Re: [classicrv] Ned's awning report

  • nbedinger
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2003
      Hi too you Joel! Are you logging in from a remote mountain lake campsite
      this holiday? I figured everyone else must be "out there", didn't expect to
      hear anything back for days yet. I'm glad yer hanging in, and I appreciate
      the sage advice.

      Sounds to me like you've been there and done that. I've made a printout of
      the All Seasons/Elkhart contact information to store with my RV manuals,
      owner documents, etc. Some savvy web developer ought to pitch them a web
      site, they might become pretty popular with classic rv'ers by taking up the
      slack in the line left by Dometic/A&E.

      I did piddle around on the Dometic web site for a while. They're A-1
      All-Stars at concealing anything I might find useful in the way of A&E
      awnings (aside from a few static pics of gazebo awnings on mobile homes), so
      I checked out some of the Euro-looking RV doors. Boyo, I like that top
      hatch with the gal sticking her head out. I've been thinking of putting a
      flying bridge (with dual conning setup) topside, so the hatch would be a
      fine way to get up there and back. Also I might, one day when the condition
      of all my basement bay doors exceeds 50% rumpled or crooked, consider
      upgrading them to the style of bay door that Dometic is selling. I might,
      that is, except that Dometic's marketing blurbs and instructions are ALL
      geared to manufacturers. The doors, for instance: their instructions say
      to save the piece you cut out of the siding, and use it as the face of the
      door. Methinks they're not aiming for the classic rv market. On the other
      hand, a few square feet of boilerplate, or maybe some plywood with red oak
      veneer and a thorough coat of spar varnish, would fix 'em up classic-style.

      Anyway, I've promised myself to *finish* at least one thing this summer, so
      I guess I am going to nail that awning. The good news is that my primary
      job description includes "performing self-apendectomy..." and "changing
      tires on moving vehicles"--I may be qualified go the DIY route on the
      practical stuff like the metal parts. I'll check with Camping World about
      price of inserts, but the prices I've seen there for big awnings will keep
      them off of my short list of projects this year.

      So, this could be as simple as making a call to All Seasons, browsing a
      parts list for an Imperial 8000 model, and installing a few aluminium parts.
      Wow, finished my summer project by July 10 :^)

      Happy Fourth of July.

      --Ned

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2003
        ---Ned. My travel partner had the same problem with a similar awning.
        Not sure what brand but it operated the same as yours. We corrected
        his problem in a simple way. Considering he didn't want to spend much
        money or time solving this problem, we just extended the booms where
        they needed to be and drilled a 1/4 inch hole through it and he just
        puts a pin in it when he sets up. Works just fine. He was going to
        order parts later on but found this works well enough. That was
        several years ago. Also he had a fabric tear about the same size and
        place that you describe. Previous owner turned to sharp to the right
        and clipped a tree with the last foot of awning, tore the fabric. We
        repaired that rip by first sewing with a sewing awl (purchase at
        hardware store, comes with everything you need) then we coated both
        side with cool seal. Several coats along the sewn seam worked well.
        Sincerely Dan G.
      • nbedinger
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2003
          I found some adhesive-backed dacron fabric used for temporary sail
          repairs--it looks wide enough to cover the rip. I think I am going to try
          and stitch it on and seal it up as you described. I'll post an update when
          done.