Split Rims: to change or not to change

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2004
      I need new rubber!

      gonna go 235/85/R16 "E" radials
      i have split rims...
      o.k. so i'll get some metal valve stemmed tubes and be all set.

      I'm having a hard time finding a place in chicago that'll still work
      on split rims.
      ( a few agreed to look at the rig; and i haven't tried truck stops
      yet)

      once the tires are inflated are there any pro's/con's?

      7 new wheels will double my out of pocket costs
      (and i don't want to be eating peanut butter for a year ;)

      should i keep looking for a shop with a cage
      or bite the bullet?
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 29, 2004
        last post seemed to have a problem..

        anyway i was jsut inquiring if anyone know what types of wheels i
        should be looking for to install on a circa 1972 dodge M300 chassis
        (duallies in rear)

        thanks,
        Robert
      • denisond3d3
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 29, 2004
          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <koldei@a...> wrote:

          > anyway i was jsut inquiring if anyone know what types of wheels i
          > should be looking for to install on a circa 1972 dodge M300 chassis
          > (duallies in rear)
          > > thanks,
          > Robert

          If yours has the 17 inch split rim wheels with 5 bolt hubs, there is
          an aluminum one piece wheel that takes 19.5 inch tubeless tires you
          can buy as a replacement. Nice and shiny. They were made by Alcoa,
          and I think by other makers too, but like lots of parts for the 72
          dodge M300 they wont be stocked on a shelf at your local tire store -
          you'll have to get them ordered in. If yours has the 8 bolt split
          rims with 16 inch tires, there are also newer 8 bolt one piece wheels,
          but I think they are 17.5 inch - for the drop center part of the rim
          to fit over the drums on those Dana axles.
          And if you are getting rid of a set of the 17 inch split rims, and are
          east of the mississippi river, I might be interested in latching onto
          them. I have two winnebagos with the 17 inch split rims, and I like
          them - because they are original and I can change the tires myself.
          denison
        • denisond3d3
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 29, 2004
            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <koldei@a...> wrote:

            >I have split rims on my 72 Winnebago, and like them because they are
            original and I can change them myself; but they arent for everybody.
            In some states they arent legal for commercial vehicles, and some tire
            places dont want the insurance liability of working on them. And
            there is sometimes safety certification issues for the shop owner.
            What is Very important is only using wheels that are in good
            condiiton: not rusty, or bent, or have cracks starting - no matter
            how minor. When I do my remounting I inspect the wheels with a
            magnifying glass, after I get them clean enough to eat off of. I mark
            the pieces and put them back together in the same position they were.
            I also coat the mating surfaces with an antirust before assembly,
            and I make sure the gap between the ends of the detachable rim are no
            larger then when I took it apart. I also carry two spare tires on
            long trips, cause the 17 inch size are not easy to find. denison
          • Robert
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2004
              I currently have the 8 lug 16" wheels
              with (32?)X 7.5 X 16 tires

              A) i don't s'pose anybody has the specs for these wheels
              (dodge m300 chassis) offset etc.

              B) if i end up upgrading to bud wheels, should i go w/ a larger
              diameter wheel?

              IE all these tires are about the same diameter
              *235/85/16* likely choice
              225/85/17
              205/85/18
              210/80/19
              190/80/20
              200/70/21
              of course at that point it starts getting silly
            • denisond3d3
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 31, 2004
                -If you upgrade you might have to use use a larger diameter wheel,
                because the brake drums have to clear the minimum diameter of the new
                wheel, which in the case of a one piece wheel, means a dropped-center.
                The only ones I have heard of were 17.5 inches, which I think is the
                tubeless tire size for light trucks. But if you stick with the 16
                inch split rim wheels, there are probably hundreds of them still
                available in truck salvage yards, so they should be cheap.
                And in choosing the wheels and the width of the tires on them,
                remember the sidewalls of your duallies must never be so close
                together as to overheat. The facing sidewalls of my dually tires
                -7.50x17- are 1.75 inches apart. denison