Batteries

  • mnet56chief
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 31, 2004
      Just a tip for rural folks , don't use softened water to top off
      batteries, they will wind up with a real short life.
      Use the water direct from well or purchase distilled water.
      Safe Traveling
      DryLand Sailer
    • Rich
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2004
        Many moons ago out on the ranch, I can remember using softened water
        in all the batteries, because it seemed like it was better than well
        water, and don't remember that causing a problem.

        Well after that, in the early 60"s, while I was servicing cars at a
        GM dealership, the battery filler was filled from a faucet in the
        restroom where no customers could see it.

        Then for many years I would use distilled water whenever I could
        steal it from the wifes supply w/o getting caught, otherwise it came
        from city water.

        And now for many years I've used R/O water from our kitchen.

        And my conclusion is that any water is much better than no water,
        and Batteries usually last, and seldom out last their warranty
        period, (before they start going downhill in capacity) no matter
        what kind of water is used.

        RJ

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "mnet56chief" <mnet56@m...> wrote:
        > Just a tip for rural folks , don't use softened water to top off
        > batteries, they will wind up with a real short life.
        > Use the water direct from well or purchase distilled water.
        > Safe Traveling
        > DryLand Sailer
      • Jerry Noone
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2004
          We had a recent, enlightening discussion about battery charging and required voltages, etc. As to the "right" water to add, I'll read the posts as they come along and do a little research. In the meantime, if anyone got lost/confused about the charging voltages and such, I found a link that offers a nice explanation in real simple terms - drawings and such included. They are trying to sell a product but it is barely mentioned in the link and I have no knowledge of, or connection to the company or product. Here's the link:

          http://www.progressivedyn.com/service_battery_management_101.html

          Hope it helps a few understand some of that charging gibberish.

          Jerry

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2004
            Use the water direct from well or purchase distilled water.

            Even well water can be bad for batteries.

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Lou H
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 1, 2004
              You're right that well water can be bad for batteries. The whole water
              thing boils down to minerals in the water. Well water can be very good or
              very very bad depending on the minerals in it. Distilled water has no
              apprecialable minerals to combine with the battery acid so the battery lasts
              longer. Distilled water can be bought in a store but can also be gathered
              from the run-off from dehumidifiers and airconditioners, being careful to
              filter out dust, dirt, & etc. Rain is also a good source for distilled
              water. Water which has been run trough a water softener is not a good
              source as the softener introduces salts to capture the minerals and in turn
              is harmful to batterys.

              lou howard
              77 Apollo
              =============================

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 1, 2004
                Theoretically, no well water, or softened water is good for batts,
                because it picks up a lot of minerals just from running thru metal
                pipes, or thats what the batt techs say.
                But like my post stated, in 50 years of watering batteries (both
                personal and commercial) w/ every kind of water imaginable, it makes
                no noticable difference in the longivity of a battery which water is
                used.
                And when it comes to an occasional battery failing under warranty,
                even in the first 6 months, it is never tested to see if it has been
                abused or contaminated w/ bad water etc etc.
                We can bet that many many more batts are ruined by "no water" than
                by "wrong water"

                RJ

                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Lou H <lhoward121@s...> wrote:
                > You're right that well water can be bad for batteries. The whole
                water
                > thing boils down to minerals in the water. Well water can be very
                good or
                > very very bad depending on the minerals in it. Distilled water
                has no
                > apprecialable minerals to combine with the battery acid so the
                battery lasts
                > longer. Distilled water can be bought in a store but can also be
                gathered
                > from the run-off from dehumidifiers and airconditioners, being
                careful to
                > filter out dust, dirt, & etc. Rain is also a good source for
                distilled
                > water. Water which has been run trough a water softener is not a
                good
                > source as the softener introduces salts to capture the minerals
                and in turn
                > is harmful to batterys.
                >
                > lou howard
                > 77 Apollo
                > =============================

              • Roland
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 1, 2004
                  At $.60 per gallon...i will just buy a gallon.

                  Roland

                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Lou H <lhoward121@s...> wrote:
                  > You're right that well water can be bad for batteries. The whole
                  water
                  > thing boils down to minerals in the water. Well water can be very
                  good or
                  > very very bad depending on the minerals in it. Distilled water has
                  no
                  > apprecialable minerals to combine with the battery acid so the
                  battery lasts
                  > longer. Distilled water can be bought in a store but can also be
                  gathered
                  > from the run-off from dehumidifiers and airconditioners, being
                  careful to
                  > filter out dust, dirt, & etc. Rain is also a good source for
                  distilled
                  > water. Water which has been run trough a water softener is not a
                  good
                  > source as the softener introduces salts to capture the minerals and
                  in turn
                  > is harmful to batterys.
                  >
                  > lou howard
                  > 77 Apollo
                  > =============================

                • Joel B. Chappell
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 1, 2004
                    You can bet yer booties that if you have to add a lot of water, and it is
                    “hard” with a lot of limestone content, it will neutralize some of the acid
                    content in your electrolyte thus hampering your ability to hit the full
                    charge specific gravity. Also, if memory serves, “soft” water has low
                    mineral content… close to distilled water, whereas “hard” water has high
                    mineral content. Any “hard” water that is basic or alkali in content will
                    tend to neutralize the battery electrolyte.

                    Joel in NH

                    Theoretically, no well water, or softened water is good for batts,
                    because it picks up a lot of minerals just from running thru metal
                    pipes, or thats what the batt techs say.
                    But like my post stated, in 50 years of watering batteries (both
                    personal and commercial) w/ every kind of water imaginable, it makes
                    no noticable difference in the longivity of a battery which water is
                    used.
                    And when it comes to an occasional battery failing under warranty,
                    even in the first 6 months, it is never tested to see if it has been
                    abused or contaminated w/ bad water etc etc.
                    We can bet that many many more batts are ruined by "no water" than
                    by "wrong water"

                    RJ

                    --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Lou H <lhoward121@s...> wrote:
                    > You're right that well water can be bad for batteries. The whole
                    water
                    > thing boils down to minerals in the water. Well water can be very
                    good or
                    > very very bad depending on the minerals in it. Distilled water
                    has no
                    > apprecialable minerals to combine with the battery acid so the
                    battery lasts
                    > longer. Distilled water can be bought in a store but can also be
                    gathered
                    > from the run-off from dehumidifiers and airconditioners, being
                    careful to
                    > filter out dust, dirt, & etc. Rain is also a good source for
                    distilled
                    > water. Water which has been run trough a water softener is not a
                    good
                    > source as the softener introduces salts to capture the minerals
                    and in turn
                    > is harmful to batterys.
                    >
                    > lou howard
                    > 77 Apollo
                    > =============================

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    click here
                    <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129s63fc9/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
                    oups/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1091489058/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
                    anion.yahoo.com>

                    _____

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • misterbuzzer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 6, 2004
                      Hi Jerry - Excellent link! Thank you.

                      Hale

                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Noone <rjerryc01@y...> wrote:

                      > We had a recent, enlightening discussion about battery charging and
                      required voltages, etc. As to the "right" water to add, I'll read the
                      posts as they come along and do a little research. In the meantime, if
                      anyone got lost/confused about the charging voltages and such, I found
                      a link that offers a nice explanation in real simple terms - drawings
                      and such included. They are trying to sell a product but it is barely
                      mentioned in the link and I have no knowledge of, or connection to the
                      company or product. Here's the link:

                      > http://www.progressivedyn.com/service_battery_management_101.html
                      >
                      > Hope it helps a few understand some of that charging gibberish.
                      >
                      > Jerry

                    • Bob Woods
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 24, 2006
                        I few days ago we had some posts about what brand of batteries to buy,
                        some posted that there is only three makers of batteries, I found this
                        on a motorcycle site.

                        Johnson Controls makes: Interstate, Optima, ProStart, TrueStart,
                        Duralast, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Honda Eveready, Energizer, Power
                        Connection, DieHard, Equalizer, Kirkland Signature, EverStart,
                        Motorcraft batteries and dozens of others.

                        Exide makes: Champion, Brylite, Deta, Dunlop, Dynex, Endurance, Centra,
                        Fulmen, GNB, Marshall, Napa, Pacific Chloride, Marathon, Sonnenschein,
                        Orbital, Stowaway, Tudor, Sprinter,Yuasa and dozens of others.

                        Delphi makes: ACDelco, Amoco, Atlas, BlueStar, Delkor, Double Eagle,
                        Dura-Power, Ford, Freedom, IntelleGuard, Sams Club, Shell, Western
                        Auto, Advance Auto, International, Dynavolt and dozens of others.
                      • ihabwynoi
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 24, 2006
                          My husband picked up a new house battery last week. It is an Interstate Marine Cranking battery with 1000 cranking whatevers. I think it may be overkill for what we need. I have not installed it yet and wanted to ask for advice first.
                          I certainly do not need all that cranking stuff do I? This is for the house power, lights, a Cpap machine, fans and electric heater. The only thing that really runs for some time it the Cpap machine at night.

                        • dxxx cxxxxx
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 24, 2006
                            Hi, the added cranking capacity also means more
                            reserve capacity. i always get the biggest capacity
                            battery that i can fit. the difference in cost is
                            usually minimal, and the performance and longevity are
                            usually worth it.
                            battery mfrs. used to advertise "cold cranking amps"
                            now most advertise "cranking amps" the major
                            difference is the temp the test is done in, 0 degrees
                            for the CCA vs: 32 degrees for the CA
                            marine cranking amps is also at 32 degrees.

                            for more info go here:

                            http://www.exide.com/faq/faq_marine.html#amps

                            Doug

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 24, 2006