Toilet flange replacement

  • Bob Rothmann
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
      I have a 1989 Champion Ultastar that I need to replace the toilet flange on,
      it looks like the flange is cemented to the down pipe. I was wondering if
      the pipe into the black tank unscrew or is it part of the tank and I need to
      cut the pipe and cement an extention and new flange on.
      Thanks
      Bob

    • Lou H
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
        Hi Bob -

        Most likely the flange screws onto the vertical pipe, at least that is how
        most are. Sometimes it takes a bit of force to start them to unscrew.

        Have Fun
        lou howard
        77 Apollo
        ============================
        > I have a 1989 Champion Ultastar that I need to replace the toilet flange
        on,
        > it looks like the flange is cemented to the down pipe. I was wondering if
        > the pipe into the black tank unscrew or is it part of the tank and I need
        > cut the pipe and cement an extention and new flange on.
        > Thanks
        > Bob
      • sandpaper600
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2004
          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Rothmann" <rothmannbob@h...>
          wrote:
          > I have a 1989 Champion Ultastar that I need to replace the toilet
          flange on,
          > it looks like the flange is cemented to the down pipe. I was
          wondering if
          > the pipe into the black tank unscrew or is it part of the tank and
          I need to
          > cut the pipe and cement an extention and new flange on.
          > Thanks
          > Bob

          > Get a FREE online virus check for your PC here, from McAfee.

          Hi Bob...
          I just did this job on my '73 Barth. The flange was cemented onto a
          threaded female adapter, which was threaded onto the downpipe. The
          downpipe on mine was about 14" long and was threaded into the tank.
          I used a pipe wrench vertically on the flange lip and was able to
          unscrew it from the tank. Now the bad part...the flange and downpipe
          is made of ABS plastic. I found a replacement flange from an RV
          parts house, but was unable to locate the threaded female adapter. I
          was told that not many people deal in ABS in Ohio. So, I replaced
          the entire thing with PVC. I bought the flange, threaded adapters
          for both ends, and the piece of pipe from Home Depot for less than
          $20. I cut the pipe with a hacksaw, glued the pieces together and
          voilet! Be advised...ABS will not glue to PVC. It was really
          relatively painless once I had the right pieces and knew what I was
          doing. Oh, one more thing...the screws holding the flange to the
          floor were hopelessly rusted. I bent the flange up till I could get
          under it & used a sawz-all to cut them off. Hope this helps...Good
          luck, Amigo...
          Mark