Dash AC Fixed

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2004
      My (454 p-30 Itasca) dash ac quit putting out cold air at the end of
      last summer. Strange thing was that it would put out very cold air
      but only for about 5 minutes after starting the cold engine, then
      turn warm, and should have been a dead giveaway as to what the
      problem mite be.

      W/ bubbles in the sight glass, I added a can of Dura-cool, which
      didn't change anything. Then I bought some inexpensive guages only
      to find out that everything seemed to be quite normal. I checked
      everything else (or so I thought)and thinking that there has never
      been an ac that I couldn't make work one way or another, I still
      just gave up on it for the winter.

      But a couple months ago, the problem came back to mind, w/ an
      upcoming trip in mind also, so I had to get serious about fixing the
      ac. When all else failed, (against my pride and better judgement) I
      called a friend, who is a genuine ac tech (and hates working on old
      motorhomes) and explained the problem in detail, and w/o hesitation,
      his first words were "Turn the dam heater off!"

      Needless to say, I kicked myself all the way uptown to the auto
      parts to buy a new replacement for the defective vacumn operated
      heater valve that was not shutting off.

      (I usually don't tell stuff like this, but hope it mite help someone
      else one day) :) :)

      RJ