fridge door

  • hdorst
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2004
      I have an Dometic RM 2804 fridge, was wandering what to do to get the door to shut tight it closes ok but it will still travel 3 eigth of an inch after it is closed in other words its loose should close tighter
      Hankster

    • Ned Bedinger
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2004
        Could it be the door seal (hollow rubber gasket kind of thing that gets compressed between the door and the fridge when you close the door)? The one I know is molded in smooth rubber, square in cross section, with small creases where it collapses down when the door is closed. It seems to create a little bit of a vacuum that makes the door "stick" closed. It gets yanked a little when you open the door, and can eventually work loose from its channel in the door. Check around the bottom of the door, that is where it can get loose and you won't notice it until it gets out of shape enough to keep the door from closing right.

        I have an Dometic RM 2804 fridge, was wandering what to do to get the door to shut tight it closes ok but it will still travel 3 eigth of an inch after it is closed in other words its loose should close tighter
        Hankster

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • hdorst
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2004
          Ned I did look at the rubber I dont think it is that but the top of the door is tighter than the bottom the bottom is ouy further than the top
          Hankster its a 1990 frdge

          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2004
            It sounds like you have the same basic problem that I had with my old
            Dometic RM 100 double compartment fridge. Both the top and bottom doors has
            swollen up the interior plastic part of the doors where you have the moulded
            in shelves and would hit the actual refrigerator interior at the top and the
            bottom. I could see the scuff marks there it was hitting and would not
            close all the way. I took the drastic step is using a side grinder and
            grinding off all the bottom and top plastic on the interior of the doors
            down to the insulation and then put a thin coat of fiberglass reinforced
            body filler and sanded and painted that with a similar yellow color to the
            rest of the door inside Have to grind it down well past where it works to
            leave room for the layer of fiberglass body filler and also the coats of
            spray paint. Used some sort of Krylon plastic paint that had that similar
            sick yellow color. From what I can tell Dometic used some sort of crappy
            plastic, or insulation (as I am not sure what did the swelling) for some
            years and they can do this. Both my doors close fine now. I probably
            didn't do the most professional job, but since the fridge stays l closed
            most of the time anyway what the heck! I had looked all over for good
            Dometic doors and nobody had one that was useable as all had the same
            problem. Hope the newer units aren't prone to that as they get older, but
            if I ever buy a new one am going with Norcold just in case. !!! :-)

            Sterling............