me and the vibrating motorhome

  • Maureen
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 27, 2003
      Hi everybody,

      Three weeks and $2400 later, and my 83 Holiday Rambler is
      still shakin'. The truck repair place told me that my rear axle was
      full of water and the differential gear was all pitted and rusted so
      they changed all that, plus had to replace the outer wheel
      bearings. They speculated that the MH may have been in a flood
      or parked in deep water. They finally finished it (apparently old
      motorhomes are a very low priority) and then told me, by the way,
      that the transmission housing was cracked and that would be
      another $3500. Since this place probably wouldn't get to fixing
      the transmission till Easter, I paid up and took it home. No
      change in the vibration.

      There is an AAMCO transmission place near me, so that's where
      I brought it today. I'll find out the bad news on Monday.

      Could the transmission be the root cause of all these problems?
      Except for the flood damage, I mean? Could a transmission
      problem cause a bent driveshaft?

      When I got my NJ license plates for this thing, I picked the
      "Organ Donors Save Lives" plate, because my nephew died
      waiting for a heart-lung transplant. My sister said it was perfect
      for this MH, since it seems like it could use a few new organs
      itself.

      In debt,
      Maureen
    • dbblecab@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 28, 2003
        3500 Sounds really high for a transmission replacement. My Son and I pulled
        ours from our 83 JR 27T and had it rebuilt for less than 500.00
        The previous owner of ours had installed new U-Joint and Carrier bearings.

      • Frogmobile
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 28, 2003
          I think the original poster mentioned that the case was cracked, which
          would require a new core which would probably drive the cost somewhat north
          of the $500 you mentioned, but yes, $3500 still sounds steep for a rebuilt
          transmission likely to be found in one of our classic RVs.

          And in response to the original message, yes, a cracked transmission can
          (and probably will) cause vibrations.

          Jay

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 29, 2003
            AAMCO gave me a list of about twenty parts that need to be
            replaced in the transmission over and above the bands and
            things they normally replace. Two of them were flywheel and
            torque converter, and the case has a large crack on the top of it.
            The final price was almost $2900 with a 12 month warrantee. I
            asked about their extensed warrantee but he said it wasn't
            available for this type of vehicle.

            Removing and reinstalling a transmission is a little out of my
            depth, so I don't think I have much of a choice as far as that
            goes. I really wish I could get an extended warrantee though. I
            emailed AAMCO to ask why it wasn't available for a motorhome.
            But at least it's covered for the first year. I hope after this nothing
            major goes wrong for a while.

            Maureen

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Frogmobile
            <frogmobile@e...> wrote:
            > I think the original poster mentioned that the case was
            cracked, which
            > would require a new core which would probably drive the cost
            somewhat north
            > of the $500 you mentioned, but yes, $3500 still sounds steep
            for a rebuilt
            > transmission likely to be found in one of our classic RVs.
            >
            > And in response to the original message, yes, a cracked
            transmission can
            > (and probably will) cause vibrations.
            >
            > Jay

          • khodabear
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 30, 2003
              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Maureen" <mwood@e...> wrote:
              > AAMCO gave me a list of about twenty parts that need to be
              > replaced in the transmission over and above the bands and
              > things they normally replace.

              Let me tell you my story.
              I was driving from Colorado to Indiana in a 1983 Ford E150 van. The
              rear main seal was leaking but in Iowa it really started to dump. I
              stopped at my sisters home and my nephew and I pulled the
              transmission and replaced the seal.
              When we put it back, it would not upshift out of first. Tried
              everything we could - no dice.
              Took it to AAmco. Their service tech drove it and came back
              pronouncing that I had "lunched second gear" and I'd have to have a
              full rebuild. This made no sense. All we did was R & R it. I left.
              I went to the Ford Truck dealer in Devenport. Their service tech
              took it out for a drive. He came back and said "here you go - it's ok
              now". I was impressed.
              Turns out we had gotten some dirt in a cooler line when we did
              our job and that had lodged somewhere it shouldn't have. This guy had
              just run it up so fast in first that it sucked it through. It was
              fine ever since. He said that dirt entering the system during an R &
              R was something that can happen and it was not all that unusual.

              So.....you just might want to get a second opinion. I presume
              that not all AAmco shops are run like that one...but it was a lesson
              for me.

              Peter
            • Dennis Simpson
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 30, 2003
                Before you plunk down any money to AAMCO, please
                check a couple of other shops. Look for a non-franchise
                independent. You may be pleasantly surprised.
                Denny
                **********************

                At 04:58 AM 9/30/03 +0000, you wrote:
                >AAMCO gave me a list of about twenty parts that need to be
                >replaced in the transmission over and above the bands and
                >things they normally replace. Two of them were flywheel and
                >torque converter, and the case has a large crack on the top of it.
                >The final price was almost $2900 with a 12 month warrantee.
              • lmoney
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 30, 2003
                  there crooks check out outher places my trans needed a ajustment and they told me i needed a whole transmisson went i went down to check ont my rv they should me a trans on the bench that wasnt even mine when i got there i looked under my rv in the parking lot and the trans was still in it i confronted the manger and he said the mech made a mistake and the mech working on my trans was off that day what a bunch of bull i called the main head quaters and they said they are indpently owned and that they would try and talk to the owner bull they sent it two anouther shop and guess what they fixed it or was supposed to i picked it up with a 1200.00 bill i only had 700.00 on me the origanal price i was given so the shop manger told me to take it home and bring him the balance in the morning i got about 10 miles from the shop and it jumped into reverse at 50 miles per hour almost caused a hell of a wreck i pulled of us 19 in port richy fla and left it there i called the main office again and demmand a refun they said to take it too anouther shop and they would make up for my problems bull stuck me twice i took it to anouther place and he fixed everthing fot 75.00 he said it was a linkage problem so be careful of them ben in fla
                  Before you plunk down any money to AAMCO, please
                  check a couple of other shops. Look for a non-franchise
                  independent. You may be pleasantly surprised.
                  Denny
                  **********************

                  At 04:58 AM 9/30/03 +0000, you wrote:
                  >AAMCO gave me a list of about twenty parts that need to be
                  >replaced in the transmission over and above the bands and
                  >things they normally replace. Two of them were flywheel and
                  >torque converter, and the case has a large crack on the top of it.
                  >The final price was almost $2900 with a 12 month warrantee.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • mjwmjf@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 30, 2003
                    AAMCO transmissions is a BIG rip-off!

                    I had service done there once for a car I owned and got sucked into an AAMCO rebuilt transmission at a cost of $800.00!

                    Then a second time with another car and another $800.00 AAMCO rebuilt. That transmission lasted 1 week, the replacement lasted 1 month and THAT replacement lasted 2 weeks.

                    A visit to the dealer and the 3rd replacement was fixed in no time with a vacuum control modulator box. Something AAMCO NEVER changed!

                    I would suggest to EVERYONE to stay away from them!

                    Check this link for another persons AAMCO horror story...

                    http://www.netcomplaints.com/Search_Results.cfm
                  • mjwmjf@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 30, 2003
                      I guess the link isnt working but if you go to that complaint website and type in aamco in the search you'll see it.
                    • Rob McCormick
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 1, 2003
                        When I was still a teenager ( over 20 yrs ago) AAMCO tried to rip me off. Their scam was offering a free filter and fluid change. I took my 1973 Grand Torino (with about 50,000 on it) and they said it needed to be rebuilt. I told them to leave it alone. I never had any issues with the transmission.