
      cars or trucks. They were the 440-3, which was their "industrial"
      powerplant (used, incidentally, out back on the FMC motorhome that
      Charles Kerault eventually used to replace some of the Travcos).

      I'm not sure about the different series of 413s, but you might find
      that, if it's a standard RB-block engine, parts will be easier to
      find on the road than for a 440-3.

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Sterling Voth" <recreation@i...>
      wrote:
      > The big lack of power in the 318 on the older Travco models is one
      of the
      > big complaints that Charles Kurault had with them when he was
      travelling in
      > them for CBS back in the 60's and early 70's. They went through a
      couple of
      > Travcos I think and the two big problems they had at the time were
      broken
      > springs and axles in the rear and low power on hills with the
      318. Travco
      > apparently improved the axle spring situation sometime in the
      later 60's and
      > engines were probably upped as well. Kurault's team apparently
      were sort
      > of a test bed for Travco as he definitely put far more miles on
      the CBS rig
      > than most RV users ever did. Therefore the long term problems
      showed up in
      > their Travco units that might not have shown up on most
      recreational users
      > that only put a few miles a year on them. Not to mention that
      Kurault took
      > his over all sorts of rough backroads to very remote areas. Oddly
      enough
      > they almost never slept in their Travco, but used it as a portable
      office
      > and studio while travelling from motel to motel.
      > CBS used a different brand through most of the 70's I think.
      318 is a
      > great engine, just don't expect to get anywhere in a hurry in the
      hills with
      > it. I still love those old Travco motorhomes and if I ever found
      the right
      > deal would get one myself. Fiberglass body is great and love the
      styling as
      > well. Their "teething" problems were similar to Winnebagos back
      then as the
      > entire motorhome industry was in it's infancy. Didn't take them
      long to
      > figure out how to solve them though.
      >
      > Sterling...........
      >
      > ----------
      > >From: "William Harris" <wlharrisjr1969@y...>
      > >To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [classicrv] Re: 1964 TRAVCO ???
      > >Date: Tue, Aug 31, 2004, 3:17 PM
      > >

      > > Mark,
      > >
      > > I have two classic rv's, one a 19' Class A starcraft and the
      > > other a 72 Travco 270. One note of caution on the 64 Travco
      (other
      > > than the glass is extremely expensive to replace)... The 318 is
      > > good motor, but more than a little undersized for the 27ft
      Travco.
      > > My 19' has trouble on some hills with its 318, and it is in good
      > > running order, so can only imagine what ir would be like with a
      much
      > > larger and heavier rig. Only other consideration I would give
      to it
      > > is that the early Travco's had low wheel well openings, making
      it a
      > > bit difficult to change tires. I am almost done restoring my
      270,
      > > and am already very happy with the layout and improvement in
      space I
      > > have over my small Starcraft. Starting to think that once the
      > > Travco is done the Starcraft just is not going to get the use it
      > > deserves! Hate to think about selling it as it has given us five
      > > good years, but it might come to that if the insurance company
      gives
      > > me too much grief.
      > >

      > > Bill and Lisa
      > > Clinton, MD.
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
        Hey Gang,

        Special thanks to Jonathan (bajajoaqin), Dave Badger, Bill Harris and Sterling Voth for all your input, humor, caveats, suggestions and little stories on the side concerning my question about the 1964 27' Travco.

        It seems to boil down to:

        Great old coach...an icon worthy of restoration, but easy to get monetarily upside-down in, regardless of it's historical and intrinsic value.

        Engine and suspension are weak, and adequate only for shorter trips on flat ground, unless one is rich... I don't fall into that category.

        Tires and wheels are expensive, and very likely needed if it's wearing stock parts now.

        Conclusion:

        I still want to see it, but I doubt seriously that I'll buy it. She's asking $3K or best offer, she seems really nice, the Travco's name is Bessie (I like that) and I think I'd be better off with the elusive perfect Revcon.

        Sure is tempting though...

        Again, thanks to all who responded and sincere apologies to anyone I may have missed on my 'thank you' list. And, at the risk of repeating an old line: this IS a great list.

        Mark in Modesto

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
          No MHs (RVs) are perfect -- new or used -- even the Revcons (which
          are oldsters now, too).

          Go here and see what $3000 will get you so you can compare to
          Bessie. Add up the pros and cons of some other 3-grand candidates
          you see there and compare them to Bessie. You might find she is the
          best choice.

          http://www.rvtraderonline.com/adsearch.html

          IMO, still worth further research,

          John D.

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
            Hi John,

            Thanks for that...I haven't completely ruled Bessie out, but I'll sure be looking her over with a much better educated eye, thanks to you and others on this list. I'm hoping to make that little trip tomorrow afternoon and will know a lot more once I've seen her 'up close and personal'.

            All the best,

            Mark in Modesto

          • johncdechon
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
              You're welcome...hope it helps.

              Just for my own info, I checked there for Class Cs and Class As
              available for under $3000 (put in $0-3000 in the price box) and it
              returned 44 Class Cs and 37 Class As.

              Good luck,

              John D.

              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mark@J...> wrote:
              > Hi John,
              >
              > Thanks for that...I haven't completely ruled Bessie out, but I'll
              sure be looking her over with a much better educated eye, thanks to
              you and others on this list. I'm hoping to make that little trip
              tomorrow afternoon and will know a lot more once I've seen her 'up
              close and personal'.

              > All the best,
              >
              > Mark in Modesto

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2004
                >Just for my own info, I checked there for Class Cs and Class As
                available for under $3000 (put in $0-3000 in the price box) and it
                returned 44 Class Cs and 37 Class As.

                And I just searched the site for Travco and came up with thirteen, priced at both ends of the stick!

                Mark

              • bajajoaquin
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 2, 2004
                  And if you do the search again, you'll see mine for sale now, too.
                  Oops, sorry about the plug.

                  Is "Bessie" in the RV trader?

                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mark@J...> wrote:
                  > >Just for my own info, I checked there for Class Cs and Class As
                  > available for under $3000 (put in $0-3000 in the price box) and it
                  > returned 44 Class Cs and 37 Class As.
                  >
                  > And I just searched the site for Travco and came up with thirteen,
                  priced at both ends of the stick!

                  > Mark

                • Mark
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 2, 2004
                    Hi again Jonathan (?),

                    No, Bessie is on the MyTravco.com site. I fired up rvtraderonline and got thirteen hits, but don't know which one is yours, or where you live. Fill me in and I'll check it out. With a little luck, we might be able to sneak off today to see Bessie in the fiberglass. We're very curious...

                    Thanks,

                    Mark in Modesto