Re: 70's Landau with a Spicer Aux Tranny??

  • argosymH
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
      Are you sure it is not an overdrive/underdrive? Standard trans needs a clutch to disengage
      so you can change gears, it would be he** trying to shift with an automatic ahead of it.
      Overderive will probably be electric or vacuum operated, trans will have a linkage

      John
    • jeff hammers
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
        Don't know about the Landau but the Travco has a transmission (with linkage). The owner says that he thinks it was intended to be shifted only when sitting still (off roading at Baha?) but that he can let off the gas and "sneak" it into another gear....done that with cars without a working clutch myself.

        argosymH <Reconstructor24@...> wrote:Are you sure it is not an overdrive/underdrive? Standard trans needs a clutch to disengage
        so you can change gears, it would be he** trying to shift with an automatic ahead of it.
        Overderive will probably be electric or vacuum operated, trans will have a linkage

        John

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Sterling Voth
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
          This sounds like it might possibly be a "Brownie Box" transmission to me. A
          Brownie box is an old time heavy duty truck auxilary transmission. It
          mounted behind the regular transmission and had 3 or 4 auxillary speeds.
          Regular trucks like dump trucks, 18 wheelers, etc. would then have two stick
          shift levers. One for each transmission. Was a crazy combination of
          shifting one and then the other in odd combinations to give a large number
          of gears. These were replaced in later years by the multiple speed
          transmissions and 2 speed rear ends that we see today in 18 wheelers. I
          have never driven one but seen a couple in some old dump trucks down in
          Louisiana. From what I have heard it was only the very best drivers that
          could ever drive one as imagine double clutching a very large truck and
          having to shift "two" transmissions on the fly all in sync and at a certain
          engine rpm, etc. All before you have to re-engage the clutch. Took some
          real skill and practice to do that, but once they mastered it had many
          speeds instead of 4 or 5 of a regular truck. If what you have is a "brownie
          box" then it was not originally designed to be used with an automatic, but
          as mentioned, could be shifted sitting still, or on the fly with some
          careful timing of the shifts. Might even try quickly putting the auto in
          neutral while driving and shifting the aux trans and then qukcly shifting
          the auto back into drive. Reason that this thing probably bolts up to your
          automatic transmission is because 4 wheel drive transfer cases fit either
          auto or manual transmissions because of the 4 wheel drive rear trailhousing
          that you can install on a regular 2 wheel drive automatic transmission.
          Previous owner could have installed the 4 wheel drive rear section and
          output shaft for the auto, or simply installed an entire auto trans from a 4
          wheel drive vehicle and then the aux trans would bolt right up to that You
          can read some more info on these at the following old GMC and Chevy truck
          site:
          http://www.6066gmctrucks.org/spicer-5831-b.htm

          Sterling..........