Re: 1978 440 Dodge dog house

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 31, 2003
      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Eric " <niteowl440@h...> wrote:
      > A Bud of mine has used the spray-on URE insulation foam. It also
      > helped to stiffen up the dog-house.

      Spray on? Have a name brand? I've only seen the 'fill the cavity'
      type.

      Thanx,
      Jim
    • Chappell, Joel B
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 2, 2003
        Roger-

        Are you sure there isn't a pair of switches that controls this? There is a
        pair in my Pace Arrow located inside the rear [left] wall of the overhead
        cabinet above our sofa that controls this. It selects front or rear A/C off
        shore power and you can run both simultaneously off the Onan, all through
        different switch positions.

        Joel in NH

      • Roger Phillips
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 2, 2003
          > Roger-
          >
          > Are you sure there isn't a pair of switches that controls this? There is
          > a pair in my Pace Arrow located inside the rear [left] wall of the
          > overhead cabinet above our sofa that controls this. It selects front or
          > rear A/C off shore power and you can run both simultaneously off the
          > Onan, all through different switch positions.
          >
          > Joel in NH

          Boy, do I feel dumb! I looked hard, but there doesn't seem to be any
          switches. However, when I checked my A/C units, I plugged my shore power
          cable into the Titan generator, since I don't have a 30 amp cable coming
          from the house (yet!). I then ran the front a/c off of that. Guess what I
          forgot to do, when I was done with it?? I neglected to plug it back in to
          the Coachmen box from the generator...reading Joel's reply made me look at
          discovered this. Now, both generators run quite happily from the
          generator!

          I did find a romex 120V line disconnected back behind to power panel.
          Don't know what it's from, since all my outlets inside work - it's
          possible it was for a switch at one time, won't really know until I track
          it down, if that's even possible...

          Thanks to all who responded! Now, back outside to hook up my back-up
          camera and monitor...

          Roger Phillips
          Moderator, www.rcuniverse.com
          AMA #387890
        • John Hensley
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 2, 2003
            Roger,
            You should have, if its like my '88 Eurocoach, a
            couple of switches in the power control panel
            compartment to switch which A/C runs on shore power.
            If your RV came with a big enough genset (5.5-6.5KW)
            both A/C should run off gen as mine does.
            Good luck,
            John Henlsey

            --- Roger Phillips <antiqueflyer@...> wrote:

            > I finally breathed life into my 6300 Onan generator
            > on my '82 Coachmen. I
            > have found that the rear A/C works off the
            > generator, while the front
            > works off shore power. How does it know?? :o)
            >
            > Anyway, I would like to at least reverse the two,
            > since I most often will
            > be on shore power when stopped, and then have the
            > bedroom cool, and on
            > generator going down the road, with the front being
            > cool, where everyone
            > will happen to be. Ideally, it would be nice to be
            > able to switch which
            > one runs either way...
            >
            > Has anyone on the list ever done anything like this?
            > And know where I
            > should start looking for the connections, etc?
            >
            > Anyone happen to have a Coachmen manual on this rig?
            >
            > Thanks in advance!
            >
            > --
            > Roger Phillips
            > '82 33' Coachmen, '77 26' Titan (for sale in
            > Indiana)
            > Moderator, www.rcuniverse.com
            > AMA #387890

            http://search.yahoo.com
          • CRV
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 18, 2003
              Hi Earl--

              Can you tell if my system is ready to be modified for the generator or shore
              power to run all systems, dual A/C included?

              My power panel runs a 20 Amp breaker for the A/C switch--I choose front or
              rear A/C and the switch sends it 20 Amps. My generator also feeds this
              switch through another 20 Amp breaker. I believe I'm supposed to be able to
              run both A/Cs by using shore and generator power, but you've said you can
              run them with Only shore OR generator power.

              Did you rewire the dual a/c Front/Rear switch? If so, maybe I could pick
              your brain for a few details? I had the switch apart last night, tracing
              out all the 110v wiring, and I understand the switch and the power circuits
              for the A/C well enough to label the wires, but that switch (16 terminals, 2
              positions) is a little spooky, not sure I know what to bridge or jump to
              have both A/Cs availabe as you said. Also, did you need to upgrade the 110V
              wiring and breaker ( like maybe 10 ga wire and 40 amp breaker)?

              Thanks a bunch.

              Ned Bedinger
              1984 Winnebago Chieftain 30'
              Southworth, WA

              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 19, 2003
                YOUCAN CALLL ME AT HOME AND I;LL HELP YOU

              • wildebill308@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 19, 2003

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 19, 2003
                    --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "earl crist" <earick@l...> wrote:
                    > YOUCAN CALLL ME AT HOME AND I;LL HELP YOU

                    -------I think your ideas will work to get power to both a/c at the
                    same time. The problem is do you have enough power to run both at
                    the same time(both take about 15 amps so thats 30) with out damaging
                    them or your outher circuts.They might run but you will be
                    overloading your circuts.Be shure to check your voltege on your
                    shore line Verey few places have clean 110-115. I did see a
                    controler in one of the new coaches that switched back and forth
                    between front and rear ac units.
                    Good luck and Happey holidays.
                    Bill

                  • girdle
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 19, 2003
                      On some of the motorhomes I have looked at there is a manual switch that lets you switch between front and rear A/C while on 30 amp shore power. However that switch will not let you run both at the same time while on shore power. My '88 Winnebago Elandan is set up that way. However when you run the generator(6500 watt) then both A/C's can be run if the switch is set to ' front '. When the generator is running it is wired to run the rear A/C no matter where you have the switch set. But in order to run the front with the generator on, (so both A/C's are on) the switch must be set to the ' front' position. Hope this helps.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 19, 2003
                        My '84 Winnebago has a front/rear switch (Type PR20, made by Electro Switch
                        Co--it is a really elaborate device with room for 16 wires and two distinct
                        sources of power to be hooked up).

                        In the Chieftain, this switch is down near floor level, where the aisle
                        passes through the galley. Right next to that switch is a rectangular metal
                        "plaque" that says something like Rear AC Circuit breaker, and it has a120V
                        outlet and a 20 Amp circuit breaker button. Funny thing about this circuit
                        breaker and outlet, I've always been a little mystified by it because the
                        plaque looks to be brass and has a certain vintage, high quality look, but
                        whenever I plug into it, its always dead, no juice. I have had a half
                        suspicion that it was the original circuit breaker and outlet, and was
                        disconnected when the stuff in the coach fuse box was added.

                        As it turns out, that 20 Amp breaker and outlet is wired directly to the
                        generator, and is only energized when the generator is running (so I now
                        know not to try resetting the breaker and plugging the floor vaccum in there
                        when I'm on shore power).

                        The front/back switch is really a piece of work it gets power for the A/C
                        from shore power 20 Amp circuit breaker (in the house breaker box) AND ALSO
                        from the 20 Amp breaker/outlet from the generator. It manages two A/Cs and
                        two power sources, and keeps them isolated from each other.

                        As far as I can tell, the generator has a separate 30 Amp and 20 Amp circuit
                        (which is 20 Amps more than I can get from my shorepower connection). I am
                        beginning to wonder if the generator's 20Amp circuit (the one that is wired
                        to front/rear A/C circuit) is dedicated ONLY for rear AC and not available
                        for anything else?

                        > On some of the motorhomes I have looked at there is a manual switch that
                        lets you switch between front and rear A/C while on 30 amp shore power.
                        However that switch will not let you run both at the same time while on
                        shore power. My '88 Winnebago Elandan is set up that way. However when
                        you run the generator(6500 watt) then both A/C's can be run if the switch is
                        set to ' front '. When the generator is running it is wired to run the
                        rear A/C no matter where you have the switch set. But in order to run the
                        front with the generator on, (so both A/C's are on) the switch must be set
                        to the ' front' position. Hope this helps.

                        > wildebill308@... wrote:--- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "earl
                        crist" <earick@l...> wrote:
                        > > YOUCAN CALLL ME AT HOME AND I;LL HELP YOU

                        > -------I think your ideas will work to get power to both a/c at the
                        > same time. The problem is do you have enough power to run both at
                        > the same time(both take about 15 amps so thats 30) with out damaging
                        > them or your outher circuts.They might run but you will be
                        > overloading your circuts.Be shure to check your voltege on your
                        > shore line Verey few places have clean 110-115. I did see a
                        > controler in one of the new coaches that switched back and forth
                        > between front and rear ac units.
                        > Good luck and Happey holidays.
                        > Bill

                      • louiegeorge2001
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 21, 2003
                          I helped a friend set his up so he could pick and choose which air to
                          run from either source. His came wired with the rear air wired to
                          the generator and the front to the shore power connection. Under the
                          bed in the rear we located the power cables going to each of the air
                          conditioners. We cut the cables and wired in a plug and recepticle
                          for each. We used dryer plugs and recepticles because they will
                          handle the current and are readily and cheaply available. We labeled
                          the plugs and recepticles, now he just plugs the air conditioner he
                          wants to use into the available power source. A low tech, low dollar
                          solution. Not as easy as a switch, but a lot easier to figure out.
                          Louie