Re: Saturn using oil

  • mike
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Duane" <deschwar@h...> wrote:
      > Are any of you using Saturn's as toads having any problem with it
      > using excessive oil? If so did you have any corrective measure? I
      > bought a '96 SL2 in January and the oil was dirty(seller said he had
      > just changed it) so I changed it again - and again - and again until
      > it stayed reletavely clean for about a 1,000 miles. At first it used
      > a quart in 1,300 miles - now it uses a quart in 600. I replaced the
      > pcv valve, and starting putting in Penzoil 10/30 "High Mileage
      > Vehicle" oil. For cars over 75,000 - mine has 130,000. It appears
      > that I have cleaned the rings so well that I have made it use more
      > oil. Any recommendations(other that engine re-build)?
      >
      > Dad

      GM top engine cleaner treatment. Or marvel mystery oil.

      Saturns do consume oil though. I haven't had one that didn't consume
      oil. Others do too. Check out saturnfans forums for more details,
      but 1 qt in 600 is a tad too much. 1/1500 is about right for a saturn.
    • johncdechon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2004
        My god...I can't believe what's accepted as "normal" oil use, either
        in cars or the old Big Block MH engines...

        My old Nissan uses NO oil (and I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic which is
        on the thin side) for THOUSANDS of miles.

        John D.