Re: Advise on removing a 413 engine

  • denisond3d3
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "topfuel462000"
      <varroneracing@a...> wrote:
      > Has anyone removed a 413 engine from a '72 Indian Winnebago? I
      would
      > be greatful to learn what kind of difficulties you ran into with
      > remvoal or any little tricks that would make the removal much
      easier.

      > Thank you for any suggestions.

      I haven't removed mine, but I know others with an Indian have, by
      taking it out the front with a cantilever hoist. I think they just
      removed the radiator, p.s. pump, the two braces running across the
      radiator, and the front bumper. They may have removed the oil pan to
      help clear the front frame crossmember. I assume you would have to
      support the tranny. I think the engine itself weighs about 700 lbs,
      the tranny another 250. I have two 1972 winnys with the same
      chassis, same 413 in them, and I know I will eventually have to pull
      an engine. Both mine are Indians. In my case the hard part will be
      convincing my wife that we Need a cantilever hoist. If you can get
      the manifolds off it will have more clearance on the sides. You
      might want to remove that big water pump housing to get more vertical
      clearance. I would enjoy hearing how it goes for you. If you could
      take pictures it would be a nice addition to the community of
      knowledge. Do you have the Dodge Motor Home Chassis Service Manual
      and the Chassis Parts Catalog? I am in N. Virginia, Alexandria.
      I also need to rebuild both 727 trannies - they work fine but they
      drip from the senile old seals! Dave Denison
    • Quinn D Eskimeaux
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
        > Message: 1
        > Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:49:26 -0000
        > From: "denisond3d3" <denisond3@...>
        > Subject: Re: Advise on removing a 413 engine
        >
        > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "topfuel462000"
        > <varroneracing@a...> wrote:
        > > Has anyone removed a 413 engine from a '72 Indian Winnebago? I
        > would
        > > be greatful to learn what kind of difficulties you ran into with
        > > remvoal or any little tricks that would make the removal much
        > easier.
        > >
        > > Thank you for any suggestions.

        I dont have a Winnie but I pulled the 413 from my 1972 Superior 2200 which
        rides on the same Dodge M300 chassis.I pulled the engine & trans together
        using a leveling plate which bolted to the manifold in place of the carb.
        Still pretty tight coming out the front .