H5D Emissions (454) P-30?

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 30, 2003
      Having trouble with my check engine light staying on costantly. Use
      to only come on after 1-2 hour driving time and reset after shuting
      engine off and restarting, now it comes on at start up and remains
      on. I have a manual but it doesn't go into detail on troubleshooting.
      Any Experts out their? Air pumps are functioning and filter is new,
      all hoses look OK.
      Thanks
      Kevin

      1987 Holiday Rambler (28ft)
      4bbl carb
      dual exhaust
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2 11:45 AM
        Hi,

        If there is not a means to get trouble-codes via visual coding
        (usually a blinking light sequence) you may want to take a trip down
        to your local parts jobber to get an OBD I/II (or functional
        equivilant for your year vehicle) tester that plugs into your harness
        via a dedicated connector and diag from there.

        http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/eqobdiicodre.html as an example. There
        are models available for various manufactures/year vehicle combo's ..
        hence asking the jobber .. or perhaps the manufacture of the vehicle?

        I'd check it out ASARP though.

        Hope this helps,
        Jim

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <conkl@r...> wrote:
        > Having trouble with my check engine light staying on costantly.
        Use
        > to only come on after 1-2 hour driving time and reset after shuting
        > engine off and restarting, now it comes on at start up and remains
        > on. I have a manual but it doesn't go into detail on
        troubleshooting.
        > Any Experts out their? Air pumps are functioning and filter is new,
        > all hoses look OK.
        > Thanks
        > Kevin
        >
        > 1987 Holiday Rambler (28ft)
        > 4bbl carb
        > dual exhaust
      • argosymH
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2 2:22 PM
          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <klasix@y...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > If there is not a means to get trouble-codes via visual coding
          > (usually a blinking light sequence)

          If you short the 2 terminals on the upper right of the ALDL conector
          (little rectangular
          connector with 2 rows of pins, should be under the dash near the
          steering column)
          and turn the ignition key to ignition the stored codes will dump
          through the check
          engine light. First it will flash 12 three times. It does this by
          flashing the light once,
          then twice. After it flashes 12 three times it will begin to flash
          any codes stored. 2
          flashes then 2 flashes will be 22, etc. Each stored code will flash 3
          times. When all the
          codes are flashed it will start over with 12 and then the stored
          codes again. Most
          service manuals will have a chart which will tell you what the
          code(s) mean, check
          with the parts store, etc. If the computer hasn't been cleared it
          will show everything
          that ever set a code. I would unhook the battery for 5 minutes, start
          it and let it run
          until the check engine light came on. This way you won't be looking
          at a code from
          years ago.

          John
        • Kevin
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2 3:11 PM
            Thanks,
            Unfortunately my system (1987) is prior to any onboard diagnostics
            no codes, no scanners, and no connectors to short out for codes. Wish
            it was that easy. Thankls again for your replies.
            Kevin

            .com, "argosymH" <Reconstructor24@a...> wrote:
            > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <klasix@y...> wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > If there is not a means to get trouble-codes via visual coding
            > > (usually a blinking light sequence)
            >
            > If you short the 2 terminals on the upper right of the ALDL conector
            > (little rectangular
            > connector with 2 rows of pins, should be under the dash near the
            > steering column)
            > and turn the ignition key to ignition the stored codes will dump
            > through the check
            > engine light. First it will flash 12 three times. It does this by
            > flashing the light once,
            > then twice. After it flashes 12 three times it will begin to flash
            > any codes stored. 2
            > flashes then 2 flashes will be 22, etc. Each stored code will flash
            3
            > times. When all the
            > codes are flashed it will start over with 12 and then the stored
            > codes again. Most
            > service manuals will have a chart which will tell you what the
            > code(s) mean, check
            > with the parts store, etc. If the computer hasn't been cleared it
            > will show everything
            > that ever set a code. I would unhook the battery for 5 minutes,
            start
            > it and let it run
            > until the check engine light came on. This way you won't be looking
            > at a code from
            > years ago.
            >
            > John
          • argosymH
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2 4:21 PM
              What is your check engine light running off of?

              John
            • Jim
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2 5:26 PM
                Ditto.

                Jim

                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "argosymH" <Reconstructor24@a...>
                wrote:
                > What is your check engine light running off of?
                >
                > John
              • Jim
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 2 5:32 PM
                  Searched the net and it appears OBD II was mandated by the feds in
                  1987 (OBD/I prior) so I'm pretty sure that is what you have. "Check
                  engine light" = computer.

                  At a loss.

                  Jim

                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <conkl@r...> wrote:
                  > Thanks,
                  > Unfortunately my system (1987) is prior to any onboard diagnostics
                  no codes, no scanners, and no connectors to short out for codes. Wish
                  it was that easy. Thankls again for your replies.
                  Kevin
                • misterbuzzer
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 2 7:22 PM
                    I don't know if the codes are the same, but, using the A-B ADL short
                    codes, if you want to post the error code numbers, I may have the
                    specific failure expalnation from my manuals.

                    I don't have a computer code read out capability for my 454 M/Home,
                    but I do have all the result codes for my Corvette "toy" car, and I
                    think they are all the same codes for the pre 1991 vintages.

                    Good Luck. (It's simpler than it seems.)

                    Hale

                    are --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "argosymH"
                    <Reconstructor24@a...> wrote:
                    > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <klasix@y...> wrote:
                    > > Hi,
                    > >
                    > > If there is not a means to get trouble-codes via visual coding
                    > > (usually a blinking light sequence)
                    >
                    > If you short the 2 terminals on the upper right of the ALDL conector
                    > (little rectangular
                    > connector with 2 rows of pins, should be under the dash near the
                    > steering column)
                    > and turn the ignition key to ignition the stored codes will dump
                    > through the check
                    > engine light. First it will flash 12 three times. It does this by
                    > flashing the light once,
                    > then twice. After it flashes 12 three times it will begin to flash
                    > any codes stored. 2
                    > flashes then 2 flashes will be 22, etc. Each stored code will flash 3
                    > times. When all the
                    > codes are flashed it will start over with 12 and then the stored
                    > codes again. Most
                    > service manuals will have a chart which will tell you what the
                    > code(s) mean, check
                    > with the parts store, etc. If the computer hasn't been cleared it
                    > will show everything
                    > that ever set a code. I would unhook the battery for 5 minutes, start
                    > it and let it run
                    > until the check engine light came on. This way you won't be looking
                    > at a code from
                    > years ago.
                    >
                    > John
                  • Frogmobile
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 3 12:05 AM
                      OBD II may have been mandated in 1987, but it appeared on vehicles
                      beginning with the 1996 model year.

                      Other than that, I agree that if there is a check engine light, there is a
                      way to diagnose it; that's why it's there.

                      Someone had previously described the connector as having two rows of
                      pins. I believe in 1987 they were still using the single-row connector,
                      but the procedure for retrieving the codes should be the same.

                      Jay

                      At 12:32 AM 7/3/03 +0000, you wrote:
                      >Searched the net and it appears OBD II was mandated by the feds in
                      >1987 (OBD/I prior) so I'm pretty sure that is what you have. "Check
                      >engine light" = computer.
                      >
                      >At a loss.
                      >
                      >Jim
                      >
                      >--- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <conkl@r...> wrote:
                      > > Thanks,
                      > > Unfortunately my system (1987) is prior to any onboard diagnostics
                      >no codes, no scanners, and no connectors to short out for codes. Wish
                      >it was that easy. Thankls again for your replies.
                      >Kevin

                    • Kevin
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 3 3:08 AM
                        The check Engine light is a monitor for the A.I.R. system. This
                        system consist of dual air pumps, solenoid controled air valves (2),
                        various hoses, a relay and a controller mudule. It pumps air into the
                        outgoing exhaust. The chassis manual I have does not talk about or
                        indicate any trouble codes or diagnostic connectors. It state this
                        system was used between 1985 and 1988. I want to know how to diagnos
                        the controller.
                        Kevin
                        -- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <klasix@y...> wrote:
                        > Ditto.
                        >
                        > Jim
                        >
                        > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "argosymH" <Reconstructor24@a...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > What is your check engine light running off of?
                        > >
                        > > John
                      • Jim
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 3 4:34 AM
                          Familiar with AIR, Cramero had it (81) .. all units I've tinkered
                          with were 'analog' (mechanical).

                          I did look for info on the setup you described and nada thing. I'll
                          poke around some more later today and let you know if I find anything.

                          Take care,
                          JIm

                          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <conkl@r...> wrote:
                          > The check Engine light is a monitor for the A.I.R. system. This
                          > system consist of dual air pumps, solenoid controled air valves
                          (2),
                          > various hoses, a relay and a controller mudule. It pumps air into
                          the
                          > outgoing exhaust. The chassis manual I have does not talk about or
                          > indicate any trouble codes or diagnostic connectors. It state this
                          > system was used between 1985 and 1988. I want to know how to
                          diagnos
                          > the controller.
                          > Kevin
                          > -- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <klasix@y...> wrote:
                          > > Ditto.
                          > >
                          > > Jim
                          > >
                          > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "argosymH"
                          <Reconstructor24@a...>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > > What is your check engine light running off of?
                          > > >
                          > > > John
                        • argosymH
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 4 5:10 PM
                            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <conkl@r...> wrote:
                            > The check Engine light is a monitor for the A.I.R. system. This
                            > system consist of dual air pumps, solenoid controled air valves (2),
                            > various hoses, a relay and a controller mudule. It pumps air into the
                            > outgoing exhaust. The chassis manual I have does not talk about or
                            > indicate any trouble codes or diagnostic connectors. It state this
                            > system was used between 1985 and 1988. I want to know how to diagnos
                            > the controller.

                            Are the solenoid valves working? Relay working? Air pumps putting out? If it is the
                            controller I doubt if it is servicable, most likely just replace.

                            John