12 MPG and "stuff"

  • Bob Crockett
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30 11:53 PM
      Bob D. wrote:

      > i'm not going anywhere i can not take
      > a little more time to get to. if i were
      > in a hurry i would drive a car not a rig.

      At the end of a bunch of good and safe gas saving advice. His 24
      footer with a 360 works very well. My 24 footer with a 440 has
      given me a best so far of 9 MPG, but I have new tires and
      pressure specs, and hope to do a bit better now. The advice to
      slow down and enjoy the ride is quite good. However, I get a
      little impatient sometimes.... :) Pushing a heavyweight vehicle
      with the aerodynamic qualities of a cinder block is gonna cost ya
      more the faster ya wanna go. And the genius designers at Grumman
      put a weird little overhang on the front above the windshield,
      just in case a little air wanted to slide over the top without
      causing any extra drag...

      His scheme for avoiding having to get the rig moving from a stop
      by simply not stopping often is great. It backfired on me once
      while driving a company owned '76 GMC motorhome. The short
      version is: I had a terrible sinking feeling in the pit of my
      stomach as that Louisiana State Police cruiser caromed of the
      GMC's big V - shaped front bumper and spun around three times
      before coming to rest about thirty yards down the street.

      I felt _much_ better when the trooper said "don't worry, the
      state of Louisiana is self insured!" The company's comptroller
      was _not_ happy to hear those words! The happy ending: no
      charges were filed, the trooper had four at-fault accidents in
      the past year. We had to fix our own motorhome, but the state
      fixed the cop car. No blood, no foul!!!

      Oh but it's springtime in Texas, and almost time for the
      Kerrville Folk Festival. My Grumman and I will be dry camping in
      the meadow. Y'all come!!!
    • jipjob
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2004
        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Bob Crockett <bcrocket@t...> wrote:
        > Bob D. wrote:
        >
        > > i'm not going anywhere i can not take
        > > a little more time to get to. if i were
        > > in a hurry i would drive a car not a rig.
        >
        > At the end of a bunch of good and safe gas saving advice. His 24
        > footer with a 360 works very well. My 24 footer with a 440 has
        > given me a best so far of 9 MPG, but I have new tires and
        > pressure specs, and hope to do a bit better now. The advice to
        > slow down and enjoy the ride is quite good. However, I get a
        > little impatient sometimes.... :) Pushing a heavyweight vehicle
        > with the aerodynamic qualities of a cinder block is gonna cost ya
        > more the faster ya wanna go. And the genius designers at Grumman
        > put a weird little overhang on the front above the windshield,
        > just in case a little air wanted to slide over the top without
        > causing any extra drag...
        >
        > His scheme for avoiding having to get the rig moving from a stop
        > by simply not stopping often is great. It backfired on me once
        > while driving a company owned '76 GMC motorhome. The short
        > version is: I had a terrible sinking feeling in the pit of my
        > stomach as that Louisiana State Police cruiser caromed of the
        > GMC's big V - shaped front bumper and spun around three times
        > before coming to rest about thirty yards down the street.
        >
        > I felt _much_ better when the trooper said "don't worry, the
        > state of Louisiana is self insured!" The company's comptroller
        > was _not_ happy to hear those words! The happy ending: no
        > charges were filed, the trooper had four at-fault accidents in
        > the past year. We had to fix our own motorhome, but the state
        > fixed the cop car. No blood, no foul!!!
        >
        > Oh but it's springtime in Texas, and almost time for the
        > Kerrville Folk Festival. My Grumman and I will be dry camping in
        > the meadow. Y'all come!!!

        12 MPG boy what kind of rig do you have, does it have a sail?