Re: Squealing fan belts, which one?

  • misterbuzzer
    Message 1 of 44 , Sep 3, 2003
      The soap bar trick works, but it seems to penetrate, or glaze the
      belt, and force you to replace it. It actually lubricates the belt,
      and lets it slip without making the noise.

      I have found a better way is to use a little water squirt bottle and
      wet one belt at a time. As soon as you get water on the noisey belt,
      it will instantly quiet down - only for a minute until it dries off,
      but you can then re-tension it without leaving any residue that will
      destroy the belt.

      Good luck.

      Hale

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "tarscampbell" <tarscampbell@w...>
      wrote:
      > To find which belt is squealing on a rig with multiple belts, soap
      > down the sides of the first, front, belt with a bar of Ivory or like
      > soap, just rub it on both side with a dry bar. Just work towards the
      > engine one belt at a time till you find the offending belt. When the
      > squeal stops you have found the squealing belt.
      >
      > On one of our dodge vans it squeals once in a while with the air
      > conditioning on. I use the soap trick on it till I can replace the
      > belt.
    • Jim
      Message 44 of 44 , Sep 4, 2003
        Reminds me of another instance .. Chevy Lumina van, flat ribbed
        belt. Voltage reading would nose dive to 0. Almost always when I
        was idleing .. blip the throttle and you would hear a small 'chirp'
        and the alternator would start working .. or take off from a stop and
        it would come back .. or idle for more than 30 seconds or so then it
        would drop, come back, drop ... but never a long squeal.

        Had a real slow leak from the water pump that would drip on the belt
        where I could not see it. When the engine was cold there was no
        pressure so it didn't leak and alternator would work fine .. for
        awhile. I'd open the hood and look and see nothing of note
        (alternator kind of hidden from view on this vehicle). Alternator
        tested good and belt/tension was fine. Happened to have the hood
        open and noticed the alternator was NOT spinning for about 2 seconds
        and then would spin. Shut the engine off and waited. Veeeeeery slow
        non-continious quick-dribble water leak. Never reached the
        pavement. Replaced the water pump and problem went away. Off and on
        two days to sort out.

        I'm assuming things like this happens to others :)

        Jim

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "misterbuzzer" <misterbuzzer@y...>