RE: [classicrv] Ned's awning report

  • Joel B. Chappell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4 8:32 AM
      Hi Ned!

      Sounds like you have a two-fold problem Ned. First you need to get the
      mechanical [frame] for the awning fixed up, and then you need to attack the
      fabric side of things.

      First; the frame.

      Look for an A&E model tag on the uprights or brackets to determine what you
      have. Sounds like a model 8000 to me. Then, do not call Dometic/A&E, as they
      are practically no help at all. They don’t want to know about their old
      products at all [looking at their website leads you to believe they don’t
      want you to know much about their new stuff either].

      Instead, call All Seasons RV Appliance Parts & Service at 1-800 344-0673 or
      (219) 293-4591. They are at 1150 Mitchell Johnson Drive, Elkhart, IN 45516
      [don’t loose this info, because there are several All Seasons RV joints
      around the country… I had to really dig to remember where I hid this info
      :>)]

      This All Seasons has parts and illustrated parts breakdowns for all of the
      older series A&E awnings. Some are in PDF format and the nice lady on the
      parts counter will file attach the info to an e-mail [that’s how I got
      mine]. Once equipped with this you can order replacements for the broken
      parts of your framework and get that functioning, as it should. The “sprung”
      extender arm retainers on my 8000 look like they pop-rivet into the extender
      arms. The arms do dis-assemble, but you need to be careful about tripping
      the spring inside the roller when you remove them. Do the left side first to
      get a feel for the job.

      Second; The Vinyl.

      If it were my rig and problem, I would drive to the nearest Camping world
      and have them install a new vinyl insert. It’s not a job for first timers
      unless you have a lot of practice wallpapering on a ladder and recovering
      fabric on airplanes while in flight. If it just needs a good cleaning and
      spot repair, fine… but if it is really bad, save up for a new one, and have
      it professionally installed… because I guarantee you will discover new words
      in your vocabulary that you have never heard before if you try to DIY as a
      first timer.

      Stay cool,
      Joel in NH – Happy 4th of July All!

      Handy Hints to Buying Used RVs – Make owner show you how easy it is to raise
      and lower awning…

      Joel B. Chappell - KC1SG
      21 Billings Street
      Milford, NH 03055

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4 9:31 AM
        Hi too you Joel! Are you logging in from a remote mountain lake campsite
        this holiday? I figured everyone else must be "out there", didn't expect to
        hear anything back for days yet. I'm glad yer hanging in, and I appreciate
        the sage advice.

        Sounds to me like you've been there and done that. I've made a printout of
        the All Seasons/Elkhart contact information to store with my RV manuals,
        owner documents, etc. Some savvy web developer ought to pitch them a web
        site, they might become pretty popular with classic rv'ers by taking up the
        slack in the line left by Dometic/A&E.

        I did piddle around on the Dometic web site for a while. They're A-1
        All-Stars at concealing anything I might find useful in the way of A&E
        awnings (aside from a few static pics of gazebo awnings on mobile homes), so
        I checked out some of the Euro-looking RV doors. Boyo, I like that top
        hatch with the gal sticking her head out. I've been thinking of putting a
        flying bridge (with dual conning setup) topside, so the hatch would be a
        fine way to get up there and back. Also I might, one day when the condition
        of all my basement bay doors exceeds 50% rumpled or crooked, consider
        upgrading them to the style of bay door that Dometic is selling. I might,
        that is, except that Dometic's marketing blurbs and instructions are ALL
        geared to manufacturers. The doors, for instance: their instructions say
        to save the piece you cut out of the siding, and use it as the face of the
        door. Methinks they're not aiming for the classic rv market. On the other
        hand, a few square feet of boilerplate, or maybe some plywood with red oak
        veneer and a thorough coat of spar varnish, would fix 'em up classic-style.

        Anyway, I've promised myself to *finish* at least one thing this summer, so
        I guess I am going to nail that awning. The good news is that my primary
        job description includes "performing self-apendectomy..." and "changing
        tires on moving vehicles"--I may be qualified go the DIY route on the
        practical stuff like the metal parts. I'll check with Camping World about
        price of inserts, but the prices I've seen there for big awnings will keep
        them off of my short list of projects this year.

        So, this could be as simple as making a call to All Seasons, browsing a
        parts list for an Imperial 8000 model, and installing a few aluminium parts.
        Wow, finished my summer project by July 10 :^)

        Happy Fourth of July.

        --Ned

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4 10:23 AM
          ---Ned. My travel partner had the same problem with a similar awning.
          Not sure what brand but it operated the same as yours. We corrected
          his problem in a simple way. Considering he didn't want to spend much
          money or time solving this problem, we just extended the booms where
          they needed to be and drilled a 1/4 inch hole through it and he just
          puts a pin in it when he sets up. Works just fine. He was going to
          order parts later on but found this works well enough. That was
          several years ago. Also he had a fabric tear about the same size and
          place that you describe. Previous owner turned to sharp to the right
          and clipped a tree with the last foot of awning, tore the fabric. We
          repaired that rip by first sewing with a sewing awl (purchase at
          hardware store, comes with everything you need) then we coated both
          side with cool seal. Several coats along the sewn seam worked well.
          Sincerely Dan G.
        • nbedinger
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 10 7:17 PM
            I found some adhesive-backed dacron fabric used for temporary sail
            repairs--it looks wide enough to cover the rip. I think I am going to try
            and stitch it on and seal it up as you described. I'll post an update when
            done.